New Guitar Day: Ibanez MC300NT

Started by fulltone1989, December 09, 2013, 10:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Found this MC300NT on my local Craigslist and grabbed it over the weekend for what I think is a good price. Total boat anchor but it sounds great! I'm still trying to figure out what each tri-sound switch does and I will probably have to replace the 3-way switch on the horn but it's a great player. The Super 88's sound very clear, and I totally get why these guitar are so revered! Any tri-sound owners care to chime in?

Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

the_great_lemon

Don't know much about this guitar but looks like a great score! Congrats!
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

raisingfreen

The Tri-Sound Switches equal: Series>Split>Parallel. One for each pickup. Nice guitar. You have a perfect candidate for AO to make this into a Wolf. The wood configuration you have is very nice as well. Nice Score. Were you able to score the original case for this as well?
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

fulltone1989

Quote from: the_great_lemon on December 09, 2013, 10:10:48 PM
Don't know much about this guitar but looks like a great score! Congrats!

Thanks! I was poking around on the Ibanez Collectors forum and got some info regarding the body and electronics. Mahogany body with ash sandwiching it. Super 88 pickups. Sustains very easily and nicely!

Freen, thanks man! I found that the first year of the MC3 series (1978) they wired Hum-parallel-OOP single if what I am ready is correct. I was thinking of modding the OOP to a regular single as the tone is pretty ratty the way it currently is. Cleaned the electronics which helped and it sounds good but I may need to replace the 3 way at some point. I haven't taken a clear look at the wiring for the trisounds though so I will verify if it's wired OOP or otherwise. All original besides the knobs and case though.

Hadn't thought of the Wolf mod, as that's my favorite Jerry guitar behind Alligator. No case unfortunately, I really like the guitar though and could hold onto it for awhile.

I was thinking of the mod that Scott Murawski did to his MC30NT and it sounds killer. The tone pot adjusts the blend between single and hum on each pickup - would love to figure out how to do that.

EDIT: Played it for awhile today and I think I am going to hold off on modding the switches for a bit. The sound grew on me and it's useful when combined with other options.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

fulltone1989

So over the weekend I broke out the solder station and wired up the Tri sound to give me Humbucker - Series Single - Single options and it's much more useful. Trying it with the band tonight.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: fulltone1989 on January 12, 2014, 11:35:52 AM
So over the weekend I broke out the solder station and wired up the Tri sound to give me Humbucker - Series Single - Single options and it's much more useful. Trying it with the band tonight.

Did you mean Hum, parallel single, & single? If not, what is series single as opposed to humbucking?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Yepp  ;D glad someone was paying attention