New Mark III Head Shell - Coastline Amps

Started by Heady Jam Fan, January 24, 2015, 11:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

I posted this on TGP, but figured I'd share it here as well.

Greg, from Coastline Amps (eBay) built this head cabinet for my Mesa MKIII.

The 1x12 is from AB_Cabs on eBay and the speaker is a Steamboat Hemp 100.

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Nice look. Reminds me of those SF Dual Showmans. Still working on the NAD thread :)
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on January 24, 2015, 07:48:03 PM
Nice look. Reminds me of those SF Dual Showmans. Still working on the NAD thread :)

You mean the taller ones with the reverb? Yep, I can see that.

Your working on a NAD thread? Hows that coming?
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 25, 2015, 07:51:27 AM

Thats the one! I like the look of those a lot actually. You could set it up sideways ala Jer.

Trying to get some good clips, but I may not be going the best route.. SM57 on the cab, with the Zoom H4N micing the room/backing track
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on January 25, 2015, 01:48:52 PM

Thats the one! I like the look of those a lot actually. You could set it up sideways ala Jer.

Trying to get some good clips, but I may not be going the best route.. SM57 on the cab, with the Zoom H4N micing the room/backing track

Hmm, I'll have to try the sideways setting - Trey does that with his Mark III too, sometimes. Its not ideal for the reverb tank IIRC, but might be less risk of toppling over ;)

Re recording a demo... Its a finicky process, and everyone has their own approach. I'd worry about phase issues if I were using an SM57 close and a Zoom for the room and backing track. My approach is geared toward isolation for each track, so I wouldn't worry about recording the ambient room sound and I wouldn't have the backing track playing out loud. Rather, I'd load the backing track into Garageband and listen through headphones while recording the amp using a close-mic technique (mic right on the grill near the speaker's dust cap). I'm looking forward to hearing the demo though!

Buffered

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 25, 2015, 02:08:04 PM

Hmm, I'll have to try the sideways setting - Trey does that with his Mark III too, sometimes. Its not ideal for the reverb tank IIRC, but might be less risk of toppling over ;)

Re recording a demo... Its a finicky process, and everyone has their own approach. I'd worry about phase issues if I were using an SM57 close and a Zoom for the room and backing track. My approach is geared toward isolation for each track, so I wouldn't worry about recording the ambient room sound and I wouldn't have the backing track playing out loud. Rather, I'd load the backing track into Garageband and listen through headphones while recording the amp using a close-mic technique (mic right on the grill near the speaker's dust cap). I'm looking forward to hearing the demo though!

That headphone approach is an excellent idea, I can't believe I didn't consider it earlier. Thanks! Sorry to hijack your thread, it seems like tubes are less-prone to shorts with the head+cab setup. It'd also be easier for that headphone technique I would think..

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on January 25, 2015, 03:30:33 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 25, 2015, 02:08:04 PM

That headphone approach is an excellent idea, I can't believe I didn't consider it earlier. Thanks! Sorry to hijack your thread, it seems like tubes are less-prone to shorts with the head+cab setup. It'd also be easier for that headphone technique I would think..

No worries about hijacking the thread! I only made the thread because I really appreciate Greg, from Coastline Amps, going so far out of his way to build that head for me. It really fits like a glove and he didn't even have the amp chassis (he just went by measurements) - he really knows what he's doing. I just hoped the first post would connect him to some more buyers!

Re recording - hope that helps! I kinda honed my approach over the last 16 years, so its been weird being in a pro-studio and doing everything the engineer's way (rather than using headphones, he isolates the amp in another room, which I'm going to fight him on when I record my leads - I want to be with my amp for the feedback).

Buffered

Yeah it came out really nice I think. I'm considering a head shell for my Carr so it's a bit easier to manage, but the combo is ok/will have to do for now..

I could see how that's totally different - I actually tried that approach with recording the carr last night. I ran my amp in the other room of my apartment and controlled from the other, and then controlled and played in the same room as the amp and I thought I got better feedback as well. More tips thanks! So far, I've been able to bust out the 2i2 and I'm using an e609 and SM57 on the steamboat (I've read that they kind of cover the same ground, but I like how it sounds) and have made some nice simple tracks using MIDI instruments and the loops. Garageband is a ton of fun!

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on January 26, 2015, 11:20:39 AM
Yeah it came out really nice I think. I'm considering a head shell for my Carr so it's a bit easier to manage, but the combo is ok/will have to do for now..

I could see how that's totally different - I actually tried that approach with recording the carr last night. I ran my amp in the other room of my apartment and controlled from the other, and then controlled and played in the same room as the amp and I thought I got better feedback as well. More tips thanks! So far, I've been able to bust out the 2i2 and I'm using an e609 and SM57 on the steamboat (I've read that they kind of cover the same ground, but I like how it sounds) and have made some nice simple tracks using MIDI instruments and the loops. Garageband is a ton of fun!

Nice - I'm excited to hear what you come up with! I'd like to hear your review of those mics too. I usually just use SM57's for my personal recordings now, and its good to be used to them because every bar I gig uses SM57s. However, when we were doing the scratch tracks in the studio (the ones recorded with the whole band that get deleted eventually for ones with better tone and isolation), I think the engineer was using an Audix i5, and it sounded great. I might buy one before I do anymore recording of my own. I've also realized more and more how much the mic preamps make a difference, but they can get pricey.

Garageband is wild, especially considering its free!

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on January 26, 2015, 11:20:39 AM

Have you gotten time to form an opinion, or make any clips, of the Steamboat?

I'm still loving mine. I made an impulse buy and picked up a Hemp EV Force 12, which isn't completely broken in yet. The Force sounds great with the Mark III, especially the lead channel for that classic Mesa>EV fat liquid lead. However, I definitely prefer the Steamboat when I'm using my pedalboard (ie., TS9>comp). I used the Steamboat for my gig last night, but I might get another 1x12 for the EV for quick jam sessions when I don't want to bring my pedalboard.

Buffered

Yes! I think it's a great speaker, great in both my Carr and Mesa. It's punchier, and is brighter than what I'm used to but it helps with the darker OD channels in the amp. I made some clips with my Carr and posted them over on TGP, but here they are here too:

https://soundcloud.com/thomphunk

I've never heard of the hemp Force 12, is it reconed by somebody?

I'm trying not to use pedals that much, but when I walked into my local GC I got hit by serious GAS. In addition to the Swart AST they had there, they also had a Skreddy Little Miss Sunshine (Phase 90) and a Red Zendrive (Higher gain, GC version) I put the LMS on layaway immediately. It's an amazing phaser and the price was nice. I'm probably going to pickup the Zendrive too to try at home but idk if i'll hold onto it although it'd be nice for sit ins. They also had an Echorec in there for 170 but I didn't bite, cool pedal but I'd never use the sounds live.

I like my older zendrive for a little grit on the clean channel, or another gain boost. It's also going to be nice for when I use my mesa and want a more dumbley tone - although the Mesa is already close. I think my Carr is stuck on the "jazz" switch EQ of it's dumble side, so I'll be excited to check it out with that too when they're out of pedal jail - 3/8 ugh.

On the e609, it was remarkably similar to the SM57 so I returned it. Nice mic, but I was looking for something that would compliment the SM57 not copy it per se. YMMV of course, but I wasn't a big fan.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on February 08, 2015, 11:40:45 AM
Yes! I think it's a great speaker, great in both my Carr and Mesa. It's punchier, and is brighter than what I'm used to but it helps with the darker OD channels in the amp. I made some clips with my Carr and posted them over on TGP, but here they are here too:

I'm trying not to use pedals that much, but when I walked into my local GC I got hit by serious GAS. In addition to the Swart AST they had there, they also had a Skreddy Little Miss Sunshine (Phase 90) and a Red Zendrive (Higher gain, GC version) I put the LMS on layaway immediately. It's an amazing phaser and the price was nice. I'm probably going to pickup the Zendrive too to try at home but idk if i'll hold onto it although it'd be nice for sit ins. They also had an Echorec in there for 170 but I didn't bite, cool pedal but I'd never use the sounds live.

I like my older zendrive for a little grit on the clean channel, or another gain boost. It's also going to be nice for when I use my mesa and want a more dumbley tone - although the Mesa is already close. I think my Carr is stuck on the "jazz" switch EQ of it's dumble side, so I'll be excited to check it out with that too when they're out of pedal jail - 3/8 ugh.

On the e609, it was remarkably similar to the SM57 so I returned it. Nice mic, but I was looking for something that would compliment the SM57 not copy it per se. YMMV of course, but I wasn't a big fan.

Nice - I'll check out your clips soon!

The Force was reconed. I had an EVM12L that was reconed with hemp and I loved it because it tapered the top-end a bit and smoothed it out all together, but it was still too much bass. The Force has less bass (and its lighter), so I jumped on it when it popped up. The Steamboat is still blowing me away though.

Buffered

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 08, 2015, 03:56:20 PM

The Force was reconed. I had an EVM12L that was reconed with hemp and I loved it because it tapered the top-end a bit and smoothed it out all together, but it was still too much bass. The Force has less bass (and its lighter), so I jumped on it when it popped up. The Steamboat is still blowing me away though.

Yeah they're just some noodly things, but I like cathode bias on this amp so much now! The mids are extremely complex.

What do you think of the EV? Have you had a chance to gig with it?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on February 12, 2015, 03:11:43 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 08, 2015, 03:56:20 PM

Yeah they're just some noodly things, but I like cathode bias on this amp so much now! The mids are extremely complex.

What do you think of the EV? Have you had a chance to gig with it?

Your amp sounds good!

I like the EV a lot. Not as much mids as the Steamboat, so it doesn't cut through quite as much. I prefer the Steamboat with my pedals (TS9, comp, etc), but the Force really gives the classic Mesa Mark-series voice on the lead channel, which is really cool. Its nice having a lighter version thats a bit more mid-focused than an EVM12L. I think I might get another Front-Loaded, Open-Back 1x12 for the Force - I could see using it at home for a change-up of tone, and gigs when a) I don't want to bring my pedalboard and/or b) I don't have other musicians playing in my register (so cutting through won't be an issue).

Buffered

Thanks! I haven't had a chance to really try it out with the Mesa, but you can't really beat the V30 for recording - I dunno, still looking forward to experimenting with it.