Main Menu

Pedalboards

Started by No Nice Guy, November 03, 2013, 04:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

So right now I've got an SKB PS-45.  It's incredibly convenient with it's power supply and all that shit, but I have no place to keep my cables, and they make a bit of a mess.  I'm thinking of converting to a Pedaltrain, but are those worth it?  Is there a better option?  Or maybe a good way to organize my cables?
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

fluffhead4020

If you still have the soft case that came with it, coil your cables and stick then in the mesh pockets. Another thing I do, since I have too many pedals for the board, is use a piece of cardboard to separate two compartments by putting the cardboard ontop of the pedal board in the case and putting all extra cables an pedals on top of the piece of cardboard. This would only be useful for carrying and transportation, though.

With my method, of just safely jamming everything in there, it does get kinda bulgy and heavy. But I wrapped my piece of cardboard in a layer f bubble wrap to ensure no scratches or damage.

No Nice Guy

Quote from: fluffhead4020 on November 03, 2013, 04:58:32 PM
If you still have the soft case that came with it, coil your cables and stick then in the mesh pockets. Another thing I do, since I have too many pedals for the board, is use a piece of cardboard to separate two compartments by putting the cardboard ontop of the pedal board in the case and putting all extra cables an pedals on top of the piece of cardboard. This would only be useful for carrying and transportation, though.

With my method, of just safely jamming everything in there, it does get kinda bulgy and heavy. But I wrapped my piece of cardboard in a layer f bubble wrap to ensure no scratches or damage.

This thing doesn't have a soft case, it came with a hard case. 

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

fulltone1989

I used to have that, and truth be told I just put cables into a backpack. For pedaltrains or at least the PT-1HC that I have there's no room for cables so I just use a backpack setup for accessories. I mean there is room if you squeeze it in there.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

fluffhead4020

If you're talking about carrying for transportation, then I recommend using my cardboard method that creates 2 layers inside your case. If you're talking about patch cables being messy while you are using your pedal board, then yeah, the Pedal Train is nice in that sense because you can wrap cables around the "train tracks." But just for all around transportation, it's gonna be the same regardless of pedal board. I'm pretty sure the Pedal Train does comes with a hard case with a tiny mesh pocket that you could maybe put some cables in. But, maybe you could spring for the soft case Furman case. I have 13 pedals. 3 of which are instrument cables, and I fit all of this in my soft case (I have same pedal board as you) with my cardboard method. It sounds stupid, and I made it in about five minutes, but It keeps it neat in there when I carry my excess of pedals and cables everywhere.

No Nice Guy

Quote from: fluffhead4020 on November 04, 2013, 12:38:20 AM
If you're talking about carrying for transportation, then I recommend using my cardboard method that creates 2 layers inside your case. If you're talking about patch cables being messy while you are using your pedal board, then yeah, the Pedal Train is nice in that sense because you can wrap cables around the "train tracks." But just for all around transportation, it's gonna be the same regardless of pedal board. I'm pretty sure the Pedal Train does comes with a hard case with a tiny mesh pocket that you could maybe put some cables in. But, maybe you could spring for the soft case Furman case. I have 13 pedals. 3 of which are instrument cables, and I fit all of this in my soft case (I have same pedal board as you) with my cardboard method. It sounds stupid, and I made it in about five minutes, but It keeps it neat in there when I carry my excess of pedals and cables everywhere.

Yeah, I'm talking about when the cables are just laying around.  It gets obscenely messy. 

Heady Jam Fan

I have my PT2 with a soft case.

The patch cables I use are a blend of Lava Mini ELC and Hosa (either vintage pancake or the regular ones with the right angle jack).
Without a pro/custom patch cable job, it is a bit messier, but I don't care about looks and I control my board from the loop switcher.

As for my other cables and Mesa Footswitch, I keep them in the front pouch of my Pedal Train soft case. The hard case and another bag would be preferable in a lot of ways - I love my old pedals and want to protect them - but the soft case is quick, easy and cheaper.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

So is the PT2 the consensus pick? I have my board in an old suitcase that I converted to a pedal board and I think it's time to upgrade. I don't have a huge rig (wah, volume, tuner, delay, comp, TS9, Tim, and a few other pedals I don't always keep on the board), but I'd prefer to keep it to one row. That might not be possible but it's what I'd prefer.

Also is this a good price?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001G3TJXO?cache=6b0a3a57dd12999e25888300f6568f36#ref=mp_s_a_1_1&qid=1391263215&sr=8-1&precache=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on February 01, 2014, 09:08:54 AM
So is the PT2 the consensus pick? I have my board in an old suitcase that I converted to a pedal board and I think it's time to upgrade. I don't have a huge rig (wah, volume, tuner, delay, comp, TS9, Tim, and a few other pedals I don't always keep on the board), but I'd prefer to keep it to one row. That might not be possible but it's what I'd prefer.

Also is this a good price?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001G3TJXO?cache=6b0a3a57dd12999e25888300f6568f36#ref=mp_s_a_1_1&qid=1391263215&sr=8-1&precache=1

I still use a PT2, but I switched to a Hard Case. Its more cumbersome, but better protection and my knobs don't get turned every time I move my rig.

Thats the normal price for a new one. You might be able to haggle the price down on eBay - I got my PT2 with a hard case for $160.

IIRC, Music Go Round has a used PT2 SC (Soft Case) for $80. I have my PT2 SC for sale too, I offered it to a few friends locally for $60 and I think one of them is buying it tomorrow.

Don't forget you'll need a power supply too! The go-to is Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+, but there are other good ones out there too.

Here is my PT2 so you can decide if you can get all your pedals on there the way you want:

And here is a Pizza I made the other day:

mmm
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

How much for the pizza?

Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Jkendrick

Seriously though, why do I need the Voodoo Labs? Right now I just have my effects daisy chained and then plugged directly into a surge protector.

Heady Jam Fan

Haha, the Pizza was delicious, but is gone now.

You can use your daisy chain, but it can cause noise and other problems. If its working for you, great! If you have issues, thats the first place I'd look. There are tons of threads on TGP and other sites that talk about power supplies if you do a google search like:
Quotesite:thegearpage.net daisy chain

Jkendrick

Cool thanks. There's a little bit of noise but not too bad for my purposes. I'm not playing out, just jamming with friends. I jam fairly regularly with some professional touring musicians but that's always acoustic. And I really don't think they'd be bothered by the noise even if we did plug in. With twin toddlers, that money is probably best spent elsewhere. :p

Heady Jam Fan

Yep, and its something you can always upgrade if you find yourself with some extra cash in your hand.

Jkendrick

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 01, 2014, 11:10:29 AM
... if you find yourself with some extra cash in your hand.
Like in 22 years when the twins are done with college?