Trey's rig in details

Started by strangedesign, February 08, 2007, 10:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down_With_Sco

Who cares about the chip, we are talking about pitch settings.. which I do have. So don't be an asshole... Christ.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Happyorange27

Please explain this half octave you speak of. Is that 6 semitones?  If so, are sure you are describing this properly. My WH2 doesn't have a half octave. It does have a 2nd down however (2 semitones=1 full step). Thanks.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

Answered your own question. The harmony side - use the force. I can and will be harsh on anybody with a whammy. It is a catalyst that pushes every guitarist into playing like a fool. If your running it inline, your not using it properly, if your wet dry ratio is off, your pissing into your own ears, if you use it too much, in your 3/4/5 piece band, you've likely already lost time, hit a loud stupid brittle note on accident, lost tracking, or washed the mix out with your synthesc foolishness. If you want to synth, there are many new, improved means to do so. If you want a +1 octave there are far better, and dare I say more jimi... Keeping those thoughts in mind, if you mark, and remember each step, work with it in a loop with your rig (at show volume, and with drummer practice volume) tirelessly, you may have something cool to live sample, during the bend, for a heatbeat, or perhaps run through 4 - 8 bars of some quick sub octave half wah cocked filtering etc... But the point is, why after spending all time are you not writing music? Maybe coming up with some little riffs to fill that gap? Are you trying to recreate what the producers of the story of the ghost mixed into those songs? Do you want to be both Tom Morello and Trey at the same time, like some weird vegas performer with waxed facial hair? What do you want to sound like? You should care what other people think. Its those people who will support your music, your playing, your voice. Fucking start bitching because I reminded that kid that he doesnt even have the same fucking pedal, just oh you know 17 years apart in design... Its not funny. Some of you more cunty rich kids will keep buying shit and not playing until your dead. More than happy to try to help. Being conscious of your tone is more than just having it sound good when everything is perfect. amp 3 1/2, pedals 4 6 2, in this order, this guitar, while i stand on this spot. Nope that doesnt work. In reality everytime you play in a different space you need to be able to think on the fly, understanding what everything does, in nearly every configuration. SOUND LIKE IT WOULD TAKE ALOT OF TIME AND EFFORT? Yup, your spot on. SOUND LIKE SOMETHING YOU WOULDNT FIND INTERESTING? Go play the drums.

Poster

Doesnt anybody want to know how you can adjust your amp for a smaller room? Its not by turning down the motherfucking volume knob? How to choose a cabinet for a room. Perhaps combining, swapping amps for a lineup?

Buffered

Quote from: Happyorange27 on July 26, 2014, 09:59:54 AM
Please explain this half octave you speak of. Is that 6 semitones?  If so, are sure you are describing this properly. My WH2 doesn't have a half octave. It does have a 2nd down however (2 semitones=1 full step). Thanks.

The 2nd down is the "whale call." I think I made a youtube of the Funk Siren too, which I use the +1 octave setting. Down_with_Sco are you referring to something like the funk section of Free? When I had a WH-2 (later the V) I used that with a Proton and got some great bubble bass. Fun sound. Try a molten voltage switch, adds WH-2 footswitchable settings to the DT and V.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Buffered

Quote from: Poster on July 25, 2014, 11:12:13 PM
Confirmed from BB a while ago, reconfirmed at the Portland show earlier in the year with BB at sound check. Cheers!

They played in Portland this year?
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Down_With_Sco

Here, I quoted myself so people can see what I really said. Kay?

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on July 07, 2014, 09:50:01 PM
He's been using the whammy setting, a 2nd down bend (whale call) alot.... however I will say it's done much better than last summer tour. But do check out the Chalkdust from night 1 SPAC.

Also what is Poster talking about? I'm not being a cunt.... for some reason he can't properly read a post on a message board.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Poster

edit it again - i didnt call you a cunt, i said cunty people - your pretty sensitive sally?

Poster

Quote from: Buffered on July 26, 2014, 12:51:14 PM
Quote from: Poster on July 25, 2014, 11:12:13 PM
Confirmed from BB a while ago, reconfirmed at the Portland show earlier in the year with BB at sound check. Cheers!

They played in Portland this year?

Maybe it was late last year, let my check my pamprin receipts. I also go to lots of shows, play lots, so things tend to blur. All i know for sure is Tycho is thursday. :D I dont really listen to trey solo anymore, I didnt stay for the whole show. It was the last Crystal show. Hell it could have even been last summer! Shit Im getting fucking old.

