Enormous TS9 Collection on ebay

Started by Buffered, June 19, 2014, 03:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Walker done done

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Buffered

Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

He's not really trying to sell it I dont think. Those collections come up on eBay regularly and never sell. He's just strokin' it watching forum discussions envy his colection ;)
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

That being said, I have never seen the orange ones before.

Down_With_Sco

An OD-802 or original TS9 would be cool, but besides that it's all novelty at this point. Obviously we all know the infinite amounts of shops that mod and create their own versions of tube screamers...
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Buffered

Have you guys seen any demos for the EQD Palisades? If I was in the market for a TS style I'd consider that.

IamWILSON

I just looked on Ebay to see what the vintage ts9 and ts808 are going for these days.... I'm astounded at how much the prices have risen in just the last couple years.  Makes me wish I would have bought more of them.  I had about 5 ts9 ('81 and '82s) and a '81 TS808.  I hooked up HappyOrange with one of the ts9's at a great price, and then sold 2 more of them on Ebay for what I thought was decent money (and couldn't imagine how the prices would get higher).  Well I was wrong, dead wrong!  Now I still have the ts808 and 2 '82 ts9's.  By seeing the condition mine are in and comparing them to Ebay sold prices, I wouldn't be surprised if I could turn those 3 pedals into close to $1500 in the near future.  But I'm not so sure I want to do that. 

As far as all the mods and other ts9-like options, I gotta say, they are a waste of time (imo).  When you try enough of those vintage ones and hear the mojo that some of them contain, you will understand why there is all the hype behind the original tubescreamers from the early 80's. 

Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

Wilson that TS9 you sold me never leaves the board. I make love to her daily. She likes it dirty bitch! 
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Down_With_Sco

I know the early 808's and TS9's are the sought after ones, but there must be a pretty good reason why Trey sticks with silver modded tube screamers instead of buying vintage. I remember reading on Analogman's site, that in 2003 Trey and Brian Brown sent a box of probably late 80's to 90's tube screamers to AnalogMan for modding.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: IamWILSON on June 20, 2014, 07:35:36 PM
I just looked on Ebay to see what the vintage ts9 and ts808 are going for these days.... I'm astounded at how much the prices have risen in just the last couple years.  Makes me wish I would have bought more of them.  I had about 5 ts9 ('81 and '82s) and a '81 TS808.  I hooked up HappyOrange with one of the ts9's at a great price, and then sold 2 more of them on Ebay for what I thought was decent money (and couldn't imagine how the prices would get higher).  Well I was wrong, dead wrong!  Now I still have the ts808 and 2 '82 ts9's.  By seeing the condition mine are in and comparing them to Ebay sold prices, I wouldn't be surprised if I could turn those 3 pedals into close to $1500 in the near future.  But I'm not so sure I want to do that. 

As far as all the mods and other ts9-like options, I gotta say, they are a waste of time (imo).  When you try enough of those vintage ones and hear the mojo that some of them contain, you will understand why there is all the hype behind the original tubescreamers from the early 80's. 

My thought as well. If I couldn't get a vintage TS9, I'd go with a Reissue. I have no interest in non Ibanez/Maxon TS's.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on June 21, 2014, 02:19:10 AM
I know the early 808's and TS9's are the sought after ones, but there must be a pretty good reason why Trey sticks with silver modded tube screamers instead of buying vintage. I remember reading on Analogman's site, that in 2003 Trey and Brian Brown sent a box of probably late 80's to 90's tube screamers to AnalogMan for modding.

Yes the silver was my favorite out of the TS pedals and boutique versions I've tried. That being said I haven't knowingly played a vintage TS.

The price has gone up! I have a KTR and I thought that was the investment...

Jkendrick

Can you elaborate?  What about Analogman's TV808? Isn't that making it exactly the same as the old 808 with NOS parts even? I don't understand how there could be a discernible difference.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on June 27, 2014, 04:03:14 PM

Can you elaborate?  What about Analogman's TV808? Isn't that making it exactly the same as the old 808 with NOS parts even? I don't understand how there could be a discernible difference.

I don't know if he uses NOS parts for the mod, but the mod only involves a few components - the rest of the pedal is still a Reissue. Ibanez build quality alone is not as good nowadays as compared to when the pedals were made by Maxon, which contributes to tone. Also, a lot of people say part of the tone of a vintage pedal is not just the old components but old components that have been used for many many hours.

Jkendrick

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 29, 2014, 05:00:05 PM
Quote from: Jkendrick on June 27, 2014, 04:03:14 PM

I don't know if he uses NOS parts for the mod, but the mod only involves a few components - the rest of the pedal is still a Reissue. Ibanez build quality alone is not as good nowadays as compared to when the pedals were made by Maxon, which contributes to tone. Also, a lot of people say part of the tone of a vintage pedal is not just the old components but old components that have been used for many many hours.
That is supposedly what you get with the NOS parts. Now of course the OTHER parts, those that are technically the same as the original, won't be "broken in" and that could possibly account for any difference.  After seeing this thread, I tried to find some comparisons on YouTube and all I found were the original 808 vs the Silver vs the Keeley Baked. They sound different,  obviously,  but they're supposed to. And they don't sound TOO different.  If the TV 808 is a total waste of time vs the actual vintage 808 I'd be surprised.  That said, a TV808 is still steep at $245. What does a vintage 808 go for?
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT