I'm going to get you guys into Electronic music

Started by No Nice Guy, February 09, 2015, 11:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

Hey guys,

So I'm sure you guys have heard some of the stuff us kids listen to these days, with all the wubs and robot noises.  But, believe it or not (it took me a while to take it in), there's REALLY good stuff out there.  I'm gonna share some of my favourites with you guys (and I beg of you to look up other songs by at least one of them, you won't be dissapointed.  These guys are funky as hell.

1.  GRiZ

This guy is my favourite one out there right now.  He plays sax and produces the rest of his stuff, most of it is sampled from real musicians.  Here's my favourite song of his:

https://soundcloud.com/griz/too-young-for-tragedy-pt-ii

and here's a bonus new(ish) one that kicks ass:

https://soundcloud.com/griz/a-fine-way-to-die

2.  Gramatik

My 2nd favourite, he produces and heavily samples, he samples a lot of old stuff.  Here's my favourite of his songs, it's like an anthem to me and my friends (coincidentally, my high school aged sister and her friends used the exact same word):

https://soundcloud.com/gramatik/12-gramatik-expect-us-1

And here's a really good remix he did of a Beatles song:

https://soundcloud.com/gramatik/dont-let-me-down-remix

3.  Opiuo

He's based out of Australia, and unlike the other ones, he's a bit more exclusively electronic.  Here's my fav of his (it gets really good after a min or so):

https://soundcloud.com/shapeshifternz/monarch-by-shapeshifter-opiuo

4.  Polish Ambassador

I actually first heard him when I saw him open for STS9 in Vail last April.  He's a really awesome dude who makes awesome music, and uses his 'fame' (he's got a following but he's not huge) to help spread word about saving the environment and stuff.  Here's one of his songs with a rapper, though the lady singing the chorus works with him a lot, and she's got a beautiful voice:

https://soundcloud.com/thepolishambassador/let-the-rhythm-just-ft-mr-lif

And just because I love her voice in this song:

https://soundcloud.com/wildlight/live-inside-a-dream

If you listen to one (or all) of them, lemme know what you think.  I'm trying to get more people on the side that says all electronic music isn't a bass heavy mess of wubs and stuff.  I've been learning about producing music using the same software all these guys use (which I can't recommend enough btw) called Ableton Live.  It's made me 1000000x better at being a musician, and it has built in synths and audio effects.  When combined with a software like AmpliTube or Guitar Rig, it becomes a great solution for recording guitar as well.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

No Nice Guy

Quote from: No Nice Guy on February 09, 2015, 11:25:01 AM
Hey guys,

So I'm sure you guys have heard some of the stuff us kids listen to these days, with all the wubs and robot noises.  But, believe it or not (it took me a while to take it in), there's REALLY good stuff out there.  I'm gonna share some of my favourites with you guys (and I beg of you to look up other songs by at least one of them, you won't be dissapointed.  These guys are funky as hell.

1.  GRiZ

This guy is my favourite one out there right now.  He plays sax and produces the rest of his stuff, most of it is sampled from real musicians.  Here's my favourite song of his:

https://soundcloud.com/griz/too-young-for-tragedy-pt-ii

and here's a bonus new(ish) one that kicks ass:

https://soundcloud.com/griz/a-fine-way-to-die

2.  Gramatik

My 2nd favourite, he produces and heavily samples, he samples a lot of old stuff.  Here's my favourite of his songs, it's like an anthem to me and my friends (coincidentally, my high school aged sister and her friends used the exact same word):

https://soundcloud.com/gramatik/12-gramatik-expect-us-1

And here's a really good remix he did of a Beatles song:

https://soundcloud.com/gramatik/dont-let-me-down-remix

3.  Opiuo

He's based out of Australia, and unlike the other ones, he's a bit more exclusively electronic.  Here's my fav of his (it gets really good after a min or so):