So Im super stoked that Sco is just nailing the tones on that Whammy. Great job gang! Keep it up. The videos are cool! - Not even trying to be a smartass, but Ill still read like a smartass. Smartass

Poster

Quote from: Poster on July 26, 2014, 12:29:21 PM
Answered your own question. The harmony side - use the force. I can and will be harsh on anybody with a whammy. It is a catalyst that pushes every guitarist into playing like a fool. If your running it inline, your not using it properly, if your wet dry ratio is off, your pissing into your own ears, if you use it too much, in your 3/4/5 piece band, you've likely already lost time, hit a loud stupid brittle note on accident, lost tracking, or washed the mix out with your synthesc foolishness. If you want to synth, there are many new, improved means to do so. If you want a +1 octave there are far better, and dare I say more jimi... Keeping those thoughts in mind, if you mark, and remember each step, work with it in a loop with your rig (at show volume, and with drummer practice volume) tirelessly, you may have something cool to live sample, during the bend, for a heatbeat, or perhaps run through 4 - 8 bars of some quick sub octave half wah cocked filtering etc... But the point is, why after spending all time are you not writing music? Maybe coming up with some little riffs to fill that gap? Are you trying to recreate what the producers of the story of the ghost mixed into those songs? Do you want to be both Tom Morello and Trey at the same time, like some weird vegas performer with waxed facial hair? What do you want to sound like? You should care what other people think. Its those people who will support your music, your playing, your voice. Fucking start bitching because I reminded that kid that he doesnt even have the same fucking pedal, just oh you know 17 years apart in design... Its not funny. Some of you more cunty rich kids will keep buying shit and not playing until your dead. More than happy to try to help. Being conscious of your tone is more than just having it sound good when everything is perfect. amp 3 1/2, pedals 4 6 2, in this order, this guitar, while i stand on this spot. Nope that doesnt work. In reality everytime you play in a different space you need to be able to think on the fly, understanding what everything does, in nearly every configuration. SOUND LIKE IT WOULD TAKE ALOT OF TIME AND EFFORT? Yup, your spot on. SOUND LIKE SOMETHING YOU WOULDNT FIND INTERESTING? Go play the drums.

Reread, and still like it. Dont see how SCO is all butt hurt? Do you have a languedoc? Are you a cunt? I mentioned cunty rich kids right after mentioning your pedal, apologies. But I do not think SCO is a cunt for the record. Somebody write that down

Poster

Its like when red used a red tone tubby, because Glen gave him a cab loaded with the most expensive Kimock designed tone tubbies he could get out of respect. AND EVERYBODY THAT COULD WENT OUT AND BOUGHT THEM. Even though he only used that cab like 5 times ever, its sits in the corner of the NY space... Lets all just band together and write a fucking musical about how ridiculous this conversation really is!

^ myself included. Same with CAE stuff. Same with the amp mods. Etc etc etc, so on and so forth.

Down_With_Sco

I am totally nailing those whammy tones. Not that difficult to do.

Also way to be a douche.... like damn. That was unnecessary.

Poster

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on July 26, 2014, 02:15:57 PM
I am totally nailing those whammy tones. Not that difficult to do.

Also way to be a douche.... like damn. That was unnecessary.

Did I not apologize enough for you? Im sorry SCO. You can take it or leave it, but my intent was for the betterment of the greater whole. And you are not nailing the 1 down. But to each his own. Your tone journey is going to be a rough one if you cant admit your wrong as a burnt turd on the porch. How many distortion pedals have you tried? 20? 100? Have much gear have you worked with? Do you tour? Have you had to contend with a backline? I mean god damnit, if you cant see Im trying to help people who want to get to another level, than just go suck your thumb. Still not mad at you, but read between the fucking lines. It would be great if one of the kids with some funnies would chime in. But who cares. Looks like you have amassed quite a bit of gear there SCO. Cool man, I hope that all is working for your tone. But you completely overlook the commentary and just focus on you being super sensitive butt hurt about me saying you dont have the right WH. Its ok. But kinda douchey?

Buffered

You do realize that you're arguing over chip types whose subtle differences would be tough to hear at band levels live and impossible for an audience to tell the difference..

Poster

No actually the original wh and wh2 distort in a unique way, different from each other and very noticeable. I continued to talk about the whammy as an effect in general