Trey's Mk iii EQ settings

Started by seriesnuns, July 24, 2014, 12:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seriesnuns

Hi all,

Anyone got a good pic of his MK iii eq settings.

I just picked up one these bad larry's and trying to dial her in for the trey sound.

Jkendrick

I believe this is the best picture of his Boogie settings:

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 23, 2013, 02:43:28 PM

Gripped these from the video.

The treble is much higher than I usually have mine - the treble boost on the volume knob is also pulled, but the overall volume is louder than I can play at home (or probably inside anywhere) and the knobs on a Mesa are so interactive its hard to tell if the treble might get a bit more mild at that volume.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Hoody

Are you using an MK III?  I'd think those settings would work quite differently on a different amp.

Also, i'm very curious if anyone has used those other settings on an MK III and found that it was a workable setting.  I did not, the volume spike to lead was WAY too loud to work.  So wanted to know if others had it work or what they did.

As an aside -- someone had asked a while ago about Trey's tone at the Island Tour that sounded like a "parked wah".  I actually found w/ the MK Lead channel at the photo'd settings, if you really back off your guitar volume you get that exact tone.  Exact.  Its pretty cool.

Jkendrick

Quote from: Hoody on July 24, 2014, 02:19:33 PM
Are you using an MK III?  I'd think those settings would work quite differently on a different amp.

Also, i'm very curious if anyone has used those other settings on an MK III and found that it was a workable setting.  I did not, the volume spike to lead was WAY too loud to work.  So wanted to know if others had it work or what they did.

As an aside -- someone had asked a while ago about Trey's tone at the Island Tour that sounded like a "parked wah".  I actually found w/ the MK Lead channel at the photo'd settings, if you really back off your guitar volume you get that exact tone.  Exact.  Its pretty cool.

Yeah, I think I was the one who said it sounded like a parked wah. Interesting.

I mentioned in another thread that I had jotted down Trey's Boogie settings way back in '91 when I still had one. I was never able to make them work either. Boogies are so tough to dial in, I'm not sure just copying someone's settings could ever work even if you had the same rig. Subtle differences seem magnified by the Boogie. Does Trey even use the EQ?
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

seriesnuns

I'm playing through a lonestar special.

I've been trying to dial in my mids wanted a bit of a sharper tone at some points.

I'm running this at the beginning of my fx loop.

I like how it's true bypass and stompable. At first impression I was impressed. Give me some time to dial it in. This pedal was released this year. Haven't heard much about it except it differs from other EQ's because it target guitar frequencies. 

Hoody

Trey uses the auto function for his EQ, so it comes on for the lead channel only (which I am starting to wonder whether he even uses it).  He could also footswitch it, possibly, although i don't think i've seen such a footswtich.

J-Kendrick:  Do you happen to recall whether his '91 boogie settings were similar to what we saw in the rig video?  I know that he's almost always, since the 80's, used a high "pre-volume" setting on his amps.  So i bet that's right and he's always done it.  Any idea on the others?

I found his settings work great on a MK III for channel 1, but not so much on the others.  I'm starting to think he really must use the guitars volume a TON if those channels ever work for him on that amp.

Down_With_Sco

Trey does have custom footswitches for his Mesa... they are all black and to the right of his Tremolo expression control. So it's possible he uses the EQ by footswitch as Hoody stated, he has his EQ switch up in the 'Auto' setting. Trey definitely only uses the clean channel from the Mesa/Boogie these days..

these guys waay over here:

vvvvvvvvv
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Hoody

If he only uses the clean channel, why does he have the lead channel set to certain levels and written down?  I agree that from the sounds he gets and from my experience trying those levels that he probably doesn't use it, but that doesn't entirely make sense either.

Has anyone else tried those levels?  And with any success?  I had to turn my guitar volume down to about 1/4 to make it work, but it did get that awesome parked wah sound perfectly.  Really a cool sound actually.

tsbot

When was that photo taken?  Looks like he upped his level on the ross too!

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Jkendrick on July 24, 2014, 02:31:08 PM
Quote from: Hoody on July 24, 2014, 02:19:33 PM

Does Trey even use the EQ?

I was on the rail dead center for Randall's.  The EQ switch was absolutely on.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: tsbot on July 24, 2014, 07:48:29 PM
When was that photo taken?  Looks like he upped his level on the ross too!

Jones beach 2012 rig rundown

well level yea... but not sustain.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

seriesnuns

This equalizer rocks. This is also the first equalizer i've owned.

The mid boost this thing gives is unreal and makes me want use the neck pickup more often. Before I would lean on the bridge pickup for the mid/higher end sound.

I would recommend this unit before swapping amps/pickups/guitars if people are trying to dial in different  tones.