My phish cover band playing Tweezer!

Started by IamWILSON, January 07, 2012, 03:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamWILSON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFk8u8ZE78E&feature=related

It's cut a little bit during the solo/jam due to some camera user error, so here's the next part...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0iCQtCP24&feature=related

And unfortunately he stopped recording as we got into a little type II to settle it back down into the main riff.

Enjoy!  As always, your thoughts, critiques, criticisms, and comments are always welcome.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

I really like your chord-shape choices during the jam section, could you elaborate on them a bit? What inversions/fingerings did you use?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

IamWILSON

They are all just various inversions of Am7 on the top 4 strings.  Mostly I'm playing Am9 like this:

-7-        -7-
-5-  or   -8-
-5-        -9-
-5-        (10)* this note isn't so necessary, notice its just a C Maj7 chord

w/ the min3rd on top:

-8--- or -10- (if you want the 11th on top for the suspended sound - I used that as I moved the chord up the neck
-8-   through the inversions)
-9-
-7-

w/ the 5th on top (this is another of those funky inversions of the min9 chord that I notice Trey using fairly often:

-12-
-12-
-12-   As is one of the other shapes above, it is basically C Maj7, but acts as Amin9
-10-         

w/ the above one, you can also add the 13th to it:

-14-
-12-
-12-  This voicing acts as Amin 9/13
-10-

Oh yeah, and here's one you could hear in it that Trey uses a bunch (see 11/17/97):

-7-                                                ---------
-5-                                                --8--7--
-5- for a couple octaves followed by   --5--5-- 
-5-                                                --5--5--
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Happyorange27

Wilson, nice job man!  You be rocking.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

Thanks for the nice comments guys!  This was only our 3rd show, as we are all so busy with other bands that we never get to rehearse more than 3 times a month, usually only a couple hours at a time, but we've been able to learn about 25 to 30 songs so far. 

As far as the chords I tabbed out above, I hope that is useful for some of you.  I have about 30 guitar students, and they are all fun to teach, but its nice to get to share some of the this stuff that is useful for guitarists who are into jam music and not just wanting to rip solos the whole time!

sour d

I really like the name of the band. You guys sound great. How did you get Al Schnier to play bass for you?
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe