Just a little video clip

Started by Heady Jam Fan, May 16, 2015, 03:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

I like it! Very SOAM'ey/Gumbo
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

webephishin

Sweet tone man!  What kind of PUPs you do you got in there?
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on May 17, 2015, 11:25:59 AM
I like it! Very SOAM'ey/Gumbo

Thanks! We were kinda thinking of the hard-bop / funk genre - the drummer's dad is a great jazz guitarist, so we are trying to incorporate more of that. But when it came to my solo, I felt more fusion than anything ;)

We played alright at this show - that particular stage is always muddy sounding, so it hard to hear the rest of the band. Hopefully we will have a better recording of the next show. This is one from a couple months ago:

https://soundcloud.com/houdinispsychictheatre/sets/live-at-the-rex-42015
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: webephishin on May 17, 2015, 10:34:39 PM

Thanks! Those are SD59's - love 'em! I can post my settings a bit later too.

This was just recorded on an iPhone too!

webephishin

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on May 18, 2015, 08:10:23 AM

Very cool...I'm leaning heavily towards putting some SD59's in my Schecter semi-hollow...I'm ok with my tone right now with the stock duncan designed PUPs, but I feel like it would sound significantly better with the real deal SD's.  How long have you been playing with them?  What do you like/dislike?
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: webephishin on May 18, 2015, 10:22:05 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on May 18, 2015, 08:10:23 AM

Very cool...I'm leaning heavily towards putting some SD59's in my Schecter semi-hollow...I'm ok with my tone right now with the stock duncan designed PUPs, but I feel like it would sound significantly better with the real deal SD's.  How long have you been playing with them?  What do you like/dislike?

I really like the 59's! The standard pickups in PHRED guitars get a pretty good rep, but when I was chatting with Freddy Rose (of PHRED Instruments), he said they could pop in some 59's and I could do a more accurate comparison to my Artinger. You can see my review of the PHRED in my NGD post (in the guitars section) - I've grown to like the PHRED even more over time. In fact, the other guitarist (who also sings) in my band was thinking about getting one - his dad (who also plays guitar and sings in a popular cover band) is talking to Freddy about getting one with a piezo pickup installed (kinda like a PRS).

I've had SD 59's in other guitars too and I really like them. They were originally a clone of the Schaller Golden 50's (IIRC) and I think they really nailed it: the 59's and Golden 50's sound very similar to me (many years ago, I swapped between the two types of pickups in one guitar). I had to SD59's in my Artinger and actually switch to Lollar Imperial's because I felt the bridge pickup sounded thin compared to the neck, and the single coil setting never sounded right when I switched from the humbucker setting (maybe too thin and quiet). I thought the Lollars were tonally similar to the 59's / Golden 50's, but were more balanced from neck to bridge, and from humbucker to single. However, of course that comes at a cost ($). Yet, in the PHRED, I don't notice that imbalance from neck to bridge - I switch back and forth fairly regularly (though I spend most time on the neck pickup). I think the single coil setting sounds good too, though I lean toward humbuckers. Humbuckers have their warmth in midrange, while single-coils get more warmth from bass (to my ear), so when I switch to single-coils, sometimes I turn the bass knob on my Mesa down from 2 to 0, but I pull the knob out for a deeper, punchier bass (ideal for single coils). Maybe the fretscale on the PHRED (25.5") is more ideal for the SD59's, while the Lollars were an improvement in the Artinger (25" fretscale).

I don't know how the Schecter pickups compare to the SD59's, but I definitely would recommend the 59's to anyone with a Trey-inspired rig. Having the right output from the pickups is a big thing regarding how the TS9's will respond, so a classic (relatively low output) PAF-style humbucker is ideal IMO.

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan