Can someone explain what is happening during this riff?

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, January 23, 2012, 12:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouEnjoyMyReba

Trey uses this all the time.  This is just the example that came to mind.  If you could tab this or an example of something similar, or even just explained what he's doing I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dl__sW7WFw#t=5m06s
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

JamVol

So i don't know how to tab but i can explain.  For the brother jam your playing in e flat on the 15Th fret on the g string  you slide back a fret then back up then play the root above on the b string on the 16Th fret.  then slide again on the gstring then after sliding again play the next note up the scale and repeat. then you can slide it back to the d flat chord on the change and repeat.  Just play around with it using different patterns after the slide. Also during the one part Red goes up during the change to the d flat on that you sharp the fifth in the e flat mixo which is b then to c sharp and then run back down the e flat mixo scale.  Sorry the explanation is a little rough but i hope it helps..... ;D
Guitars:  Ibanez ADJ91,  Ibanez AWD82, Martin D41  
Effects: GBC95--Ibanez Tubescreamer--Effects Pedal Boutique SRB808 plus Duel Drive--CmatMods Ross Clone--Nova Repeater--Boss TU-2--Digitech Jamman Delay                           
Amp: Fender DDRI
Effects not in use: Whammy 4 and various other crap

Happyorange27

Hey YEM nice use of a link that gets you right to the point. I didn't know you could link like that. More folks should use that method.
Now I want to learn this lick. It's sick. A sick lick.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

Trey also does another similar lick to this, but not so much at quick tempos, and much easier to execute and sounds cool.  He descends down a 2nd inversion triad to the 5th scale tone and does that same little slide down to the b5 and back up to the 5th really quickly.  I'll give an example that would work for playing in D mixolydian.  Think about the jam from Theme From the Bottom, that's where I transcribed this from anyway; from 12/7/97 show, i think.  

----2----------
------3--------
--------2-1-2-
---------------
---------------
---------------

or can be done on the next string set easily too

------------------
---7-------------
-----7-----------
-------7-6-7----
-----------------
-----------------

With both of these, you need to slide that last arpeggiated note down and up a halfstep.

I'm gonna spend some time this week working on those chops from brother because that is a good one!

***edit "town" to "tone"
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

Nice Wilson. I suppose Stash is a great example if this slide technique to. Very Trey.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 23, 2012, 08:46:38 PM
Nice Wilson. I suppose Stash is a great example if this slide technique to. Very Trey.
Duh, yeah!  I don't know why I didn't think about it.  Guess I was just thinking about similar riffs in his bag of tricks during a guitar solo.  And yeah, it totally works in a major or minor mode.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

YouEnjoyMyReba

LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

Happyorange27

Good job Reba, sounds like you decoded some of that.  Hey what is that digital sound in your tone or recording equipment?

YouEnjoyMyReba

Well, Im actually in London until the summer and I couldnt bring any of my equipment with me, including my guitar.  Im playing from a cheap guitar I bought in store to play while Im here and then I have a little Vox gadget that I plug into the input jack which you then plug headphones into to give you a lead tone.  To record that video, I just sat my phone between my headphones and my computer and recorded it from my phone.  So the digital sound could be any number of things, but Im not using any pedals, just the little vox gadget (not sure what its called)

Happyorange27

I bet it's the gadget.  Coming from a digital rig i can now identify that sound easily.  My dark past. 8)  Hey you gotta do what you can in those situations.