Main Menu

ditto x2

Started by sour d, March 03, 2014, 03:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour d

I guess the new ditto x2 looper has reverse and half speed. I bet these will be a good,  quiet replacement for a boomerang.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Jkendrick

Is this superior to the Digitech Jamman and/or the LoopStation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Down_With_Sco

But will it do the reverse lead mode?!?!

My Boomerang's Once button is mashed in but I still love it! Besides I don't notice noise running it through my amp's FX loop; hell the comprosser brings the noise.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Hoody

I actually just bought this pedal about a month ago and find I like it a LOT more than my Boomerang.  Its so much quiter, easier.  A quality pedal, built well, takes up about 1/8th the space, is simple to operate, and really has a great sound quality.  The true bypass is huge. 

Great pedal, i'd recommend it.  Much better than the boomerang in terms of sound and quality.

Poster

I actually like the Vox delay lab most, but its huge, albeit, less huge than the rang

Walker done done

Holy shit looks who's back!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

fishbiscuit

Quote from: Jkendrick on March 03, 2014, 03:50:07 PM
Is this superior to the Digitech Jamman and/or the LoopStation?

I have the generation one Ditto and love it as a practice looper.  The Digitech Jamman seems to always be a bit noisy for my tastes.  Boss stuff is fine but I've never cared for them.  The Ditto is a very straight forward looper but I would divide between practice vs live loopers.  For live I really think the only really good options are the Boss RC-300 or the Boomerang III.  I feel for live looping you want far more control over the different loop channels.  The Boss RC-30 and RC-20XL both have inputs where you can buy a pedal that will let you cycle through the different loops and its a bit cheaper.

I really like my Ditto generation one and really don't plan to upgrade to the X2 as I don't have a need for the features (yet).
Guitars: Ibanez RG Prestige
Amps:   Fender Frontman (2x12 - 100w)
Pedals:  TC Polytune 2 > Analogman Silver Mod TS9 > EH Big Muff Pi > Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie 2 Wah > Xotic SP Compressor > TC Flashback Delay > TC Ditto Looper

Jkendrick

Could you elaborate. What's the difference. The live looping stuff Trey does I'm generally not a fan of. I would like to use it for practice, yes, but I'd also like to use it for a few things live. For example, I do a solo acoustic Tweezer Reprise (I can post a clip if that would help) where I build loops of each part. Main riff, keyboard chords part, little bass bend thing, keyboard build up chords, and then I play the Trey octaves build up live. Would a Ditto work for something like that?

Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

fishbiscuit

Quote from: Jkendrick on March 23, 2014, 09:56:27 AM
Could you elaborate. What's the difference. The live looping stuff Trey does I'm generally not a fan of. I would like to use it for practice, yes, but I'd also like to use it for a few things live. For example, I do a solo acoustic Tweezer Reprise (I can post a clip if that would help) where I build loops of each part. Main riff, keyboard chords part, little bass bend thing, keyboard build up chords, and then I play the Trey octaves build up live. Would a Ditto work for something like that?

I consider a practice looper (not that it can't be used live) is something like the ditto where you layer one track over another.  You can add or remove but its built on the last loop you just recorded. 

The Boss RC-20XL, RC-30, RC-300, Boomerang III and above have separate channels so if you record 5 or 6 different loops you can can in and remove just that one loop.

The advantages if the more expensive ones (Boss RC-300, Boomrang) is that the have individual controls for each of the channels so when playing live you have a lot more control over effecting different parts of the loop.

I think it comes down to cost for most people.  For bedroom jamming or throwing in something simple the Ditto and 129.00 USD is great.  Some people like the Digitech Jamman but I do not prefer it.  With more control over your loops you spend more money so unless looping in a large part of your live playing I would start with something like a Ditto and then decide if you need to move up.

RE: Your Tweezer - I think you would want something with channels (not the ditto or Ditto X2) maybe look at the Boss RC-30 with a Boss foot switch that will let you move between channels.
Pedals:  TC Polytune 2 > Analogman Silver Mod TS9 > EH Big Muff Pi > Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie 2 Wah > Xotic SP Compressor > TC Flashback Delay > TC Ditto Looper

the_great_lemon

Quote from: Jkendrick on March 23, 2014, 09:56:27 AM

I think you could totally get away with using the Ditto live for Tweeprise as long as the timing on the first loop is tight, and you don't want to remove any tracks (other than the one you just recorded).  Let us know how it works for you!

I use a ditto live to help fill out the sound of my trio and get some special effects looping; sorta how trey uses his.  Works great!
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Jkendrick

Thanks for the help folks. Im still pretty confused. Im totally green when it comes to loopers. Here's the Tweeprise I'm hoping to recreate live. This is recorded with Garageband on an iPad (internal mic) just recording each part and then looping it. The only "live" stuff starts with the Trey octave stuff at 1:31.

https://soundcloud.com/jim-kendrick/tweezer-reprise/s-dvp4h?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=email

I'm only looking at doing open mic kinda things but I'm hoping this could be a cool "set" ender for a solo acoustic thing if a looper would allow it. I don't mind paying a little more for the right pedal.

fishbiscuit

Quote from: Jkendrick on March 24, 2014, 01:09:19 AM
Thanks for the help folks. Im still pretty confused. Im totally green when it comes to loopers. Here's the Tweeprise I'm hoping to recreate live. This is recorded with Garageband on an iPad (internal mic) just recording each part and then looping it. The only "live" stuff starts with the Trey octave stuff at 1:31.

https://soundcloud.com/jim-kendrick/tweezer-reprise/s-dvp4h?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=email

I'm only looking at doing open mic kinda things but I'm hoping this could be a cool "set" ender for a solo acoustic thing if a looper would allow it. I don't mind paying a little more for the right pedal.

After listening to your sample I think a single channel looper would be fine for what you are doing and I think the Ditto X1 or X2 would be great for the price.  But don't be confused! thats what we are here for, to help each other out.  My most basic advice for people is creating your first loop.

When play a 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 loop you start recording on one and click off on the next bar of 1. So 1 - 2 -3 - 4 - 1.  That gives you a full loop without the gap.  Took me a few minutes when I got my first looper.

Jkendrick

Cool. I probably just need to go to a shop and try 'em both out. Tough to do with 18 month old twins though. ;) Thanks for the help.

One more question, does the regular Ditto have the USB port like the X2? Can it store loops and transfer back and forth to a computer?

the_great_lemon

The regular Ditto does have a USB jack for updates (lol) and sending loops back and forth.

EDIT: It does have the USB jack but ive never used it.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Buffered

When I was originally checking out loopers, I was really interested in the boomerang III until I saw the jamman stereo. It really has a ton of features, loop iphone clips, and save on the fly without having to setup your computer.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation