Llama Isolated

Started by Jkendrick, March 03, 2015, 05:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkendrick

I was inspired by the recent heroic Arizona Llamas to study some of what Trey does in Llama. While I'm not focused on the studio version very much, I did come across these videos (there are tracks for drums, bass, keys, and vocals as well). I assume this was done from the Rock Band version, so I doubt there are other tunes out there. Still cool to listen closely to what each band member is doing.

http://youtu.be/TSs36CWklFE
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Jkendrick

Question for those of you with deeper theory knowledge than me, would the riff from about 2:02-2:06 be considered a tritone riff?it seems to chromatically walk up to the V, then chromatically walk up the root, then the root an octave lower and resolve to the flat V. That's the tritone right? Am I hearing that correctly and if so am I interpreting the theory correctly?
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Lephty

Yep JK I think you're spot-on about that lick...the tritone is a good go-to note if you're looking to take it somewhere on the darker/weirder side.

Something that kind of struck me when I heard this track is that the F chord toward the end of the progression sounds like a maj7 (at about :28). Wouldn't have expected to see a maj7 chord in Llama.

Jkendrick

Re:
I got Em7/A9/Em7/F#m7/FMaj7/Em7. Is that what you got? I ran through it quickly today actually.  I was only able to spend about 45 minutes on it so this is rough, but no overdubs. I'd like to spend some time learning the rhythm Trey is doing during Page's solo. That's the most interesting part to me.

https://soundcloud.com/jim-kendrick/llama

P.S. I totally copped that tritone lick.