Just some clean noodling including Phishy tunes.

Started by Heady Jam Fan, January 22, 2014, 05:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

https://soundcloud.com/jweingarden/clean-noodling

Artinger Hollowody > Buzz Electronics Looper with a bunch of pedals from the 70's and 80's:
Script Phase 90 > PQ9 > Ross Comp > GE9 > AD9
Silverface Deluxe Reverb with CL80 speaker and a Beam Blocker
Recorded with an AT404 about 10 inches from the grill (with the -10db pad and attenuated bass settings on).

I set the PQ9 with flatter mids than a TS9, but a mid peak around 700hz similar to a TS9 with the tone knob at noon.

No post processing except very very mild limiting.

This is my first shot recording with this amp, a beam blocker, using the PQ9 for my cleans, in this room, etc. I think the clean sounded pretty good, but I had trouble capturing my overdriven sound accurately.

PS - I love the beam blocker though. I tried taking it off for recording when I had trouble capturing my overdriven sound and put it back on soon after.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

great sound man.. is that speaker normally too bright? hence the beam blocker? And what's the -10db pad? is that on the AT404?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on January 24, 2014, 10:51:01 PM
great sound man.. is that speaker normally too bright? hence the beam blocker? And what's the -10db pad? is that on the AT404?

Thanks!

I think I could use a little more treble in my signal, either mic placement or on the treble knob.

The speaker is not too bright - they actually are pretty dark, but the amp has plenty of treble on tap and the beam blocker makes the tone more consistent no matter where your standing in relation to the speaker. Also, I think the amp functions better with the treble knob higher. So when the beam blocker absorbs some treble, I think it makes the amp sound a little fatter and thicker.

The -10db pad is on the AT4040. A lot of condenser mics have a feature like that. I guess those mics are pretty sensitive, especially since they use phantom power (powered by whatever they are plugged into - mixer or interface or whatever) so padding the signal can be helpful. It just turns it down 10 decibels before it hits, in my case, the mixer.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 25, 2014, 10:32:07 AM

Thanks!

I think I could use a little more treble in my signal, either mic placement or on the treble knob.

The speaker is not too bright - they actually are pretty dark, but the amp has plenty of treble on tap and the beam blocker makes the tone more consistent no matter where your standing in relation to the speaker. Also, I think the amp functions better with the treble knob higher. So when the beam blocker absorbs some treble, I think it makes the amp sound a little fatter and thicker.

The -10db pad is on the AT4040. A lot of condenser mics have a feature like that. I guess those mics are pretty sensitive, especially since they use phantom power (powered by whatever they are plugged into - mixer or interface or whatever) so padding the signal can be helpful. It just turns it down 10 decibels before it hits, in my case, the mixer.

Very cool man! That all makes sense. Its a great thing to "know" how to use your gear. Trey was soo right with his theory. "better to know your gear than to have really good gear"  When you understand how things work and how they sound in certain scenarios, you can manipulate things to sound professional and unique. And it seems you "understand" all that and make good use of it. Keep up the goods my dude!

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on January 30, 2014, 06:33:58 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 25, 2014, 10:32:07 AM

Thanks!

Very cool man! That all makes sense. Its a great thing to "know" how to use your gear. Trey was soo right with his theory. "better to know your gear than to have really good gear"  When you understand how things work and how they sound in certain scenarios, you can manipulate things to sound professional and unique. And it seems you "understand" all that and make good use of it. Keep up the goods my dude!

This other guitarist and I just started jamming and inviting other musicians to join us. Kinda psychedelic prog rock. But last night we switched rigs for a bit and three things came up from it:
- My girlfriend worried it was analogous to being a swinger: we can share our rigs (therefore) "we can share our women, we can share our wine."
- I realized how little I have to concentrate on my rig: with the compressor after my dirt pedals, my volume stays very natural sounding no matter which one or group of those pedals are on. All I have to do is make sure my lead boost volume sits correctly in the band mix. His pedals all effect volume and he is constantly riding a volume pedal to keep even (sound guys hate that).
- I need to be less critical of my tone. From an instrument-cable's distance away, my tone doesn't sound as good and smooth as across the stage. The other guitarist was saying how smooth my sound is and its hard to hear until you put some distance between yourself and the amp. My smooth midrange goes great with his broader-frequency Mesa Rectifier with more of a sizzling crunch.