Review: pigtronix Mothership guitar synth

Started by deadbearbobby, November 30, 2010, 05:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbearbobby

As promised on my very poorly written post about my new guitar... My review of the pigtronix mothership synth.

I went to the guitar store to pick up my pigtronic echolution pedal that was ordered for me back in october. I figured while i was there i would check out both the Micro snyth from electro harmonix (I'm a huge EHX fan... most my pedals are EHX or Old Ibanez effects) and the Mothership guitar syth from pigtronix. once there, and Just looking at both pedals, the Mothership seems more "easy" to operate, while the micro synth seems very techincal... I this this has to do with the knobs verse sliders... I have used EHX pedals for a lot of the weird sounds in my "Homemade" guitar synth (more on that later) and thought that the EHX synth would be the right choice. I was wrong. First the EHX synth is noisy!! very noisy. and even bypassed... like most EHX... is is tone sucker. The sliders on the exh were hard to adjust... and most of the sounds it produced would only sound good in the middle of a space jam.
The pigtronix on the other had... very little noise... the knobs are very easy to adjust and the sounds are great.... not really much in the way of the "roland gr-20" organ and string stuff... but it sounds like my guitar is running a Moog, which is what i wanted. Needless to say... i bought the pigtronix synth on the spot.  it mixes well with the other pedals in that chain which include in this order: Pigtronix mothership>Ehx Flanger hoax>pigtronix echolution> boss Giga delay. so this isnt really an in depth review... just food for thought i guess. I'll have some sound demos up soon and pictures and a review of the pigtronix echolution.
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets
not in use: Vox AC4, Flanger hoax, Giga delay, PIgtronix Mothership

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

ShockedAndPersuaded

I've had one for about 8 months now and I have to say it is a nice option to have in your arsenal of wacky, but useable, sounds.  I will say this about it.  An expression pedal is a must.  I use an RV-5 with it and it works great.  You are right dbb it does sound like your guitar running thru a moog.  You can dial in Page's (Winter's) keytar on Frankenstien for sure.  I love the sub octave myself.  Pisses my bass player off!!! 
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

deadbearbobby

Quote from: ShockedAndPersuaded on November 30, 2010, 11:03:10 PM
I've had one for about 8 months now and I have to say it is a nice option to have in your arsenal of wacky, but useable, sounds.  I will say this about it.  An expression pedal is a must.  I use an RV-5 with it and it works great.  You are right dbb it does sound like your guitar running thru a moog.  You can dial in Page's (Winter's) keytar on Frankenstien for sure.  I love the sub octave myself.  Pisses my bass player off!!!  

you are right about the expression pedal... It really opens up a whole new side of the pedal... it is fun to use the pedal without it... but i don't think that you really start to tap into all the features that make it so great, and   and as for the moog sounds... my keyboard player was ready to walk out last night at practice, really these pigtronix pedals are amazing. I have to say they complement my current pedals very nicely, they arent like a lot of boutique pedals that wont mix in well with pedals that arent of the same company. never thought i could love a brand of pedals as much as EHX... but pigtronix is kicking the EHX stuff out of my rig. The echolution (review pending haha) replaced my deluxe memory boy and my #1 echo pedal. so right now the only three EHX products in my rig are my russian big muff, my flanger hoax (another great pedal), and my micro Qtron. I have a feeling the qtron is the next to go though...
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets

deadbearbobby

Funny you mentioned that... I picked up an old Fender rhodes piano at an estate sale a few weeks ago and have been running an A/B  switch to use the pedalboard with the rhodes and my guitar. love the mothership with heavy delay from the echolution with the rhodes... very moog sounding...

Walker done done

Sounds like a sweet pedal (just watched some youtube clips) but geez is it pricey at $479!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Buffered

Hate to bump a real oldie, but I have the option to pick one of these up for $250, would be fun to have one in the arsenal. I had a Whammy and really enjoyed it. Should I?
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Poster

Quote from: Buffered on September 07, 2014, 04:31:10 PM
Hate to bump a real oldie, but I have the option to pick one of these up for $250, would be fun to have one in the arsenal. I had a Whammy and really enjoyed it. Should I?

Of course not. Your supposed to practice everyday, and come up with something more interesting to do in the time you had planned on making whacky noises. If you need to be on acid to really enjoy it, it just plain sucks man. What does the song need your taking your time up to play. Play the fucking song but do so respectfully. 

Cue space man laser gun sound! Do not amuse yourself with playing a guitar. That can happen, but the intent should be to play your best.