Fryette Power Station

Started by Buffered, May 03, 2015, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

http://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

Hi everyone,

I live in a one bedroom apartment, and volume management is always a big factor when playing since my neighbors are right upstairs and across the street. I've researched a few different options ie iRig, playing through garageband, and even a POD for a bit. I'm finding that I really prefer the sound of my tube amps, but getting them to their sweet spot is a little tough after 7pm most nights.

Most attenuators that I've heard and tried like a THD hot plate mended to compress my amp's tone the more I attenuated it. Hearing both resistive and reactive attenuators made me lean towards the reactive, but still not enough to shell out the large sums for something like an Alex or a Faustine product. I heard a bit about this Fryette Power Station, essentially a 50W tube power amp with the ability to reamp and attenuate your load amps. The reviews I've read are really favorable to the transparency, and the videos on the site are pretty impressive. My amp with the highest wattage is 40W, so the Fryette would handle that fine. Both my amps have good masters, but even then it's too low sometimes. 

Have any of you heard this product or tried it out? I know there's nothing like the full interaction with the cabinet and speaker, but I think I should explore this option more for managing volume. Another cool thing is you could run say a tube preamp pedal through it for a lightweight pre/poweramp setup - or an AxeFx or iRig from your cell phone although it may sound very hi-fi. I think W/D setups are possible too, and with the effects loop it's pretty versatile. I like the options, but I'm not 100% I'd use it on a gig or something.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on May 03, 2015, 11:03:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I live in a one bedroom apartment, and volume management is always a big factor when playing since my neighbors are right upstairs and across the street. I've researched a few different options ie iRig, playing through garageband, and even a POD for a bit. I'm finding that I really prefer the sound of my tube amps, but getting them to their sweet spot is a little tough after 7pm most nights.

Most attenuators that I've heard and tried like a THD hot plate mended to compress my amp's tone the more I attenuated it. Hearing both resistive and reactive attenuators made me lean towards the reactive, but still not enough to shell out the large sums for something like an Alex or a Faustine product. I heard a bit about this Fryette Power Station, essentially a 50W tube power amp with the ability to reamp and attenuate your load amps. The reviews I've read are really favorable to the transparency, and the videos on the site are pretty impressive. My amp with the highest wattage is 40W, so the Fryette would handle that fine. Both my amps have good masters, but even then it's too low sometimes. 

Have any of you heard this product or tried it out? I know there's nothing like the full interaction with the cabinet and speaker, but I think I should explore this option more for managing volume. Another cool thing is you could run say a tube preamp pedal through it for a lightweight pre/poweramp setup - or an AxeFx or iRig from your cell phone although it may sound very hi-fi. I think W/D setups are possible too, and with the effects loop it's pretty versatile. I like the options, but I'm not 100% I'd use it on a gig or something.

Never used the Fryette but been very happy with the Unleash.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on May 03, 2015, 02:43:46 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the reply. Are you primarily boosting your DR with it or do you ever use it to attenuate to say, TV volume or so?

Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on May 04, 2015, 05:21:13 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on May 03, 2015, 02:43:46 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the reply. Are you primarily boosting your DR with it or do you ever use it to attenuate to say, TV volume or so?

Both, but primarily boosting. However, living in our 3rd floor apartment (for the next couple months), I attenuate that amp any time I'm playing at home.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9