https://soundcloud.com/shapeshifternz/monarch-by-shapeshifter-opiuo

4.  Polish Ambassador

I actually first heard him when I saw him open for STS9 in Vail last April.  He's a really awesome dude who makes awesome music, and uses his 'fame' (he's got a following but he's not huge) to help spread word about saving the environment and stuff.  Here's one of his songs with a rapper, though the lady singing the chorus works with him a lot, and she's got a beautiful voice:

https://soundcloud.com/thepolishambassador/let-the-rhythm-just-ft-mr-lif

And just because I love her voice in this song:

https://soundcloud.com/wildlight/live-inside-a-dream

If you listen to one (or all) of them, lemme know what you think.  I'm trying to get more people on the side that says all electronic music isn't a bass heavy mess of wubs and stuff.  I've been learning about producing music using the same software all these guys use (which I can't recommend enough btw) called Ableton Live.  It's made me 1000000x better at being a musician, and it has built in synths and audio effects.  When combined with a software like AmpliTube or Guitar Rig, it becomes a great solution for recording guitar as well.

Also wanted to add that the first two collaberate from time to time as GrizMatik, here's their best song (I heard this song so much at college, with great reason):

https://soundcloud.com/gramatik/grizmatik-dlimf

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

No Nice Guy

I wanted to bump this thread with my favorite jamband that isn't called Phish around right now, Papadosio (pronounced "pop a dose yo")

https://soundcloud.com/papadosio/papadosio-2014-10-11-irving (Give this one a minute or so)

https://soundcloud.com/papadosio/new-love-earth-night-2k13-12 (my personal favorite of any version of any of their songs)

https://soundcloud.com/papadosio/papadosio-2014-03-08-the-fox-1 (Long one, but oh my god I love it - really really spacey)

I've seen these guys 4 times this year alone, they're great musicians and great people.  I highly recommend searching a few of their other songs/sets.

Also if any of you actually listen to any of this stuff comment, I like knowing I made a difference in people's tastes.

Walker done done

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

No Nice Guy

Walker done done

Quote from: No Nice Guy on February 25, 2015, 09:33:41 PM
Quote from: Walker done done on February 23, 2015, 03:35:49 PM
No.

Well at least I tried.

LOL I wasn't being serious.  Except for the you getting me into electronic music part.  Not a fan.  But, good effort!  Wayne Gretzky once said "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" ;)
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Walker done done on February 26, 2015, 04:38:20 PM
Quote from: No Nice Guy on February 25, 2015, 09:33:41 PM
Quote from: Walker done done on February 23, 2015, 03:35:49 PM
No.

Well at least I tried.

LOL I wasn't being serious.  Except for the you getting me into electronic music part.  Not a fan.  But, good effort!  Wayne Gretzky once said "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" ;)

Yeah.  If nothing else at least check out the Papadosio guys, they're not very electronic and a lot more jammy.  Everyone I show them to loves them; my friends who love raves and stuff, my friends who love Phish/moe/WSP/Mule/etc love them, even my dad who listens to mostly reggae digs them.

Walker done done

Loop 3 Boomerang+

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Walker done done on February 27, 2015, 10:57:40 AM
I've heard Papdosio, they're good.

Yeah, I've seen them like four times (all were in one year...), they're a pretty sick live act.    You checked out any other modern jambands (Dopapod, Twiddle, Lotus, STS9, The Werks, etc)?  They're all great.  I especially like Twiddle, they're very similar to early-90's Phish.

Walker done done

Quote from: No Nice Guy on February 27, 2015, 12:11:28 PM

Yeah, I've seen them like four times (all were in one year...), they're a pretty sick live act.    You checked out any other modern jambands (Dopapod, Twiddle, Lotus, STS9, The Werks, etc)?  They're all great.  I especially like Twiddle, they're very similar to early-90's Phish.

Ok, let me preface this by saying I'm not here to bash any bands, but comparing Twiddle to early-90's Phish is a more than a bit of a stretch.  I think people are a little head over heads for them just because they want to latch on to what they think is the next big thing, when in reality they haven't done much of anything yet and still have a lot to prove, IMO.  I've seen them twice and am going again in April when they spin through Portland, and they're good musicians, but they are such a green band at this point and IMO unpolished in terms of developing their songs.  Do I think they're good?  Heck yeah.  Do I think they belong in the same conversation as Phish (which seems to be a result of them being in the jam scene I guess?)  Hell no.  Not even close.  I see people posting stuff about them and linking them to Phish and it makes me shake my head.  I think it makes me think of these younger 3.0 kids and like, is this "their" new band that they're growing up with?  I wonder if it's the same sort of feeling Deadheads had when Phish came along, HA!  Anyways, they're a much different band than Phish and write different types of songs.   I guess that's my opinion of them.  But not even in the same stratosphere as Phish when it comes to just about everything, including songwriting.  But yup I like them and I'll go see them when they come around.  Interested to see what they'll do over the next few years.  That will be very telling of who they are.

Seen The Werks, decent, not a favorite of mine and not someone I'd go out of my way to see I don't think.

Seen Dopapod.  Like 'em.  Haven't seen enough of them though. 

STS9 - I like these guys.  Try to catch them when they come to town.

Lotus - good but I can only take so much of that sound.

Lettuce - fucking love these guys.  Super good.  I threw that in because the name Lotus makes me think of Lettuce, and then I get excited.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Walker done done on February 27, 2015, 02:33:53 PM
Quote from: No Nice Guy on February 27, 2015, 12:11:28 PM

Ok, let me preface this by saying I'm not here to bash any bands, but comparing Twiddle to early-90's Phish is a more than a bit of a stretch.  I think people are a little head over heads for them just because they want to latch on to what they think is the next big thing, when in reality they haven't done much of anything yet and still have a lot to prove, IMO.  I've seen them twice and am going again in April when they spin through Portland, and they're good musicians, but they are such a green band at this point and IMO unpolished in terms of developing their songs.  Do I think they're good?  Heck yeah.  Do I think they belong in the same conversation as Phish (which seems to be a result of them being in the jam scene I guess?)  Hell no.  Not even close.  I see people posting stuff about them and linking them to Phish and it makes me shake my head.  I think it makes me think of these younger 3.0 kids and like, is this "their" new band that they're growing up with?  I wonder if it's the same sort of feeling Deadheads had when Phish came along, HA!  Anyways, they're a much different band than Phish and write different types of songs.   I guess that's my opinion of them.  But not even in the same stratosphere as Phish when it comes to just about everything, including songwriting.  But yup I like them and I'll go see them when they come around.  Interested to see what they'll do over the next few years.  That will be very telling of who they are.

Seen The Werks, decent, not a favorite of mine and not someone I'd go out of my way to see I don't think.

Seen Dopapod.  Like 'em.  Haven't seen enough of them though. 

STS9 - I like these guys.  Try to catch them when they come to town.

Lotus - good but I can only take so much of that sound.

Lettuce - fucking love these guys.  Super good.  I threw that in because the name Lotus makes me think of Lettuce, and then I get excited.

I forgot to mention Lettuce!  They're pretty amazing. 

Yeah, I agree that musically speaking Twiddle and Phish are far from each other.  I really mean that Twiddle has an energy which makes me think of a younger Phish.  I'm only a college student now, didn't see Phish until 2012 so I'm a 3.0 newb, but Twiddle has a lot of similarities to early-90's Phish - they're from Burlington, have a very unique vibe, have a very devoted fanbase, their songs are full of odd lyrics and titles, their setlists are covered with song sandwhiches, segues, teases, covers, and much more.  They're a 4 piece band in which the guitarist doesn't use a 'mainstream' guitar.  They have a lot of similarities, but Phish is and was definitely a lot more talented.