Tell me about Fender Deluxe Reverb

Started by fluffytone72, April 06, 2015, 10:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeeker

Quote from: fluffytone72 on April 06, 2015, 10:05:05 PM
I'm looking for smooth/fusiony overdrive tones with the aid of a couple pedals.  I want a 1x12 for it's weight, and it needs to be loud enough to compete on stage and still clean up decent on the volume knob.  I doubt I'll need to go past 4 or 5 on volume ever these days when your being mic'd even at small clubs.

I've heard a good silverface deluxe reverb or a deluxe reverb reissue with a speaker change will get me there.  Thoughts?

I've got one for sale if interested...brand new! Trying to acquire a Hiwatt for my Floyd project.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

fluffytone72

I play a strat with humbucker in bridge (and I'm on that humbucker all night).  I set my tone by stacking two overdrives and diming my guitar volume.   Volume on 10 is soaring lead, volume 6 or below is cleanish rhythm.  I should clarify when I say clean I dont mean country clean, I mean like touch responsive clean where you can strum lightly and it sounds like a gritty clean sound which is great for funk playing.  Pretty much all my rhythm playing is like partial chord chunky funky sounding stuff which sounds better if it's got just a little hair on it.  So I'm fine just not going past 4 on volume, having a slightly hairy clean tone, and mic'ing if I need more volume.

I used to play a maz 18, and it was plenty loud for all my gigs.  I mean I played a couple outdoor festivals with it and still used an attenuator.  So you people who say the deluxe isn't loud enough are you playing jazz or country with this amp?  Because I just don't see how that could be.  I just want an amp where I can play at the sweet spot pretty much anytime I'm playing in a band setting.  Having 40+ watts of clean headroom no longer interests me because I can never turn those amps loud enough to get crunchy, and I don't need a perfectly clean tone ever unless I'm playing jazz in which case I'm at a small intimate venue in which case volume is no issue.

fluffytone72

Ok, so I'm definitely getting a deluxe reverb.  There is 2 I'm looking at:

1.  1977 silverface that appears to be in decent condition, looks like I could snag it for $1200 maybe less.

2.  An alessandro fender deluxe reverb.  Apparently it's handwired point to point by allesandro and is an exact replica of 65 blackface.  $1350

Thoughts on which one I should go with???  If I got the silverface I'd probably upgrade the speaker+new tubes+blackface mod which would end up being more expensive than the alessandro which is already blackfaced and has a custom speaker and good tubes.

Thanks for the help guys!  I appreciate the insight!

fluffytone72

Ok, this is just to funny/maddening to not share.

So the 1977 silverface I'm looking at is on ebay now.  I asked the seller when the last time it was serviced and how old the tubes were (a very logical question when buying a 40 year old amp!).  Here's his response:

I have not had it serviced since I have owned it many years and I won't as it's not broke! It works and sounds great. I am not messing with it period. It's Vintage so unless it needs a repair not going to happen.

My thought was ok....so it may need to be serviced before I gig with it, maybe not, maybe it's just a really good amp that won't need to be recapped or anything.  However, the tubes are a different story.  If the tubes are 10 years old, I will need to change them and re bias before I gig.  Still, that's fine I don't mind doing that, I just want to know before I buy the amp so I can pre order tubes.  Since he didn't answer that part of the question, I replied and asked if he would look and see what brand the tubes were at least since there is no picture.  Here's his response:

Really! The amp works and sounds great! I have blocked you from bidding! Good luck!

How do I proceed?  I mean I really do want to buy the amp, but I fucking hate this guy now.  I mean what a dumbass for getting butt hurt about a few simple questions.  Excuse me for asking about the tubes of a guitar amp before I drop over a thousand bucks on it.  If he's that brain dead, I'm thinking he won't even know how to ship properly.

I might call and ebay and explain the situation, see what they say.

Hoody

I agree 100% with your post about not needing to go above 4 on the dial.  I too like just a little bit of pick responsive grit.  And I can't imagine needing more volume unless i were playing jazz to a much larger audience than i anticipate ever having. 

Where are you located?  I'd probably get the silverface, but not from that guy.  In the past I've bought vintage amps from guitar center, or local dealers, then had them checked out by my amp guy.  He can then tell you how things really look.  With any older DR, you may want to consider a cap job, new speaker, new tubes, bias, and I'd certainly recommend pulling the bright cap and the thing on the reverb that makes it brighter (can't remember what that's called now).

I don't know anything about the modern replicas of the DR.  Some say they're great, some don't. 

Buffered

Alessandro amps are fantastic, I would trust he knows a lot about old Fenders and what makes them great. Additionally, I don't think it would need a cap job since it sounds newer. The BFDR is essentially the endgame, I would skip over the Silverface especially since the seller sucks. Good thing you didn't bid on it and found that out after you bought it from him!
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

express50express

Quote from: fluffytone72 on April 18, 2015, 11:55:44 PM
Ok, this is just to funny/maddening to not share.

So the 1977 silverface I'm looking at is on ebay now.  I asked the seller when the last time it was serviced and how old the tubes were (a very logical question when buying a 40 year old amp!).  Here's his response:

I have not had it serviced since I have owned it many years and I won't as it's not broke! It works and sounds great. I am not messing with it period. It's Vintage so unless it needs a repair not going to happen.

My thought was ok....so it may need to be serviced before I gig with it, maybe not, maybe it's just a really good amp that won't need to be recapped or anything.  However, the tubes are a different story.  If the tubes are 10 years old, I will need to change them and re bias before I gig.  Still, that's fine I don't mind doing that, I just want to know before I buy the amp so I can pre order tubes.  Since he didn't answer that part of the question, I replied and asked if he would look and see what brand the tubes were at least since there is no picture.  Here's his response:

Really! The amp works and sounds great! I have blocked you from bidding! Good luck!

How do I proceed?  I mean I really do want to buy the amp, but I fucking hate this guy now.  I mean what a dumbass for getting butt hurt about a few simple questions.  Excuse me for asking about the tubes of a guitar amp before I drop over a thousand bucks on it.  If he's that brain dead, I'm thinking he won't even know how to ship properly.

I might call and ebay and explain the situation, see what they say.

I used to be heavily into buying and selling vintage Rolex watches. I know, strange expensive fetish/hobby. The advice someone once gave me, applies with music equipment, or anything for that matter - "buy the seller, not the watch". If follow this advice your chances of getting what you want are much better. Also, take your time, do your research, and don't be afraid to ask a seller anything.