What covers do you currently play

Started by Jkendrick, April 21, 2014, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkendrick

Curious what covers folks are playing these days. I generally choose songs that I like and may be unexpected but are not too obscure. I also like to learn songs that can be challenging to me. Here's what I'm currently playing:

Poor Places - Wilco
Peggy O - Traditional ( arr. Grateful Dead)
Mother Nature's Son - The Beatles
Going to California - Led Zeppelin
Tables & Chairs - Andrew Bird
Gomorrah - Jerry Garcia
Albuquerque - Neil Young
Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out - Jimmy Cox (arr. Eric Clapton)
Beaumont Rag - Doc Watson
Russian Lullaby - Irving Berlin (arr. Garcia/Grisman)
All The Things You Are - Jerome Kern
Take the "A" Train - Billy Strayhorn
Terrapin Station - Grateful Dead
The Naming of Things - Andrew Bird
Cryptical Envelopment - Grateful Dead
Fluffhead - Phish
Abbey Road Suite (You Never Give Me Your Money>The End) - The Beatles
Help on the Way->Slipknot!-> (Grateful Dead)
AC/DC Bag - Phish
Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
My Brother Esau - Grateful Dead
I Know A Little - Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Argus- Ween
Pink Moon - Nick Drake
Little One - Beck
At Least That's What You Said - Wilco
Just - Radiohead
The Divided Sky - Phish
Stormy Monday - T-Bone Walker
The Rain Song - Led Zeppelin
The Eleven - Grateful Dead
Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd
Stash - Phish
Eyes of the World - Grateful Dead
Holland 1945 - Neutral Milk Hotel
Tweezer Reprise - Phish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

TheSeeker

...and I thought I was the only Neutral Milk Hotel fan on here..haha...nice man!!
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

Buffered

Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

Okay, so everyone plays exclusively original music. Got it. I need to write more songs.  ;) ;D
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

TheSeeker

Ok, here goes:

-Reba (Phish)
-Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd)
-Mother (Pink Floyd)
-In the aeroplane over the sea (NMH)
-Down by the river (Neil Young)
-On an island (David Gilmour)
-Lifeboy (Phish)
-Where did you sleep last night (Leadbelly)
-Medication (Spiritualized)
-Where is my mind? (The Pixies)
-Gardenhead/Leave me alone (NMH)
- 1952, Vincent Black Lightning (Richard Thompson)
-The Trickster (Radiohead)
-Fog (Radiohead live version)
-Frost (Trey Anastasio)
-My guitar wants to kill your mama (Frank Zappa)
-Broken hearts are for assholes (Frank Zappa)

There's a couple more, I just can't think of them...... ???
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

tsbot

Ok I'll play!

Fluffhead
Sleeping Monkey
Character Zero
Silent in the morning
Bathtub Gin
Billy Breathes
Farmhouse
Kill devil falls
Meatstick
Ocelot
Roses are free
Stealing time from a faulty plan
Wading in the velvet sea
When the circus comes to town
Yamar

Soulshine
Stella blue
Sugaree
Going down road feelin bad
All along the watchtower
Me and my uncle
Morning dew
Peggy o
Second that emotion

Hmmm those are the ones I can play that I can think of right now- not necessarily lead and jam long solos over by any means, but have fun and enjoy playing start to finish!

Plus a handful or two of originals that are fun as well!

Jkendrick

Cool. Do you guys play all those in bands? I should be clear that I don't play in a band. All of the above listed covers I've been learning and recording over the course of the last year and half since my twin boys were born. I've been (tongue firmly in cheek) calling it the "Nap Time Acoustic Covers Project." I generally just learn the song and then come up with a basic acoustic arrangement and record it directly to my iPad. All but two songs (Fluffhead and At Least That's What You Said) are acoustic. Some I've added some Apple loops to as well. My singing is terrible and the solos are almost all improvised and recorded in under five takes, warts and all. It's been a good project that I can do in hour chunks while the boys nap. I just can't get into the mindset for writing with such a finite amount of time. Sadly, the naps are tapering off and I don't even have time for covers anymore.

tsbot

I don't play in a band either - usually I'll just loop it on the boomerang and jam to it - and my wife is 5 months prego w our first girl so no more talk of no time to play!  It's worrying me - although we did buy a new house so I'd still have a guitar room so score one for me haha!

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

tsbot

Well thank you!  I finally am really satisfied where I'm at with it - have a boss blues driver mxr custom comp boss rc20 loop station and a few more that I've finally replaced with what's on the board and it was well worth it!  I wired it myself underneath to keep it clean and I pleasantly surprised myself on how it turned out! Haha!

Buffered

That board looks great! Have you tried other vibes besides the MDV3? I was gonna get one but I tried an Aquavibe and just love it.

Cover-wise,

I added Ghost, Moma Dance, and Sex Machine.
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

tsbot

Thanks!  I really didn't try any other vibes - I like it but it does feel a bit weak if that makes sense - and don't know if I needed the foot pedal vs just a box - but I'm done buying stuff for awhile! So it'll have to do haha!

Buffered

Quote from: tsbot on May 03, 2014, 12:00:18 PM
Thanks!  I really didn't try any other vibes - I like it but it does feel a bit weak if that makes sense - and don't know if I needed the foot pedal vs just a box - but I'm done buying stuff for awhile! So it'll have to do haha!

On the MDV I had there was a little spot where you can insert a flathead screwdriver which adjusted the photocells intensity, maybe the MDV3 does too? It's convenient with the foot version though!

tsbot

Yea there are volume and intensity knobs on the side!

Heady Jam Fan

The MDV2 also had internal trim pots that fine-tuned the intensity or depth or something...
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9