Trey's rig in details

Started by strangedesign, February 08, 2007, 10:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangedesign

I have put together a detailed layout of Trey's rig at:
www.strangedesign.org/rigs

It contains pics, links to purchase, descriptions and more
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

strangedesign

I have recently been working with Brian Brown (Trey's guitar tech) and Glenn from Hard Truckers to get the inside on Trey's rig. Most everything has been updated so check out how Trey achieves his awesome tone at the Trey's Rig Section of my site. www.strangedesign.org/rigs

www.strangedesign.org

ColForbin

It doesn't say anything in the rig section about his compressor that he currently uses, is he using the bicomprosser from analog man?
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Walker done done

Quote from: \"ColForbin\"It doesn't say anything in the rig section about his compressor that he currently uses, is he using the bicomprosser from analog man?

Not sure...but I'm on the waiting list for the BiCompROSSer myself....and have been for about a year now.  I'm hoping for delivery by this summer, but I'm not crossing my fingers.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

strangedesign

He is not using the ross compressor anymore. He did by one from analogman but he isn't using it either. I also had analogman build me one about a year ago. I love it!

www.strangedesign.org

ColForbin

No Compressor eh?  Mystery solved.  Interesting though.
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

webephishin

i've always wondered how trey goes about using both of his ts9's...what settings does he set on both?  Does he often have both of them engaged when he's rippin solos?  Right now I have an analogman silver modded ts9 and I love the sound....I also have a boss DS-1 that I run directly before it, and i'll have both of them engaged when ripping somethin down...i never use the DS-1 besides as a booster with my ts9....i feel like the single ts9 isn't beefy enough for soloing i guess??
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Heady Jam Fan

Money shot. Most people seem to prefer the cleaner TS before the dirtier one (analogous to how you use your DS to boost the TS).

I run 2 Silvers and I enjoy it, some people are preferential to the original TS's from the 80s though.

Aside from those two for a ripping solo, he usually changes amp channels - the Fender Deluxe has a midrange boost on the 2nd channel. I use a Fromel Shape for this.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

webephishin

nice, thanks for that pic...i've never seen that one before....good stuff!

so then, are both of your silvers engaged when you rip solos? obviously you could use different combinations in different situations...Im just curious to how trey and others do it?  I've never tried it but I would imagine 2 ts9s engaged at the same time would create a nice sound.
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Heady Jam Fan

No prob - I think Brad Sarno posted those on TGP (he does great work on equipment, some of which Trey uses), great thread on Trey's tone too btw.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

ColForbin

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 08, 2012, 09:10:31 PM

Money shot. Most people seem to prefer the cleaner TS before the dirtier one (analogous to how you use your DS to boost the TS).

I run 2 Silvers and I enjoy it, some people are preferential to the original TS's from the 80s though.

Aside from those two for a ripping solo, he usually changes amp channels - the Fender Deluxe has a midrange boost on the 2nd channel. I use a Fromel Shape for this.

If you follow the chords in those pics, it looks like he's runnig the dirtier one first, and then the cleaner one.  Guitar-->wah-->dirtier TS9-->cleaner TS9.......Or am I crazy?

I know that's what he definitely used to do, regarding the dr, but with his new guitar, I've seen him work the volume knob for solos.  Particularly the videos they uploaded to vimeo, you can see him doing that a lot.  I don't recall whether he was using both amps or the just the boogie.

Just some observations....either one will "get you there" in terms of cutting thru the mix for solos.  Cheers.

Current rig: 

raisingfreen

Looking at the power supply wires coming from both screamers and the wah, does anyone notice anything interesting about where they end up? It looks as if both screamers and the wah share the same wall wart and are somehow wired together in the small little bunched up cables above the high gain screamer. I spose thats possible as if the adapter is 24 volt or even adjustable between 24/36 etc... Looks as if the power wires are splices together with black shielding wrapped over them.

Just look close and you will see that they all don't go out to different plugs. They are going to the same location. The Ross is clearly being powered solo however.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

fulltone1989

Maybe it's a 24v that is split to keep things tidy? The Ross would be pretty noisy i'd imagine if it was daisy chained to the TS's.

I wish I could A/B a Pedal Powered double TS and Ross combo vs a wall wart setup and compare the noise levels.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Green you get major points for that observation!  Nice. Actually I bet the transformer is a 9 volt. It provides a parallel bus of 9 volts to all those pedals. I've never seen a wah with more than 9 volts and 9 volts makes sense for Trey's settings on the screamers. But that is awesome!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

raisingfreen

Quote from: Happyorange27 on August 15, 2012, 08:14:54 PM
9 volts and 9 volts makes sense for Trey's settings on the screamers.

I would of thought using the extreme settings as Trey does that maybe a higher voltage would be better. Toning down the distortion a bit allowing for the higher settings. In any case I'm betting there is something to this or nothing at all. Why would he not just a use a Pedal power for all that stuff then.( ie isolated power...)

What would happen if you had a large high voltage transformer sliced to power 3 pedals? You mentioned "parallel bus" but I would have thought that individual supplies would equal less noise. I want to know why one would run those three effects this way. Maybe its the secret to making the screamers sound better at those high settings?
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux