Recording Technique Examples

Started by Heady Jam Fan, April 20, 2012, 08:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

I was just messing around after work (note: excuse some of the sloppiness ;) ) and decided to turn on my mic!

I recently switched my rig back from W/D/W to mono in case I find time to play out or jam this month and I don't want to bring my PA, as well as the fact that I am temped to sell my wet gear. Anyway - this relates because I used to record the same way my W/D/W is set up; on three tracks, the two wet ones with a stereo spread chorus>delay>reverb. The last recording I did sounded good - very full and wide, but to some degree I wanted a bit more space - I mean, TS's and a Ross sounds pretty fat to start! On the other hand, most modern recording uses some technique to make the guitar sound wider.

The track compares 3 techniques of adding width to a track after recording:
1) Doubling the track, hard panning and detuning one side 5 cents
2) Stereo Spread Chorus
3) Double the track, hard panning and putting a 10ms delay on one side

Song clips include: Wind Cries Mary, Waste, Stash, David Bowie and Harry Hood

I think I like the Detuned one most, sounds the most natural: chorus takes away some clarity even though it doesn't really even sound modulated, and the 10ms delay always sounds a little weird to me cuz I notice the delay especially on the attack.

Just figured I would share! I also liked Happy's example of how Trey (and Languedoc) actually do Phish recordings with a 2nd mic a bit further away, but I don't have a 2nd mic currently.

PS - using the Artinger, the dirtier TS on Wind Cries and Stash, the cleaner on the other tunes, I had my Retro-Sonic Ross Comp set really high (you can probably hear). I was using coil drop in the middle position (1 single coil from each humbucker in parallel) for Wind Cries, and I was using the neck humbucker for the rest of the tunes. Aside from that, I had my RV7 reverb set to Hall on all the tracks, my Flashback set to the Matt Beck Echo for Stash, and a little software compression (multiband) to catch any frequency peaks. All through my '65 Bassman with an Eminence Red Fang on an MXL2010 mic. (Can't forget my purple lava coily either).

http://snd.sc/I91Jcu
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9