UPDATED (2/14) - Quick Jam with New Recording Gear

Started by Heady Jam Fan, February 12, 2014, 10:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Newest version w/ Bass and lead:
https://soundcloud.com/jweingarden/quick-test-on-new-recording

So this is just a quick single take on each track. I just got some new recording gear:
- A new mac (my last one was 10 years old!)
- Switched back to an SM57
- Presonus FireStudio Project

Post processing:
- Reverb on the two rhythm guitar tracks
- High-Pass Filter on both rhythm tracks, lead and bass
- Limiting on the Master
- Does the panning and fade out count?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Tasty licks, sounds good! You notice any difference between USB and Firewire? I don't except when recording 6 or so inputs simultaneously.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on February 13, 2014, 01:16:20 PM
Tasty licks, sounds good! You notice any difference between USB and Firewire? I don't except when recording 6 or so inputs simultaneously.

Thanks man

When I used USB, it was on my old computer (which was 10 years old). It would sometimes get lagged down, I always restarted my computer before recording and made sure no other programs were open. I also only recorded one track at a time. My understanding is the lag usually occurs when going through a USB interface into the computer, then back from the computer to the USB interface for monitoring. I usually monitored straight from the computers built in output.

But my Firewire>Thunderbolt is fast on this new computer (especially with a ton of RAM and Flash instead of hard drive).
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 13, 2014, 01:43:54 PM

Thanks man

When I used USB, it was on my old computer (which was 10 years old). It would sometimes get lagged down, I always restarted my computer before recording and made sure no other programs were open. I also only recorded one track at a time. My understanding is the lag usually occurs when going through a USB interface into the computer, then back from the computer to the USB interface for monitoring. I usually monitored straight from the computers built in output.

But my Firewire>Thunderbolt is fast on this new computer (especially with a ton of RAM and Flash instead of hard drive).

Good to know, I have a 2008 black Mactop currently not in use that would be great for recording, but I haven't used the firewire input since buying new and I'm concerned it won't work..
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on February 13, 2014, 01:57:46 PM

Thanks man

Good to know, I have a 2008 black Mactop currently not in use that would be great for recording, but I haven't used the firewire input since buying new and I'm concerned it won't work..

What makes you concerned it won't work?

BTW, I think this Presonus Firestudio's preamps sound much better than the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra.

And I dig Garageband's new drum setup - you pick the 'drummer' (style), the sound of the drum set, and how heavy-handed and complex the drummer plays.

Buffered

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 13, 2014, 02:08:47 PM

Thanks man

BTW, I think this Presonus Firestudio's preamps sound much better than the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra.

And I dig Garageband's new drum setup - you pick the 'drummer' (style), the sound of the drum set, and how heavy-handed and complex the drummer plays.

Nothing in particular now that you mention it, but I know the USB is good. If I picked up a Firewire interface and found the input to be dead on the computer it'd be a bummer but I could just return it hehe.

I was considering either the Presonus, or a Mackie Onyx off the bay. The Scarlett 2x2 is another option too but the Presonus looks like the better buy as far as features go. That's really cool about the drummer style though, I am going to be using iWork '08 but I wonder if I can upgrade garageband...

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on February 13, 2014, 04:51:19 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 13, 2014, 02:08:47 PM

Thanks man

Nothing in particular now that you mention it, but I know the USB is good. If I picked up a Firewire interface and found the input to be dead on the computer it'd be a bummer but I could just return it hehe.

I was considering either the Presonus, or a Mackie Onyx off the bay. The Scarlett 2x2 is another option too but the Presonus looks like the better buy as far as features go. That's really cool about the drummer style though, I am going to be using iWork '08 but I wonder if I can upgrade garageband...

Yeah, I didn't have a lot to spend, but the Presonus Firestudio Project seemed like the best bang for buck... the cost of good preamps skyrockets and I'm not sure why (if they require expensive components?), but anything with 8 inputs/pres would have been prohibitively expensive for me.

On my old computer (the 10 year old one), I had updated Garageband about 6 months ago and whatever version I had was very different than the new one on my new computer. I have 10.0.1 now - huge changes that took me a bit to figure out. On one hand, it makes doing certain things harder, but is in other ways more fail-safe for a beginning user, which I don't mind because I don't use a lot of effects, I just want simple, quick recording

webephishin

^Have you ever used Logic Pro X?  That's what I use and it's soo bomb and easy to use.  For only $200 too.
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: webephishin on February 17, 2014, 07:25:15 PM
^Have you ever used Logic Pro X?  That's what I use and it's soo bomb and easy to use.  For only $200 too.

No - never used Logic, but always wanted to try it out. I've heard its familiar if you know Garageband. The Presonus came with Cubase LE, but I had some issue with getting it register using the eLicense code. I used to use Cakewalk way way back in the day, so I'm sure I'd like Cubase, but not sure if I really care to switch to it.

webephishin

Yeah it's pretty similar to Garageband.  When I bought my mac I messed around on GB for about a week and a half, then bought Logic...the transition was pretty smooth and it didn't take long to get used to.
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: webephishin on February 17, 2014, 07:36:43 PM
Yeah it's pretty similar to Garageband.  When I bought my mac I messed around on GB for about a week and a half, then bought Logic...the transition was pretty smooth and it didn't take long to get used to.

Do you remember which GB you had? 10.0.1 seems much different than whatever I paid to update to on my old mac just 6 months ago.
Any particular things you like more about Logic?