Trey's rig in details

Started by strangedesign, February 08, 2007, 10:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkendrick

Speaking of which,  is the photo on this site of his Ts9 settings accurate? That seems like a lot of OD to me.  I guess I could try it and see, even though I don't have the exact same pedals.

Eta:

This one
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Down_With_Sco

Don't go by that picture, it's from 2004. I screen capped one from his most recent rig rundown from Jones beach 2012. He goes light TS9 > cranked TS9.... but he has is it so it looks like it's cranked > light... but if you follow the cables you can see it really is light > cranked.

The signal chain is wah (RMC3 stealth) > silvermodded Ts9 light_OD > silvermodded Ts9 cranked_OD > Ross > midi switcher/digcrap

I'm a little confused what the chain might be now, since the Ross is on the amp stack... I'm also not sure whether he is still using the Taiwan made Ross or if he did go back to the USA one that all the phans bought him in 2009.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Jkendrick

Cranked level  on both?

For the record,  I'm not going to copy the settings.  I've found the sweet spot I'm after. I'm just curious as both of those pictures have settings that seem extreme to me. Is it something about playing through a PA or some other reason?
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

express50express

The Ross after the stacked TS9's keep the level all squished down. I find this doesn't work well for playing at low levels.

Down_With_Sco

It's not cranked on both, see my post.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

express50express

I'm just stating, the one that is cranked, the ROSS after both, keeps things pretty even. If volume levels are set with the TS9 with the drive set low, when the cranked is engaged, I bet the volume wouldn't jump much. I don't know for sure, as I don't have a ROSS and stacked TS9's.

His tone on the current tour is def the most drastic from what I'm used to hearing with my ears. Less mid range(or smoother), and the highs have some serious bite. His tone is also much more compressed, but I'm guessing the Shiva might have more to do with that overall.

Jkendrick

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on July 07, 2014, 07:32:12 PM
The drive isn't cranked on both but it looks like the level is.

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: Jkendrick on July 07, 2014, 07:51:19 PM
Quote from: Down_With_Sco on July 07, 2014, 07:32:12 PM
The drive isn't cranked on both but it looks like the level is.

Right... yea it is there. I think I've seen those knobs lower more recently in 2013 on webcasts. He probably does adjust those for the PA though

Jkendrick

I'm listening to some of the last night of SPAC now. I like the cleans and light OD,  but the heavier OD is too gritty for me.

And at the risk of being labled a jaded vet, is Trey just awful on this show or what? Not tone - wise,  but his playing.

express50express

Quote from: Jkendrick on July 07, 2014, 08:53:08 PM
I'm listening to some of the last night of SPAC now. I like the cleans and light OD,  but the heavier OD is too gritty for me.

And at the risk of being labled a jaded vet, is Trey just awful on this show or what? Not tone - wise,  but his playing.

He seems to be trying out a lot of different things.

Down_With_Sco

He's been using the whammy setting a 2nd down bend (whale call) alot.... however I will say it's done much better than last summer tour. But do check out the Chalkdust from night 1 SPAC.

Jkendrick

He doesn't sound rehearsed.  He's missing a lot of notes and just sounds off. I know Trey is all about listening and letting "music play the band" but sometimes it just sounds like he's lost and he needs better chops to fall back on. A lot of what I listened to from the last show (admittedly the older tunes they played that night) Trey sounded directionless and was just plain flubbing a lot of notes. I suck and I could've played the Fluffhead jam better than he did. :p

Poster

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on July 07, 2014, 09:50:01 PM
He's been using the whammy setting a 2nd down bend (whale call) alot.... however I will say it's done much better than last summer tour. But do check out the Chalkdust from night 1 SPAC.

Wrong. Its the half octave bend and 1 octave down. You should buy one and see for yourself. Neat little pedals. People almost always over use this effect. If you can get one, and use it one time during a show, I will approve.

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: Poster on July 25, 2014, 09:03:58 PM
Quote from: Down_With_Sco on July 07, 2014, 09:50:01 PM

Wrong. Its the half octave bend and 1 octave down. You should buy one and see for yourself. Neat little pedals. People almost always over use this effect. If you can get one, and use it one time during a show, I will approve.

I'm not wrong. I know the settings. I know he uses the octave up and down as well. I have a Whammy DT.

Poster

Yeah sorry your whammy DT doesnt even have the same chip in it. Its not the same thing AT ALL. The whammy bar setting is half octave down. If you pre program a wh2 it can hotswap between two settings with one button tap. It has to be reprogrammed every show, so he probably switches from -1 and +1 to 1/2 1 and -1. Confirmed from BB a while ago, reconfirmed at the Portland show earlier in the year with BB at sound check. Cheers!