Machine Gun licks

Started by Down_With_Sco, August 15, 2014, 03:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down_With_Sco

Anyone able to figure out the sweep style lick Trey does in many Antelop peaks? It's like a triplet but with a sweep and hammer-on together.

8:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV5cpyyA1V0

6:58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRvG9zjyrog

I've managed to play a simpler way of that but I think it's my pinky that is the weak link.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Lephty

Yeah I have never been totally sure about this lick.  I also think he uses virtually the same technique in Lizards, where he does that big build-up that sort of bubbles up underneath Page's piano solo.  Here's what I think it is:

The first line is what I think the lick ACTUALLY is, the 2nd line is how I often actually PLAY it because (as you mention) the pinky workout is a little too much (note in the first line there's the extra little pull-off/hammer-on with the pinky). I think Trey sometimes falls back on the easier version as well.  Also note he moves it around more in Antelope than is shown here in the tab--the tab just shows the technique. 

Also FYI I did a video on Lizards a while back where I show the technique.  It's here (that specific part of the tune comes a little past the 13 minute mark):
http://youtu.be/RU24vuj6fSk

Down_With_Sco

Thanks for the reply, that Lizards video will help for sure learning that lick, I'd say you break it down pretty well. Maybe I'll learn lizards while I'm at it.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Jkendrick

Paul, so is it a similar riff to the triplets at the end of David Bowie? Seems, especially in the second example, to add that extra note. Also, obviously,  it's (Lizards riff) a minor triad instead of a major triad (Bowie).
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Down_With_Sco

The end of David Bowie is actually easier than this lick imo because the David Bowie coda lick is a straight ahead triplet.

Jkendrick

What's this riff? I apologize,  I don't have a guitar to mess around with it. Is it still triplet feel?
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Down_With_Sco

Jkendrick

Lephty

Yeah the Bowie lick is easier IMO, although maybe a bit faster.  Not a "triplet" technically, but groups of three like this:

Actually kind of like Knopfler's arpeggios at the end of Sultans Of Swing (on crack). 

Jkendrick

I have no doubt Trey copped that Bowie riff from Sultans.  How is it not a triplet? It's three notes for every quarter beat, right?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on August 18, 2014, 10:49:53 PM
I have no doubt Trey copped that Bowie riff from Sultans.  How is it not a triplet? It's three notes for every quarter beat, right?

Triplets are evenly spaced
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Quote from: Jkendrick on August 18, 2014, 10:49:53 PM

It is a triplet. 1 E & 2 E & etc
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Lephty

We're definitely hitting wonk-level semantic differences here, but I don't think those licks are true triplets--as HJF says, triplets are evenly spaced, but in this lick the 3rd note of each group is longer.  It's a "group of 3" but not technically a "triplet."

Check it out--I plugged it into my notation software, and you can hear how it plays back.  In this MP3 the lick plays twice, the first time as written in my tab above (two 16ths and an 8th), and the second time it plays back in triplets. To my ears the first one sounds closer to what you hear in the song.

http://backoffice.i5fusion.com/media/86084da1-61f7-44c9-96ff-ced1a251dae1/Bowie-Lick.mp3

Jkendrick

Huh, yeah maybe. The first one does sound closer to my ears as well, but the second one sounds *better* to me and is more what I strive for when playing these licks.

Lephty

Yeah I do kind of agree with you there.  Playing "true" triplets is actually kind of difficult (esp. when you're in 4/4), and it takes practice to really get it right.