For Sale: Darrell Cook spruce/koa hollow and '67 Fender (modded and markered)

Started by cactuskeeb, April 08, 2013, 11:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuskeeb

There are things besides playing music that have really grabbed my attention as of late; so I'm letting go of every piece of gear I own.  Yeah, I know, but trust me - it's the right call for me at this juncture in my life.  Anyhow, everything but the guitar and amp will be ebayed in the near future.  I'm placing this "for sale" notice in the classifieds for my guitar and amp.  Here's a flickr page for the amp: http://flic.kr/ps/2rNFwd

I drew a giraffe with two heads on the grill cloth, in magic marker.  That's what that is. 

Stecks

Wow, bold moves home boy..   You sure everything must go?  What brought all of this about?
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

cactuskeeb

As I said it's just not something I'm that into anymore - I mean, the actual playing music part.  I'd rather tinker with the electronics or research different ways to accomplish said tinkering with the overall goal being to just make it sound better.  You will never find another amp that has been so often changed on the level of the circuit in such minute ways.  There's nothing else I feel needs to be done to it; hence the feeling that I'm done with this project.  Feel free to ask questions and know that I'll accept a return of the amp within 14 days after it arrives at the buyer's residence.  Also feel free to message me with an offer - it's not like I'm hoping to get a lot of money.

Heady Jam Fan

Wow!..

Would you consider selling the 2-headed-giraffe grill-cloth on its own?

On a serious note, I can't believe your selling that amp! I guess I understand you want a new project. Good luck on your sales.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

cactuskeeb

Fyi, the amp comes with its current tube complement:
V1: nos rca 12ax7
V2: nos mullard 12at7
V3: nos rca 12ax7
Phase Inv: nos rca 12at7
(all were acquired from kcanostubes.com)

Power section:
-Matching pair 1950s rca 6v6gt biased at 30mA (exact bias for each tube is fractionally over or under 30mA)
-nos mullard GZ34 https://www.kcanostubes.com/content/nos-mullard-5ar4gz34-large-base

EDIT: The tubes were/are very expensive, but I'm not pricing the amp accordingly.

I should mention that among other less drastic changes here and there I marshallized the first channel which also uses the trem circuit's preamp tube (the trem is disabled obv).

EDIT 2: Also be aware that the bass potentiometer on channel one is on the fritz (scratchy and poppy when you turn it).

cactuskeeb

Here are pictures of the guitar: http://flic.kr/ps/2rNFwd

It was built in '08 by Darrell Cook.  The back and sides are koa, as is the headstock, while the top is non-European (Alaskan) spruce.  The neck is maple and I can't remember what the fretboard is, although I know it's something exotic.  The pickups are Seymour Duncan.  The bridge is a tune-o-matic piece wedged onto an ebony base that's been meticulously sanded down to match the contours of the arched top.  This is a full-hollow design (i.e., no center block).  The two smaller pickup switches are coil-tap and series/parallel.

A "few" things:
1.  The truss rod is frozen and neck relief is a little high but has held stable for about 3 years, not desperately needing adjustments.  However this will have to be fixed at some point and I would suggest the potential new owner get it done immediately, as climate change will most likely warrant adjustment big time.  I double checked the email in which Andrew Olsen of AO Guitars gave me a rough estimate of 600 dollars (sorry to the person to which I said it would cost 400).  AO's estimated price includes the fretboard replacement that must follow replacing the truss.

2.  If you click on the link you'll see a closeup photo of where the neck attaches to the body.  That small gap was there when I bought the guitar four years ago; it hasn't gotten any bigger.  Two years ago I used a syringe-like applicator to squirt some wood glue in there, just in case it needed the reinforcement.

3.  When I replaced the nut a year ago I cut the notches based on what felt most comfortable to me.  This personal touch will obviously become impersonal if the guitar finds a new home, but keep in mind it is cheap and easy to replace the nut.

