Buzz Electronics Programmable Looper - Review / Pics

Started by Heady Jam Fan, July 04, 2013, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Just got my 8-loop, programmable looper from Buzz Electronics!

Here are some pics (sorry my board is messy, just rearranged with the looper) so you can see the rig I'm working with:

My main complaint is that I can't seem to fit my Rat on my pedalboard now!

I love my old pedals, but with all those buffers, its definitely nice to have a TB looper - I definitely notice a bit more clarity.

This looper has two settings/modes:
1) Programmable - each footswitch toggles a set of loops, like patches/presets
2) Single - each footswitch controls a single loop.

These two modes can be used simultaneously!

For example, on my looper, from the right to the left, the footswitches control:
1) Tuner (loop 1) (single loop mode)
2) Phaser (loop 2) (single loop mode)
3) Keeley (clean) Red Dirt (loop 3) > Ross Comp (loop 6) (programmed mode)
4) Mildly overdrive TS9 (loop 4) > Ross Comp (loop 6) (programmed mode)
5) Full-scream TS9 (loop 5) > Ross Comp (loop 6) (programmed mode)
6) Mild TS9 (loop 4) > Full-scream TS9 (loop 5) > Ross comp (loop 6) (programmed mode)
7) Ross Compressor (loop 6) (programmed mode)
8 ) MXR 6-Band > AD9 (loop 8 ) (single loop mode)
(PS - I currently don't have anything in loop 7)

This lets me select a programmed 'core tone' (footswitches 3 through 7), then add phase (footswitch 2) and/or lead (footswitch 8 )!

This had really cut down on tap dancing! For example, I can now go from clean to soaring lead in two stomps: If my loop is the programmed 'patch' tied to footswitch 3 (Keeley RD>Comp), I just have to stomp footswitch 6 (TS9>TS9>comp), then footswitch 8 (MXR 6-band>AD9) to get to a soaring lead (TS9>TS9>Comp>MXR 6-Band>AD9). Without the programmable looper, this would have taken 5 stomps.

Problems:

If you are using a preset / programmed sound, say my clean sound tied to footswitch 3 (Keeley RD > Ross Comp) and you also have Phase (loop/footswitch 2, in the single loop mode), but you want to switch to the programmed preset tied to footswitch 4 (mild TS9>Ross Comp), the phaser turns off when you stomp footswitch 4. In some ways, this makes sense - your changing your preset and the new preset doesn't have phase, so it turns off and you need to turn it on again once you have switched programs. On the other hand, if effects/loops tied to footswitches set to the single-loop mode stayed on when you switched programmed presets, I think it would be more intuitive and make switching smoother.

Another issue comes up if a the footswitch tied to a loop is set to single mode, but that loop is also part of a program, but I didn't need to use any settings like this (ie, if I wanted loop 2 - phase - to be part of a programmed preset, while still being controlled by its footswitch set to the single-loop mode).

The final issue is that there is no screen and programming can be a bit cumbersome / tedious. I got better at it, but I wouldn't want to have to fiddle with it at a gig. On the other hand, the beauty of this piece of equipment is the simplicity and low-cost - adding a screen would draw away from that. I don't plan to make changes on the fly, so I am fine with fiddling with it at home if I need to and not messing around at gigs / band practice. However, at one point, the first footswitch (tied to the tuner) got a little quirky and stopped functioning, but I got it working again somehow (I had to keep trying to switch its modes, powered the looper up and down a few times).

Oh yea - the looper also calls for 300ma!
And I kinda wish the input jack was on the (right) side rather than the top (where it is bumping my Phaser).

Other details about my setup:

I have my reverb after the looper - I keep it kinda mellow and always on.

I have the MXR 6-Band on the first row so I can turn it off easily if I want to use my AD9 alone for rhythm rather than leads.

I want to put my Rat in the same loop as the full-scream TS9 (as Trey Anastasio calls his TS that has the drive knob cranked). This way I can toggle between which one is turned on and can have to options for really dirty sounds when that loop is activated. Not sure if I can fit it on my board though.

Conclusion:

This is a sweet looper and I am really digging it so far. If your looking for a budget, programmable looper, I would definitely suggest keeping this on your radar. For me, it does exactly wanted I wanted / needed - cleaned up my tone while allowing me to focus more on playing than tap-dancing - ain't no one comin' to my shows to see me dance ;). The switching is silent, but it took me a minute to get used to the switches: they don't click, they are 'soft.' Its also cool that Buzz lets you pick the LED colors - some colors are a bit too bright, but I tried to plan how I would use each loop and harness the synesthete within myself to pick colors, lol. I think the white and blue are a bit too bright though.

Oh yea - one last thing. With all my buffered pedals, if they lose power (or my entire board lost power, like if the power cable to my PP2+ got disconnected), I would lose signal. With the TB looper, my clean sound goes through. Definitely a nice fail safe.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Thanks man!

I got some more Dual Lock and finally 'organized' all my pedals on the board. I also got the Rat back on there, which I had really missed. In fact, when I wasn't sure if I could get it on my board, I was considering replacing the 'full-scream' TS9 with the Rat.

Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

Looks sweet. You keep your Ross level dimed I see. Interesting.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

I have the output dimed when I need to use those noise-reducing pedals - I find feeding them more signal lets them work a bit better.

Also, in that pic the sustain knob is a bit higher than I usually keep it - I had just finished Dual-Locking etc so some knobs got pushed around (mostly the Phaser - I run it at 12 o'clock most of the time).

InLikeTheRose

Hey Heady Jam Fan, new to these forums and just came across your review! I'm thinking about getting one of these loopers, how have you found it now that you've been using it a while? and also is that a pedaltrain 2 you have it on? I have one so I'm trying to see how big it is on the board.

Thanks man

Heady Jam Fan

Hey - welcome aboard!

I've been ridiculously busy with school, my jobs, and moving so I just picked up my electric for the first time in a few weeks.

I really like the Buzz, however, I few times recently I had an issue where all my programming disappeared. I contacted Simon at Buzz and he gave me a few suggestions that I haven't really gotten around to trying.

And yes, that is a PT2, its nicely with one MXR-sized box on the side.

InLikeTheRose

Thanks for getting back to me! Thats cool, I have a PT 2 myself and it looks like it'd be a perfect size. However losing the programmed presets would probably be a deal breaker for me... Is it every time you power off the looper? Hopefully its not a permanent flaw...

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: InLikeTheRose on August 12, 2013, 04:44:07 PM
Thanks for getting back to me! Thats cool, I have a PT 2 myself and it looks like it'd be a perfect size. However losing the programmed presets would probably be a deal breaker for me... Is it every time you power off the looper? Hopefully its not a permanent flaw...

It seems the problem was that the high-current outputs on the PP2+ only supply 250ma while the looper requires 300-350ma (IIRC - I lost the spec sheet). Its hard to believe a looper requires so much current - most manufacturers 'overspec' their pedals current-hunger, but apparently the Buzz looper really does need a lot of current.

Since realizing this, I am using the courtesy/auxiliary outlet from my PP2+ with a 9v adapter and the looper is cured of amnesia.

Another option would be to connect two outlets from the PP2+ together (the opposite of splitting an outlet). Obviously this would mean you can power one less pedal, but it works too.

Also, Simon from Buzz Electronics is really helpful and responsive. The looper has a 2 year warranty.

So if you can power the Buzz Electronics Looper, I think it is kick ass.

InLikeTheRose

Ah ok, I get ya now. I'm in Europe (Ireland) so i think i need a different cable to use the courtesy outlet on my PP2+, an IEC C14 apparently! Thats great man, glad to hear the buzz electronics looper is good, i'll probably order one in the next while, they're the only programmable looper for that cheap really. I was actually chatting to Simon a while back about getting one of the loopers with an extra row of LED's above the switches so it can indicate the current preset active aswell as the loops active in that preset (most people probably wouldn't need that but it'd be handy to know what preset you're currently in, especially if ya gotta sing at the same time and cant really be looking down at the looper too much).

I wonder if theres a way to velcro a courtesy output power strip under the PT2, so that any adaptors can be hidden away!? that'd be awesome, anyway ill see what i can do.

Thanks man you've been a great help!

Heady Jam Fan

I use a 3 inch extension from the courtesy outlet of the pp2+, which connects to the 9v adapter wall wart. I Velcro the wall wart to the bottom of my pt2.

Jkendrick

Would you all put a wah and a TU-3 in a loop on a programmable looper? They seem to be effects that I'd want access to in all scenarios. If I leave them out of the looper (in front of the looper) it seems to be the easiest configuration. Of course then they're not TB'd. Thoughts?
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Buffered

Quote from: Jkendrick on September 03, 2014, 05:28:56 PM
Would you all put a wah and a TU-3 in a loop on a programmable looper? They seem to be effects that I'd want access to in all scenarios. If I leave them out of the looper (in front of the looper) it seems to be the easiest configuration. Of course then they're not TB'd. Thoughts?

Do you want the buffer always active? If so, before the loop.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

Quote from: Buffered on September 04, 2014, 08:53:01 AM
Quote from: Jkendrick on September 03, 2014, 05:28:56 PM

Do you want the buffer always active? If so, before the loop.
That's kind of why I'm asking.  After getting the TU-3 and putting it right after the wah my tone improved. It seems like the buffered wah is just fine, but if there's some reason to put them in loops I don't want to have overlooked something.  I needed to order more patch cables so I'm in limbo and thought I'd ask.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Buffered

Quote from: Jkendrick on September 04, 2014, 10:44:22 AM
That's kind of why I'm asking.  After getting the TU-3 and putting it right after the wah my tone improved. It seems like the buffered wah is just fine, but if there's some reason to put them in loops I don't want to have overlooked something.  I needed to order more patch cables so I'm in limbo and thought I'd ask.

Wah's and Fuzzes after buffers are gonna have a bad time. Also, by putting a tuner in the loop you lose the buffer as well as the ability to mute your signal (I think). I'd put it in front of the loop.

As far as cables go, do you solder ever? Love rolling my own, and I've saved a ton of money and headaches by being able to built my own with quality wire.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation