WTB: Analogman Comprossor

Started by CBMarley, March 15, 2011, 10:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CBMarley

Anyone got one they may be looking to get rid of.  Would love to get my hands on one of these.

Thanks for looking.

Poster

THEY SUCK. I can mail you a much cooler looking paper weight.

CBMarley

ok...is there something you would recommend?  A lot of people seem to love this compressor, but i'll admit i'm new to them.  What are some pro's/con's of this and other compressors.

Thanks

Walker done done

If you're talking about the Bi-Comprosser, I agree w/ Poster, I am not a fan.

The original Ross's are great but pricey and hard to find (if anyone has one they want to sell, get in touch!)

I have an Analogman Orange Squeeze and like that, but currently it's not in my chain.  I am using a Keeley 4-knob Comp and like it.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

IamWILSON

I've had the Keeley Compressor (2knob) since '02 and 80% of the time I love, 20% I dislike and decide not to use it.  But as of lately its more like 99% love.  I even A/B'd it with my buddy's newer 4knob Keeley Comp and decided I liked the sound of mine better.  And beyond that, in all my dealing with Robert Keeley, he has always been friendly and helpful!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Poster

the only comp ill use is hand made by james west at bonepicker customs. simply google him. great guy, best sounding ross comp when a/b'd with a keeley 4 knob, ross 2 knob, barge concepts rc1,2,3, cmatmods, analogman, etc.

Happyorange27

Quote from: posternutbag on March 15, 2011, 05:58:53 PM
the only comp ill use is hand made by james west at bonepicker customs. simply google him. great guy, best sounding ross comp when a/b'd with a keeley 4 knob, ross 2 knob, barge concepts rc1,2,3, cmatmods, analogman, etc.
Can I get a Hell Yeah to that?! :)
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Quote from: IamWILSON on March 15, 2011, 05:39:43 PM
I've had the Keeley Compressor (2knob) since '02 and 80% of the time I love, 20% I dislike and decide not to use it.  But as of lately its more like 99% love.  I even A/B'd it with my buddy's newer 4knob Keeley Comp and decided I liked the sound of mine better.  And beyond that, in all my dealing with Robert Keeley, he has always been friendly and helpful!

Aren't they the same pedal, with the 4-knob just having 2 of the settings on the outside (instead of inside)?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: posternutbag on March 15, 2011, 12:59:20 PM
THEY SUCK. I can mail you a much cooler looking paper weight.

I beg to differ, man.  I bought one of the large-size, three-knob Comprossors and it smokes the pristine Ross I just sold on eBay, both in overall sound and low noise level.

cactuskeeb

The only comp you'll ever use is the one that none of us has but, according to you, we should get; and likewise with every other piece of gear you recommend.   :P

Happyorange27

Quote from: cactuskeeb on March 16, 2011, 01:49:20 PM

The only comp you'll ever use is the one that none of us has but, according to you, we should get; and likewise with every other piece of gear you recommend.   :P

That does capture Poster in a nutshell so I had to snicker.  I do however have one of these Bonepicker compressors on order so that I can see what the stink is all about. 
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

Meh, I like the orange one better, walker said they were great, so I tried one once, for an entire show with a cover band using a buddies orange comp, a usa blacktop tele, and a buddha amp, and it sounded pretty epic. But it wasnt a ross clone. I didnt think we were talking about other comps. Cactus I have no doubt that new comp has less noise and more mids/bass, but there are a bunch of comps like that out there, that supposedly improve on the original circuit, alls Iam saying, is the Bone does exactly that, the best to my ears. So in a nutshell, if he wanted to buy " a comp, something versatile" id say go orange squeeze or something like that (versitile in the heavy squeeze, low squeeze realms in my first hand experience), but if he wants to do the ross thing, my opinion is that of all the souped up ross circuits around, the Bone gives me a Bone.  

I never have said that everybody should use exactly what I have. I am constantly improving on my gear. Buuut yeah. Basically, if I say something "FUCKING SUCKS" that could mean it sucks because its too expensive, ugly to look at, one dimensional, doesnt sound as good as others ive heard, etc.  :P

sour d

i think the keeley is the most quiet, analogman's sound more like a ross, but the ross sounds the best to me. i sold my first ross when i started using the bicomprosser because it sounded close but wasn't 30 years old. then I went and bought another ross. Can't seem to let go of the bicomp though and that might be because of the orange squeezer. I've got a GGG orange squeezer clone that sounds a lot like the analogman one. Both orange squeezers have jrc4558d opamps and all the ross clones use the ca3080e chip.

Mr. Quiet:

analogman comprosser #29:

analogman bicomprosser:

Ross:
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Poster

Not enough switches, silicone, or spray paint. Nail polish the rubber feet, more low mids.

IamWILSON

Quote from: Walker done done on March 16, 2011, 01:09:57 PM
Quote from: IamWILSON on March 15, 2011, 05:39:43 PM

Aren't they the same pedal, with the 4-knob just having 2 of the settings on the outside (instead of inside)?

My Keeley Comp is s/n 536.  Also from '02, so it's funny to me to see that Analog Man who always claims that he was the first to do these only made 29 of them while Keeley had already made over 500.  That's not really my point of this though. 

I emailed Robert about a year ago and he replied that the board in mine was an older one, which does not have an internal clipping control.  I think the same goes for attack control, though I may be wrong about that.  I was asking him what to adjust inside the pedal after opening it up and it not really looking like there were controls inside for these adjustments.  So he told me I can send him the pedal and pay $45 to have him put in a new board.  So this sparked me to borrow a good friend's 4 knob compressor, before I decided to give up my old school and more authentic Ross clone.  Long story short, after A/B'ing with the 4-knob version, I decided mine sounded much better.  Somewhere around that same time was when I finally got my hands on a couple original ts-9s, and upon comparison to the 2 modded Keeley ts-9s I was using made a drastic improvement in everything I was having problems controlling (mostly volume issues, and sometimes extra clipping caused by the compressor).  Since then, my old Keeley Compressor is always on, with the exception of the end of one song that my band plays, when I really need the dynamic to come way down and somewhat disappear underneath the keys.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).