Any opinions on this SFDR?

Started by Jkendrick, June 02, 2014, 04:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Quote from: Jkendrick on June 19, 2014, 03:24:32 PM
Yeah, that was probably just over-excitement on my part (and a few IPAs  :-[ ). I think I kinda love the tone as is, so why mess with it anymore.

IIRC, the old fender's 2nd input doubles as an output. You could blend them? I love blending the Express and ODS.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

Quote from: Buffered on June 19, 2014, 03:49:24 PM
Yeah, that was probably just over-excitement on my part (and a few IPAs  :-[ ). I think I kinda love the tone as is, so why mess with it anymore.

IIRC, the old fender's 2nd input doubles as an output. You could blend them? I love blending the Express and ODS.

That's an interesting idea. Problem is I no longer have a functional cabinet for the UniValve as I pulled the California to put in the DR.

Okay so one more I'd like to try, but I want to make sure I'm okay doing it. I'd like to replace the V2 12AX7 preamp tube with 12AT7 or 12AY7. The link Heady posted says this will give an even smoother OD. I've got these tubes lying around so I figure why not try it. Am I correct that I do NOT have to rebias to swap these tubes out?
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on June 19, 2014, 10:49:35 PM

That's an interesting idea. Problem is I no longer have a functional cabinet for the UniValve as I pulled the California to put in the DR.

Okay so one more I'd like to try, but I want to make sure I'm okay doing it. I'd like to replace the V2 12AX7 preamp tube with 12AT7 or 12AY7. The link Heady posted says this will give an even smoother OD. I've got these tubes lying around so I figure why not try it. Am I correct that I do NOT have to rebias to swap these tubes out?

You do not have to bias after swapping preamp tubes. Only after swapping power or rectifier tubes.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 19, 2014, 11:25:14 PM
Quote from: Jkendrick on June 19, 2014, 10:49:35 PM
Yeah, that was probably just over-excitement on my part (and a few IPAs  :-[ ). I think I kinda love the tone as is, so why mess with it anymore.

You do not have to bias after swapping preamp tubes. Only after swapping power or rectifier tubes.

Right on, that's what I thought. Thanks.

Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Jkendrick

This is what I've got on hand. Am I right in the equivalences?

5814 = 12AU7

5963 = 12AU7

5751= 12AY7

I'm thinking about throwing the 5751 In V1 and the 5963 in the V3.

Eta: asked and answered over at TGP

Jkendrick

It's been a journey, but I think I'm there. After getting this amp, I found the cleans to be exactly what I was looking for. I could play the clean guitar directly into amp and be thrilled. But the overdrive wasn't right with my former pedal configuration. Whereas before my TIM with either the FD2 or the Keeley TS9 nailed what I was after, now the more transparent TIM wasn't working. I needed more mids. And, for some reason, the FD2 just wasn't as smooth with this amp. I know that's all due to the amp, but those pedals just weren't cutting it. I got a Rocket Boost EQ and that helped. But it broke down quickly (Peter fixed it free of charge and it is on it's way back to me now).

In the meantime I decided to try the Analogman TV808. Well, I got it today, and now I think I'm (almost) there. I had to move my compressor to after the OD, but otherwise I'm running the Keeley TS9 into the AM TV808 and it's damn near perfect. I still think I'll want the Rocket Boost EQ to help shape things a bit more than the tone knobs on the Tubescreamers allow. But damn, I'm finally really happy with all of it.

Ironically, I started this journey as I was planning on playing out more with a buddy who had just moved back to the area and then my wife went and got a great job, so we're moving to Portland next week. Anyone in Portland want to jam? ;D

Buffered

Have you clipped the bright cap in the amp yet? It's reported that TIM and TImmy don't like Fenders, but I like my Timmy with my Fenders when I had them.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

Quote from: Buffered on July 08, 2014, 09:44:47 AMHave you clipped the bright cap in the amp yet? It's reported that TIM and TImmy don't like Fenders, but I like my Timmy with my Fenders when I had them.

I did clip the bright cap. It definitely made a big difference. It's not so much that the Tim doesn't get along with the amp, it's that I like the shimmery cleans  of the Fender. On the UniValve I had a fuller, less bright clean tone and the transparent Tim worked well. With the Fender cleans, I want more mids added with my OD. And after trying a bunch, I think the original 808 sound is what I like most. The Keeley modded ts9 is great too and works well stacked with the 808. I still want to shape it a bit more with the eq, but I doubt anyone but me (or you tone-obsessed folks) would notice.