Main Menu

Badcat Unleash

Started by Heady Jam Fan, March 06, 2014, 12:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Quote from: Jkendrick on November 29, 2015, 12:20:41 PM
I'm finally thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these and I see now there is a v2 (is it not out yet?). Also on TGP there seems to be quite a bit of love for the Fryette Power Station. Any thoughts on the Unleash v2 vs the Fryette? Seems both are considerably more expensive than the original Unleash. I was hoping to spend $400 and it now looks like it will be more like $600.

I have the Fryette, I'd say it's really worth it. You get a Line In/Out, tube FX loop, tube reamp and attenuator and impedance adapter. If you need all those things, it boils down to about $100 a feature. I paid $550 for mine, with shipping back in May but I'm not sure how much they are now. I'd say it's more transparent than the Alex I had for awhile when attenuating my Express 5:50+. It's a MV amp, so while I don't "need" the attenuation it's great for getting the Mesa's masters really up there while being able to control the overall volume nicely. I haven't used it as a reamper for a low wattage amp, but I bet it works as well as the Bad Cat. However, it's only a 50W power amp whereas the Unleash is much more so you'll get more headroom although the Bad Cat is Solid State where the Power Station is Tube FWIW. I originally bought my Power Station to go with my Carr Slant 6v but I sold it. Now, with my Express (attenuation not totally required, but nice) I still find reason to keep it around even though I could probably get my money back for it on TGP.

For me, having the effects loop after the power amp really opens up the tone of the amp and removes some of the blanket sound one can experience with some loops and pedal impedance. 
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

Cool thanks. I probably can't pull the trigger until the New Year in fears it would be delivered during a time we'd be out of town.  Am I right that it can only be ordered directly from Fryette? I'd love to go to a store and buy it in person.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Buffered

When I bought mine that was the case as they were still new to market, but I think you can order one through a Fryette dealer and they'd be happy to hold onto it for you or they might have one to sell right away. I think they're shipping in less than a week now from order date.
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

I pulled the trigger. Ordered from the Fryette site. Says three days to process. We're going out of town next week, but we have a dog sitter that can bring it in if its delivered then. I'm excited.  I've been recording some things and the tone has been pretty bad because I have to turn it down so low. I'm hoping this will help with this and also allow me to practice  with my electric more.
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Buffered

Quote from: Jkendrick on December 01, 2015, 10:59:55 AM
I pulled the trigger. Ordered from the Fryette site. Says three days to process. We're going out of town next week, but we have a dog sitter that can bring it in if its delivered then. I'm excited.  I've been recording some things and the tone has been pretty bad because I have to turn it down so low. I'm hoping this will help with this and also allow me to practice  with my electric more.

For me it absolutely does - set the amp the way you like then use the PS to control the overall output. Sounds real clear. Also, the line out feature is really nice for running into your DAW.

Fryette mailed mine with a signature required.

Jkendrick

Oh cool. So I assume they'll just keep it at the PO until I get back in that case?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on December 01, 2015, 03:12:38 PM
Oh cool. So I assume they'll just keep it at the PO until I get back in that case?

I think they keep things for a certain number of days (5?), or a certain number of attempted deliveries (3?) before they return the package to the sender. You also have two other options.

1) Leave a note on the front door asking the delivery person to leave the package. Sign the note.
2) I have an online log-in for the various delivery companies. If the address tied to a tracking number matches my registered address, I can change some of the delivery info. This could include waiving the signature requirement, having the package held at the PO, sending it to another address, etc.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

I was able to pick up my Power Station today. Do you guys put your whole effects board through the effects loop?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on December 14, 2015, 11:54:17 AM
I was able to pick up my Power Station today. Do you guys put your whole effects board through the effects loop?

When I had the Unleash (which I used with my Deluxe Reverb), I only ran my EQ/Boost and Delay in the loop. The rest went in front of the amp. I bought a cheap single TB Loop Switch to control the two pedals (I switched them on / into the loop for solos).
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

Right. I read up a bit after posting this and realized you wouldn't want to put OD in the loop. Thanks!

Buffered

I run my delay through the loop on the PS. Really cool where the placement of the loop in the signal chain and sounds amazingly clear.

Jkendrick

I can't wait to mess with it. Tomorrow should be first opportunity.

Jkendrick

Got the PS all hooked up. This will definitely lead to more playing electric (and save what's left of my hearing). It sounds great playing at volumes no louder than my acoustic. One thing I noticed is at those volumes is the sustain fades much more quickly. Is this just a fact of the physics of not moving as much air? At full volumes I have pretty much on demand infinite sustain; with the PS engaged it fizzles out pretty quickly.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on December 16, 2015, 01:38:16 PM
Got the PS all hooked up. This will definitely lead to more playing electric (and save what's left of my hearing). It sounds great playing at volumes no louder than my acoustic. One thing I noticed is at those volumes is the sustain fades much more quickly. Is this just a fact of the physics of not moving as much air? At full volumes I have pretty much on demand infinite sustain; with the PS engaged it fizzles out pretty quickly.

Could just be physics. Does the sustain seem to end naturally, or does it sound more gated (abrupt, or unnatural)? I'd think with your rig you should still be able to get decent sustain even at low volumes. Maybe tilt the amp so the speaker faces your pickups.

Jkendrick

Thanks. I'll keep messing with it.

Next question. What would you guys recommend for direct recording from the line out to an iPad or Mac? iTrack? iLine? iRig? Something else?