Interesting ways to improvise over a 7th chord vamp?

Started by Buffered, June 06, 2014, 09:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Hey all,

The trio is playing "Hard to Handle" and we're taking it in a funkier direction for the jam, but I find myself sounding a little generic playing blues/dorian over it the whole time. I've done the Coltrane Ascent in practice, which I feel alright with but would definitely like some additional exercises for keeping it interesting! We're playing it in B, so a B7 chord is the foundation for that jam. The 7th gives a lot of options, I'm just having trouble pinning down solid ideas...

Any suggestions and insights are greatly appreciated!
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

I'll chime in though I know there will be better suggestions than mine. If it were me, I'd be using Mixolydian as my basis. I'd throw in the Major 7 for the bebop scale and some chromaticism. I use chromatics a lot. I'd also experiment with the Diminished scale and the Lydian-Mixolydian scale. These have "out" tones so you need to be able to resolve, but it could add some tension and interest to your playing.

Take this all with a grain of salt and experiment. I'm definitely not as knowledgeable as some around here, so perhaps others could chime in and correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Hans Moleman

I agree with what you're saying about vamps. Without chord movement, it's very easy to sound stale. You definitely will want to use Mixolydian more than Dorian, as it's a dominant, not minor, chord.

One idea I use is altered and/or diminished sounds from the V of the tonic at the end of phrases. It gives the song a little tension/release when done right and can really build up the solo. So if I'm in B I'll play F# diminished altered lines that lead back to the 1.
Scofield is a real master of this, if you want to take some ideas from someone. He does this a lot in his stuff with MMW or his Uberjam Band.

The other thing I like to use is the idea of 'cycles' of either a major or minor third. I'ts sort of a Coltrane idea. If you're in B, playing an 8-bar phrase, on the start of the 7th bar  you play a 2 beat phrase in B, move up a minor third to D and play the same phrase, then to F for 2 beats, then to Ab, then on the 1 of the next phrase you're back in B and can either play the same phrase again to give it kind of a cyclical unity or play something that's 'derived' from that phrase, for lack of a better word. You can do this in reverse to, down a minor third.

Lydian dominant, at Kendrick mentioned, is a great scale to try.

Hope that helps.

Jkendrick

Quote from: Hans Moleman on June 06, 2014, 10:30:07 AM

The other thing I like to use is the idea of 'cycles' of either a major or minor third. I'ts sort of a Coltrane idea. If you're in B, playing an 8-bar phrase, on the start of the 7th bar  you play a 2 beat phrase in B, move up a minor third to D and play the same phrase, then to F for 2 beats, then to Ab, then on the 1 of the next phrase you're back in B and can either play the same phrase again to give it kind of a cyclical unity or play something that's 'derived' from that phrase, for lack of a better word. You can do this in reverse to, down a minor third.

Why start on the 7th bar? Wouldn't this sequence then end leading into the 2nd bar?
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Hans Moleman

If it's 2 beats a phrase that's 8 beats, i.e. 2 bars, therefore comprising bars 7 and 8 and leading back to the 1.

Jkendrick

Duh, I think I hadn't had my coffee yet.

Buffered

Thanks for the tips guys, Hans you're the man! Just the stuff to work on this weekend. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I start getting this under my fingers. I have some jimmy herring lessons I should look at again.

I should've mention I've been doing the minor 3rd cycles which work well, and I meant to type mixolydian instead of dorian.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

IamWILSON

You can still use the Dorian mode over B7 as well.  The only note difference between that and Mixolydian is just minor 3rd, which can be played over dominant chords.  Isn't that what happens in the blues all the time?  At that point, it's essentially a #9, as in B7#9, you know, the Jimi Hendrix chord!  

So if you're vamping over B7, try drawing from any and all of these options:

B Mixolydian (E maj) Here's the notes of B Mixo so you can see how the rest relate, chord tones in bold:

B C# D# E F# G# A

B Dorian: same as above, but with D natural

B Blues: B, D, E, F, F#, A

B min Pent: B, D, E, F#, A (It's also pretty cool to play B min Pent, and just add in the 6th/13th (G#)

B Maj Pent: B, C#, D#, F#, G#

E Maj Pent: E (11th), F# (5th), G# (13th), B (root), C# (9th)

F#m Pent/A Maj Pent: A (b7th), B (root), C# (9th), E (11th), F# (5th)
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).