Best ways to record your guitar/bass into your computer

Started by No Nice Guy, June 12, 2015, 01:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on July 01, 2015, 09:05:50 AM
Quote from: No Nice Guy on June 30, 2015, 12:52:45 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 20, 2015, 08:16:18 AM
I tried a handful of compressors over the last few days and I really liked this compressor/limiter:

https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/

I don't know how it compares to some of the ones you gotta pay for, but its free, flexible and pretty transparent.

I've used it a few times now, it works pretty well for mixing, I would definitely never use this for mastering.  If you wanna waste time on mixing, put this on each of your tracks and make them sound nice with each other.

I'm interested in your opinion regarding what didn't you like about it for mastering? What do you mean by waste time on mixing - gotta mix before you master, right?

I found when I used it for mastering, I could get a nice loudness and punchiness, but it doesn't "glue" the tracks together the way some other compressors do (making the entire song sound cohesive). I'm not sure why that is though.

I wouldn't use it for mastering because I have many compressors/limiters which are specially made for mastering :P.  Mainly in the way they effect different bands/colour the track.

I meant waste time on mixing as in practice mixing, not at all saying mixing is a waste of time.

Figure out why it is, I'm not sure why.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr