The art of good guitar playing...

Started by cactuskeeb, October 06, 2010, 09:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishlips

I like all these exercises, especially the skipping 3rds one. 
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

cactuskeeb

FYI, it seems the video (lesson 3) no longer plays on the blog.  However, it seems he just recently posted it on his youtube channel, where you can find all of his videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeshubin

Happyorange27

Quote from: cactuskeeb on October 09, 2010, 08:21:55 PM
FYI, it seems the video (lesson 3) no longer plays on the blog.  However, it seems he just recently posted it on his youtube channel, where you can find all of his videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeshubin

Weird coincidence.  I'm watching the video on the blog and your reply above notifies me via email.  Anyway, it's working for me on the blog but thanks for the link anyway.  I'm kind of fascinated with these little tid bits.  Cactus, you are a cool cat by the way.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

some good practice if you want to practice patterns with bigger leaps:
After getting past the first octave I am referring to the extensions of the notes, hence, 2nd scale tone =9, 4th = 11, and 6th=13
3rds:R,3,2,4,3,5,4,6,5,7,6,1,7,9,1,3,9,11....
4ths: R,4,2,5,3,6,4,7,5,1,6,9,7,3,R,11...
5ths: R,5,2,6,3,7,4,R,5,9,6,3,7,11,R,5...
6ths: R,6,2,7,3,R,4,9,5,3,6,11,7,5,R,13...
7ths: R,7,2,R,3,9,4,3,5,11,6,5,7,6,R,7...

Also with pattern that Patrick was mentioning 1,2,3,2,3,4,3,4,5,4,5,6,5,6,7,6,7,8... Practice this as 1/8, triplets, & 16th notes.  The cool sounding one is doing it in 16th notes in 4/4 time.  Or do runs of 4 (1,2,3,4,2,3,4,5,3,4,5,6,4,5,6,7,5,6,7,8,6,7,1,2,7,1,2,3,1,2,3,4...) practice in 1/8ths, triplets &16th notes.  This pattern sounds really cool in triplets over 4/4 time.  Use a metronome so you can really hear the difference. 

Anyway, this stuff is tedious but they are great exercises to be able to get through.  I wouldn't draw on it too much when improvising, but it sure sounds cool to pull off some of the ideas that involve them every once in a little while in little spurts.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Check out Jimmy Herring's "Jam Session" guitar videos, he's all about intervallic study and has a really great warm-up tool as one video. You can get the music in the guitar world magazine's his column was in. More importantly, Jimmy does a lot of master class, which are always video-taped, so check them out! Also, use a metronome with those studies!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Walker done done

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on January 13, 2011, 09:38:57 PM
Check out Jimmy Herring's "Jam Session" guitar videos, he's all about intervallic study and has a really great warm-up tool as one video. You can get the music in the guitar world magazine's his column was in. More importantly, Jimmy does a lot of master class, which are always video-taped, so check them out! Also, use a metronome with those studies!

I appreciate the suggestion, but will not be doing this.  Jimmy Herring is the musical equivolent of blue balls, and I don't want to do to people what he does to me.  :D ;D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

fulltone1989

There's a Jimmy Herring "Jam Session" article that cover's this in GW, I can scan it for interested parties.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Poster

Yup Jimmy is a fantastic guitar instructor/player/all around nice person. You can only learn from supernatural beings like that.