Zoom H4

Started by Walker done done, December 17, 2012, 02:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

Just a quick note to those looking to record themselves or their band: the cheapest, easiest, and best device (quality wise) I've found without wanting to break the bank or become an expert in some overzealous technology is the Zoom H4.  Crazy how good it sounds when just left in the room to record using the 2 built in mics.  I either put it on a mic stand and leave it right in front of the band (literally like 2 feet in front of where I stand) or if I can find a shelf in the bar or something similar that works too.  Literally you just turn the thing on, press record and leave it on the whole night.  Uploading to your computer simply involves plugging it in and pressing a button.  Couldn't be any easier, and the quality is pretty damn good all things reconsidered.  Oh and if you want you can also plug in 2 condensor mics and pan them out left/right of the stage, along with the 2 mics that are build into the H4.  Haven't tried that yet and not even sure if I'm going to.  I paid $225 for mine, best money I've spent in a while.  Cutting up the show into tracks afterwards takes some time, but it also gives me a chance to sit down and listen to the show.   
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Heady Jam Fan

Nice review - I heard good things about that. Also, good point about listening after the show; I can't imagine a sports team not thoroughly reviewing footage from their game - I always notice things when I listen to my recordings that I didn't hear before, its a great way to learn.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

cool man.  I love my Mikey II for the Iphone, but only works with iphone 3 which is fine because I have one sitting around.  Has stereo condenser mics as well and captures so well.  Just use Blue Fire free app.  Just as easy.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

Quote from: Happyorange27 on December 18, 2012, 11:56:07 AM
cool man.  I love my Mikey II for the Iphone, but only works with iphone 3 which is fine because I have one sitting around.  Has stereo condenser mics as well and captures so well.  Just use Blue Fire free app.  Just as easy.

Is there a good stereo condenser for the 4? Getting into home recording.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.