Main Menu

Mikes tone

Started by beebs, December 15, 2010, 02:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beebs

As I've been getting more into bass, one thing that has really amazed me is how wet Mikes sound is... By wet I mean that it sounds like his notes are just plopping out like raindrops or something... It is amazing how well he fits into the mix even though his sound is so thick. I mean, I can always here him so clearly even when Trey and Page are getting lost in the mix with each other. I can get a nice fat wet sound at home with a scooped setting, but when I play with a full band, it turns to mud and boomy garbage. I do play with my fingers though.

Interestingly, I came across this

"I think one thing that helped the sound change, it's a real subtle thing; it's just one switch on my bass, it has three positions, and I usually boost the mid-range frequency, I lowered the frequency that I boost, and that goes out to the sound system, too."

So maybe the key is boosting the low-mids and ending up cutting through just above the kick drum and just below Trey and Page. But his lows are still so well defined ???

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Ibanez SR300 Bass -> SWR Workingman's 15 Combo
Ibanez AS80 -> GCB -> TS-9 -> CS-3 -> RP3 -> Superchamp XD

Walker done done

Quote from: beebs on December 15, 2010, 02:42:11 AM
As I've been getting more into bass, one thing that has really amazed me is how wet Mikes sound is... By wet I mean that it sounds like his notes are just plopping out like raindrops or something... It is amazing how well he fits into the mix even though his sound is so thick. I mean, I can always here him so clearly even when Trey and Page are getting lost in the mix with each other. I can get a nice fat wet sound at home with a scooped setting, but when I play with a full band, it turns to mud and boomy garbage. I do play with my fingers though.

Interestingly, I came across this

"I think one thing that helped the sound change, it's a real subtle thing; it's just one switch on my bass, it has three positions, and I usually boost the mid-range frequency, I lowered the frequency that I boost, and that goes out to the sound system, too."

So maybe the key is boosting the low-mids and ending up cutting through just above the kick drum and just below Trey and Page. But his lows are still so well defined ???

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Unfortunately I don't, but I love that you're asking because I am also interested to see if anyone can shed any light.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

It has alot to do with the combo of his bass's electronics, and his eden world tour. The high end edens do this very distinctive compression. Iam sure the cap on his switch helps define is slice of the mix, but the wet squish is the eden world tour.

beebs

I've just come a whole lot closer with some new ground wounds and a heavy composite pick (same ones I use for guitar actually)... They really bring out the punch, but aren't overly bright like round wounds.

I haven't really been trying to recreate Mike's tone purposely (I still see myself playing fingerstyle for everything), but I think I may have ended up in that realm by chance. I guess active pickups and an SWR (very simliar to Eden and what Mike used to use) don't hurt either. I do like more of a futuristic but warm sound (if that even makes sense), and am not a fan of any dirt or mid growl (vintage).

However, I will be needing more power soon, and am kind of at the mercy of what I can find used for cheap (same way I got the SWR).

Poster

My bass player is selling a 2 thousand watt power amp if your interested, painfully, brutally loud, and its completely reliable. Also for more boom, checkout "seismic audio" thats my friends company here in Memphis, they do cheap subs that sound very decent. You could prolly buy a couple 18's for next to nothing. At the least itll hit them bitches in the chest!

beebs

Found a really good gem out there

http://www.phisharchive.com/articles/1993/mike1.html

He talk all about his eqing strategies and his use of the ADA preamp (which seems pretty cool). Does anyone know when he switched to an SWR preamp?