Thinking of building a Jimmy herring style strat

Started by fulltone1989, January 17, 2014, 09:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Hey all,

Thinking of building a Jimmy Herring Strat. Alder body, RW fretboard, 6100 fretwire, SD 59's, 2 volumes, 1 tone. I'd also like to use the switches I have for some s/h and parallel/series options - but I already have that option in another guitar so IDK. What else do I need besides the monster chops?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Heady Jam Fan

Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand. I wonder if that helps the wood breathe moar.

Hmm, I didn't consider strings. EXL110's like all my other guitars.

Heady Jam Fan

Sounds like a cool build. Basically a double fat strat? I have a double fat strat right now I got in a trade. The humbuckers are pretty damn hot for passives and much louder than the middle three settings on the 5 way switch. I don't even know what the middle three settings are to be honest. Are you gonna use a 5-way or 3-way switch?

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 17, 2014, 10:48:16 AM
Sounds like a cool build. Basically a double fat strat? I have a double fat strat right now I got in a trade. The humbuckers are pretty damn hot for passives and much louder than the middle three settings on the 5 way switch. I don't even know what the middle three settings are to be honest. Are you gonna use a 5-way or 3-way switch?

I'm excited. It's similar to a double fat, I think that it's close to the double fat or essentially the Big Apple strat Fender put out in the early 2000's. Not sure on whether or not to use the 5 or 3 way. Looking at pic's of JH playing the Gene Baker made one it seems his is on the middle setting and he uses both volume knobs to mix which pickups get more. I may install a 5 way switch if I can still get s/h options and then i'd only need to use one of my switches. I think most strats come pre-routed for hums nowadays. Are mighty mite bodies any good?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: fulltone1989 on January 17, 2014, 11:25:22 AM

I'm excited. It's similar to a double fat, I think that it's close to the double fat or essentially the Big Apple strat Fender put out in the early 2000's. Not sure on whether or not to use the 5 or 3 way. Looking at pic's of JH playing the Gene Baker made one it seems his is on the middle setting and he uses both volume knobs to mix which pickups get more. I may install a 5 way switch if I can still get s/h options and then i'd only need to use one of my switches. I think most strats come pre-routed for hums nowadays. Are mighty mite bodies any good?

I don't know anything about mighty mite bodies, but I had a Tele with a Warmoth neck and it was pretty killer. $300 or so though I think. I got it in a trade and kept it for about a week.

You could get a jigsaw and a router and make your own!

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 17, 2014, 11:45:50 AM
Quote from: fulltone1989 on January 17, 2014, 11:25:22 AM

I don't know anything about mighty mite bodies, but I had a Tele with a Warmoth neck and it was pretty killer. $300 or so though I think. I got it in a trade and kept it for about a week.

You could get a jigsaw and a router and make your own!

I was definitely going to do Warmoth for the neck, I think they fit Fender bodies with some shimming - and cheaper in the long run than getting a Fender neck and having to refret for 6100's wire. I'm not that savvy with woodworking! I'll see what my old man's got it the garage, if I could get a trace of it I'm sure I could figure something out.