Time to Get Real???

Started by dabomb, December 14, 2012, 12:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I sell my entire electric rig and go acoustic since I'm old and will never be in a rock band?

Yes, of course, get real.
0 (0%)
No, you will miss your toys.
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

dabomb

I'm 38, married with a kid. I'm realistically not going to have the time to find a band, rehearse, and play-out. Espescially considering I won't play out if we suck.

I could see myself playing out either solo or with one other person, but this would be an acoustic thing. Maybe it's time to sell off the entire electric rig and get a nice acoustic-electric and acoustic amplifier. It would be sad to sell all my fun electric toys...but, really, wtf am I doing with all this stuff? Why am I looking to upgrade my compressor so I can play in my bedroom?

fulltone1989

Quote from: dabomb on December 14, 2012, 12:53:41 PM
I'm 38, married with a kid. I'm realistically not going to have the time to find a band, rehearse, and play-out. Espescially considering I won't play out if we suck.

I could see myself playing out either solo or with one other person, but this would be an acoustic thing. Maybe it's time to sell off the entire electric rig and get a nice acoustic-electric and acoustic amplifier. It would be sad to sell all my fun electric toys...but, really, wtf am I doing with all this stuff? Why am I looking to upgrade my compressor so I can play in my bedroom?

I'd never sell my electric gear - if you have time why not just post an ad on musicians CL or bandmix to find players in your area? If not, pass it on down to your kids so they can enjoy music as you do!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Stecks

Quote from: dabomb on December 14, 2012, 12:53:41 PM

Well... that's one way to look at it....

But would you regret it one day?  My guess is, yes.  Situations change.  Don't base such a decision based on the present reality - it won't always be that way.  (I broke up with my girlfriend who I planned on marrying because I was diagnosed with cancer and had to go through multiple surgeries, radiation.  I still kick myself every single day based on my decision, which I made because I didn't see the future being any different than the hellish present I was experiencing.  Big mistake.)  Maybe you end up having more free time one day.  Also, maybe your kid will use it one day.

Hang on to it. 
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Happyorange27

I rarely look back at some gear I sold and think "yeah I'm glad I don't have that readily available to jam on".  You might regret it.  But I do know what you mean about being in your life as is.  But guess what; when your kids grow up and go to college, you are going to have so much time.  You can even gig much more then too.  It happened to my uncle and I'm planning on doing the same when my kids grow up.  He gigs every weekend now.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex