Different Than Usual Trey Tone

Started by Jkendrick, May 15, 2014, 11:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkendrick

Anyone?

BTW, I changed the title of this thread as it seems to better represent the conversation at this point.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

webephishin

I heard a difference in his tone last night for a very short segment...it sounded similar to the earth vibe he used for limb by limb at Chaifetz a year or 2 ago....I was streaming the webcast last night, but it did not show his pedals, so i can't say if his board was different.

EDIT: Earth DRIVE not vibe..
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

tsbot

That's a good point - his pedals did seem like a different arraignment.  On Facebook Phish they posted last nights Fuego and do a quick shot of his Whammy during the jam - the pedals seem set up a bit different - which I can believe b/c of all his new additions and arrangements.
Thoughts?

Down_With_Sco

So yea.... even though Trey has the Mesa in the 'on' positions, the light still appears to be off. I guess he's been EQing the Bogner much more carefully this tour.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Hoody

Pretty sure he is only using the Mesa, even if you can't see the light.  It sounds like the Mesa and the Mesa has cables into it and the switches are all in the on position.  I didn't think I saw any cables going into the bogner and didn't see a light on the bogner.  He also didn't have the bogner at all on Fallon, so I'm pretty sure he's switched back to the Mesa full time, smart choice sounds a Lot better.

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Hoody on July 22, 2014, 08:12:55 AM
Pretty sure he is only using the Mesa, even if you can't see the light.  It sounds like the Mesa and the Mesa has cables into it and the switches are all in the on position.  I didn't think I saw any cables going into the bogner and didn't see a light on the bogner.  He also didn't have the bogner at all on Fallon, so I'm pretty sure he's switched back to the Mesa full time, smart choice sounds a Lot better.

He's absolutely only using the Mesas.  I was on the rail for Randall's n3, and the Shiva wasn't plugged in while the Mesa were.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Down_With_Sco

Well that's good to hear..... I hate that fucking Bogner. lol
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Poster

Why in the wide world of sports you kids have not gotten into having cloned amps built is beyond me. You can literally build just about any of those vintage circuits for a couple hundred dollars. I recommend trying a couple of blackface mid 60's circuits, then expand into some tweed stuff, maybe even some kt66 powered fender circuits. Hell a fender band master is a mighty hammer of tone. Just because trey didnt use that amp or this amp, you can start to learn how to pull those epic tones off. Most of the time a great amp is just a slightly modified version of a classic vintage circuit anyway. So if you literally take the time to play every pickup position with each amp, youll start to hear how they relate to one another, which has huge humps in the EQ, head room, breakup etc etc etc.

Come on boys and girls. Grow a pair. Trey and Brian have all the time in the world to order whatever, and fuck with it. Then they shape that signal through the enormous PA. So yeah lets do this! Take yourself to guitar center and bring a pad of paper. Or get a trio of amps made and see which ones rocks.

Dont be a fucking pussy!

Love you guys

Buffered

That, is, a derailment. Clones are cool. My Fuchs is an improvement (IMHO) on the original, a clone I guess in the sense of a really close amp lineage but there's different stuff going on than a 100% Dumble ODS clone.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Poster

well there only clones of particular dumbles. all the ODS were different, based on who he was making it for... Ive found the best dumble esc stuff comes from the redplate OD stuff. and not a derailment at all if you consider the constant changes in gear for red, and the kinda mindless reactions in regard to why he using what, when, and how. Kimock is a great resource to learning about amp swap etc in smaller spaces

Down_With_Sco

Trey should leave the Languedoc cabinets on the truck on some random night and rent a couple 4x12's.... would love to see people's reactions! I know he used the Bruno cab, but a full stack would be funny.

Buffered

Quote from: Poster on July 26, 2014, 01:26:31 PM
well there only clones of particular dumbles. all the ODS were different, based on who he was making it for... Ive found the best dumble esc stuff comes from the redplate OD stuff. and not a derailment at all if you consider the constant changes in gear for red, and the kinda mindless reactions in regard to why he using what, when, and how. Kimock is a great resource to learning about amp swap etc in smaller spaces

Yeah it's not like each ODS' are radically different from one another though, the ODR and SSS yes. I was talking about that style of amp in generalYeah redplates sound cool but when I played a MDD it was just too buzzy but that could be other stuff going on. Would be interested to try his new ODS style model.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Down_With_Sco

Trey has two Boogie heads where the Bogner combo was... YAY no more Bogner!

Heady Jam Fan

I just blackfaced my Deluxe Reverb - sounds much better to me!
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on August 30, 2014, 10:04:36 AM
I just blackfaced my Deluxe Reverb - sounds much better to me!

Nice, but what does that have to do with Trey's rig? lol