John Scofield

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, April 04, 2010, 07:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouEnjoyMyReba

Does anybody know what Scofield uses, particularly on the A Go Go album
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

sour d

I know he uses the xp100 for a whammy pedal
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Poster

he uses a dumble super overdrive for the super clean

^ whoops was thinking michael kang...

its the sundown amps, much like the dumbles

Brian27

i think he uses pro co Rat and a chorus pedal for those leslie type sounds

Poster

John Scofield made this Gibson ES335 copy famous. It has been his main guitar since 1981 and has played it for over 2 decades. It's also the longest running guitar model in the Ibanez history. According to John the original Ibanez AS200 guitars from the early 80s were some of the best semi-acoustic electric guitars ever made. It's a very well made instrument and really balanced in tone from the highs to the lows. He uses the treble element with the highs rolled off.

John Scofield only uses D'Addario strings. The strings on his AS200 are a custom set: .013, .016, .022, .032, .042, .052.

John's signature guitars, the Ibanez JSM100 and JSM200, are based on the Ibanez As200. The JSM100 has a Prestige neck, a side output jack and super 58 pick ups.

This nylon string flamenco guitar is especially designed by George Katechis Montalvo for Scofield's album Quiet.

-a small-body 1941 Martin guitar (used on Groove Elation and I Can See Your House From Here)
-a Guild jumbo flattop
-Takamine NP 65-C

John Scofield has got two old Sundown amps. Each one has a 12 inch speaker. Sundown amps were made by Dennis Kager, but are now out of production.

Mesa Boogie Mark I Reissue

A 100 watts guitar amp with a spring reverb and a 12 inch speaker.
   Mesa Boogie Mark I Reissue

Other Guitar Amps

-Vox AC3
-Mesa Boogie Mark III with E/V speakers

John Scofield Guitar Effects  Guitar Effects

ProCo RAT Distortion Pedal

The RAT is a distortion pedal designed by Scott Richard Burnham who started ProCo in 1975. Scofield uses it to fatten up his sound. He uses just a little bit of distortion, but with the tone (filter) knob all the way up. He has 6 or 7 of the older RATs.

Bill Frisell also uses the RAT.

More information about the ProCo Rat reissue
   Proco Rat distortion pedal

Ibanez CS9 Analog Chorus

John uses this chorus pedal with both controls cranked open to get that typical Leslie effect.
   Ibanez Tube Screamer

Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler

This modeler has got a collection of vintage filter and monophonic synth effects.

John uses the Line 6 expression pedal to control his line 6 gear.

More information about the Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler
   Line 6 Delay Modeler

Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler

A digital modeling pedal based on 15 vintage delay and echo effects.

This delay is also used by Bill Frisell.

More information about the Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
   Line 6 Delay Modeler

Other Guitar Effects

-Digitech XP100 Whammy/Wah
-Boss EQ Pedal
-Boss Loop Station
-Boomerang Phrase Sampler

John Scofield Guitar Picks  Guitar Picks

John Scofield uses Dunlop Delrin 2mm picks.

................owned ;p

YouEnjoyMyReba

good post there poster thanks and thanks everyone else as well
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

Armenian Man

he also uses  a boss tremolo, keeley modded, I know its kinda in and out of his rig though

fulltone1989

You can find it all under the "equipment" section of his website.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.