Micing technique like Trey

Started by Happyorange27, December 29, 2011, 08:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

If your read the section about Trey's mics on his amp on this website (treys rig details) you will see that Paul talks about offsetting the mics about 4 inches and panning them hard left and right in the mix. This makes a wide audition. I just tried it. It's great actually. Try it yourself. I also listened through headphones as I played. Here is my setup.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

I think I just jizzed myself upon seeing that beautiful AO guitar!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

Oh yeah. Here is another frontal nude shot!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, I have seen he uses two mics, it is an interesting idea and makes me wonder if he uses any effects after the mic as I find that just hard panning the same thing doesn't always make a wide stereo image, but maybe the slight time and tonal difference related to the mics positioning does the trick...

I have been sending my dry signal, post amp, to a stereo spread chorus (no audible modulation), then to my delay/reverb for a w/d/w setup. But that would interesting to try his style if I still had a second mic.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

Do it per Paul's method.  I've been doing it ever since.  Sounds really nice.  Check out some of my latest soundclouds or I can email you some mp3 files.

IamWILSON

Happy'a recordings do sound really good!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Happyorange27 on February 01, 2012, 11:15:21 AM
Do it per Paul's method.  I've been doing it ever since.  Sounds really nice.  Check out some of my latest soundclouds or I can email you some mp3 files.

Yea - do you have a soundcloud link?
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

Heady Jam Fan

Sweet - thanks! I am too lazy to get my headphones know, but I will check it out in a bit!

I need to start recording again, especially if I can find enough time to scrounge up a band, all my stuff except the Red Fang v. Blue Dog clip is the better part of a decade old.

PS - Got a chance to listen - sounds great! The most recent track sounds like Sco meets jam with some of the note choices.

I have been paying a fair amount of attention to the stereo image and panning on various studio albums over the past week, especially Junta, which has a pretty extreme thing going on in some tracks IMO. It sounds often almost like double tracking, but likely a duplicate of the original track delayed a bit and the two panned hard opposite. This is what I was thinking about when I was talking about some sort of processing after the two mics on the amp - that maybe there were to mics, but some sort of short delay between the two (might even be around 50ms or more)? I think David Bowie is the best example - I use to do this in recordings, but with a shorter delay.

Listening to some later albums I don't really hear this delay, but still a wider sound than I would expect from just a single dry track panned center. Do you know when he started using two mics? I wonder if earlier he just split the one signal, panned hard and delayed one, then later used two mics distanced differently and panned them.?.

Happyorange27

Heady Jam Fan

Nice - great tone!

There were some interesting things going on with the panning I think, though it could be my crappy headphones. It sounded like the acoustic and lead were coming through a bit stronger on the right side, on the left I heard some really light drums and what sounded like kids playing? Was this using the two mic setup and the further one was panned left?

Happyorange27

Thanks. The accompaniment was centered. The looping guitar which was actually my AO as well and the lead were comiming out of the same amp. One mic was further away, not sure which. Can't avoid the kids:)

Heady Jam Fan

Lol - I was guessing the further mic picked up the background and was panned left, which is why I heard that on the left and not right ;)

the_great_lemon

Hey happy, was that sample with or without the new comp?
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Happyorange27