4.  No, your eyes do not deceive you, it's grimy and dirty pretty much all over.  And, yes, there is permanent marker outlining the bridge -- this was done a) for placement purposes and b) because I didn't care how it looked.

cactuskeeb

I'm asking $650 for the guitar (with hardshell case).

That's craaazy low, man!

the_great_lemon

Quote from: cactuskeeb on April 10, 2013, 01:48:53 PM
I'm asking $650 for the guitar (with hardshell case).

That's craaazy low, man!

Can you post a pic???

EDIT: Is it the one on the flickr page?
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

cactuskeeb

Hans Moleman

Out of curiosity, what mods have you done to the deluxe? I'd be really interested in hearing how you marshallized the first channel, and how you have both set up? It looks like you A/B between both channels?

ColForbin

Quote from: Hans Moleman on April 25, 2013, 04:33:32 PM
Out of curiosity, what mods have you done to the deluxe? I'd be really interested in hearing how you marshallized the first channel, and how you have both set up? It looks like you A/B between both channels?

I feel this might be a long, informative read if Cactus details this whole thing out.  Looking forward to it.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

No Nice Guy

Quote from: cactuskeeb on April 10, 2013, 12:34:09 AM
Here are pictures of the guitar: http://flic.kr/ps/2rNFwd

It was built in '08 by Darrell Cook.  The back and sides are koa, as is the headstock, while the top is non-European (Alaskan) spruce.  The neck is maple and I can't remember what the fretboard is, although I know it's something exotic.  The pickups are Seymour Duncan.  The bridge is a tune-o-matic piece wedged onto an ebony base that's been meticulously sanded down to match the contours of the arched top.  This is a full-hollow design (i.e., no center block).  The two smaller pickup switches are coil-tap and series/parallel.

A "few" things:
1.  The truss rod is frozen and neck relief is a little high but has held stable for about 3 years, not desperately needing adjustments.  However this will have to be fixed at some point and I would suggest the potential new owner get it done immediately, as climate change will most likely warrant adjustment big time.  I double checked the email in which Andrew Olsen of AO Guitars gave me a rough estimate of 600 dollars (sorry to the person to which I said it would cost 400).  AO's estimated price includes the fretboard replacement that must follow replacing the truss.

2.  If you click on the link you'll see a closeup photo of where the neck attaches to the body.  That small gap was there when I bought the guitar four years ago; it hasn't gotten any bigger.  Two years ago I used a syringe-like applicator to squirt some wood glue in there, just in case it needed the reinforcement.

3.  When I replaced the nut a year ago I cut the notches based on what felt most comfortable to me.  This personal touch will obviously become impersonal if the guitar finds a new home, but keep in mind it is cheap and easy to replace the nut.

4.  No, your eyes do not deceive you, it's grimy and dirty pretty much all over.  And, yes, there is permanent marker outlining the bridge -- this was done a) for placement purposes and b) because I didn't care how it looked.
are you still selling the guitar?  Consider me extremely interested if so.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

cactuskeeb

Quote from: No Nice Guy on October 23, 2013, 01:02:43 AM

are you still selling the guitar?  Consider me extremely interested if so.

Yes, it is for sale again.  Still asking 650.00 for it.  I think I succeeded in being thorough in my description (above).  However, let me know if you have any questions at all, and I will do my best to answer them in sufficient detail.  Also, the flickr page with pics is no longer active, but I would be more than happy to register for a new page and post pics again.  Let me know.  Thanks.

No Nice Guy

Quote from: cactuskeeb on October 23, 2013, 01:42:04 AM
Quote from: No Nice Guy on October 23, 2013, 01:02:43 AM

are you still selling the guitar?  Consider me extremely interested if so.

Yes, it is for sale again.  Still asking 650.00 for it.  I think I succeeded in being thorough in my description (above).  However, let me know if you have any questions at all, and I will do my best to answer them in sufficient detail.  Also, the flickr page with pics is no longer active, but I would be more than happy to register for a new page and post pics again.  Let me know.  Thanks.

For pictures you could use imgur or puu.sh if you don't wanna bother with flickr, I'll think of some questions tomorrow.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr