Main Menu

Ipad

Started by Buffered, April 23, 2014, 09:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Hey everyone,

Thinking of picking up an Ipad for using as a chart reader while practicing and on jazz gigs. I'd like to scan all my old lessons onto the Ipad so I can access them easily without having to go digging through binders. Have any of you guys tried this? Does it make sense? The only thing I could see as a deterrent is when I want to write in different subs on a chart or take notes but I heard that some apps can do that..
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Buffered

UPDATE:

So I went ahead and got the new Air last night, I've been on the fence about it but after playing around with it in the store with the files I had I pulled the trigger and to be honest it's pretty sweet so far. I've transferred my Jimmy Herring guitar lessons and that's cool because I can zoom in on the individual examples. I also got the Story of the Ghost songbook off the Apple store, and it's a bit of a curve but how I learn songs is I focus on nailing specific sections and then piece them together so with more getting used to it should be a good option for getting rid of binders upon binders.
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

I was hesitant to respond earlier as you had some specific needs that I haven't explored. But I use my iPad quite a bit for guitar stuff. I'll watch YouTube lessons or just go over stuff in variius instructional sites. But also I use GarageBand on the iPad pretty much exclusively now for recording. I started using it because it was easy to just record my acoustic with it right on my coffee table while my boys napped. But my brother-in-law (who is a touring musician and uses it to record demos he brings to his band) got me a mic for it for Xmas and now I even use it to do bigger recording projects. It's certainly limited but for my needs works remarkably well.  Enjoy your purchase!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Buffered

Quote from: Jkendrick on April 24, 2014, 09:50:34 AM
I was hesitant to respond earlier as you had some specific needs that I haven't explored. But I use my iPad quite a bit for guitar stuff. I'll watch YouTube lessons or just go over stuff in variius instructional sites. But also I use GarageBand on the iPad pretty much exclusively now for recording. I started using it because it was easy to just record my acoustic with it right on my coffee table while my boys napped. But my brother-in-law (who is a touring musician and uses it to record demos he brings to his band) got me a mic for it for Xmas and now I even use it to do bigger recording projects. It's certainly limited but for my needs works remarkably well.  Enjoy your purchase!

Thanks man! What mic did you go with? I have a Zoom that I use for band rehearsals, but it's a cool idea for rough demos in the basement bc I can email to the band right from there or put on Dropbox. Have you tried Truefire for lessons?

Jkendrick

It's an Apogee. I have no idea how expensive it is. I would guess not very. But it's good enough for my purposes. My brother-in-law uses his on the bus but more sophisitcated stuff in his home studio.

I have checked out Truefire. I actually posted in the Truefire thread here looking for reviews of the paid courses.

http://www.strangedesign.org/forums/index.php?topic=1975.msg14382.msg#14382

I was interested in the Fareed Haque Bebop Survival Guide. The free videos honestly didn't seem all that helpful. Wondering if the full paid course is worth it.

1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT