Trey and GD50 Gear

Started by tsbot, June 24, 2015, 06:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsbot

Pretty cool article to read about his practice habits for GD and Phish.  He's got some gear changes - wonder what he's going to use for the GD shows. I know he had Paul put the single coil back in his early 'Doc.  He mentions speakers and effects that are new to him.  Maybe a Mu-Tron and auto wah?  Looking forward to the shows!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/trey-anastasio-on-phishs-bond-his-man-cave-and-the-deads-big-gigs-20150624

Walker done done

Hopefully he went with the Emma!  A friend of mine bought a MuTron that was in really good shape and I'll be honest, it sounded like shit and was hard to dial in.  I'm sure with more time it would be easier to find a sweet spot, but I was surprised at how tough it was and uninspired by the sound.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Buffered

Quote from: Walker done done on June 24, 2015, 07:09:05 PM
Hopefully he went with the Emma!  A friend of mine bought a MuTron that was in really good shape and I'll be honest, it sounded like shit and was hard to dial in.  I'm sure with more time it would be easier to find a sweet spot, but I was surprised at how tough it was and uninspired by the sound.

+1 on the Emma for Jer tones. I've tried a lot of different boutique filters and the Emma and 3Leaf Wonderlove are my favorites. Proton was sterile, though.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Deadicated Phan

You guys see the pics on the GD50 Facebook page??? Someone post the rig pics!!! He's got almost all his Docs with him (first one refinished, maple top my favorite, and the first 2 koas) No Ocedoc, don't mind that though...
His rig changes: 3 CAE switchers in the rack instead of 1 + a new effects unit? Also his top cabinet (unmic'd) does't have V30s, you can see the larger dust caps. AND he's back on the MarkIII

Discuss....
RMC 3>Whammy 4>AM ts-9 Brown>Maxon OD808>GCX--Mutron 3+>Boss Octave>DOD 250+>Phase 100>DM2000>Microverb 1>Boomerang+

Guitar: PRS Hollowbody II, Fender American Strat w/ Custom Shop Fat 50s
Amp: 1965 Fender Deluxe Amp, 1972 Blackfaced Twin Reverb
Cabs: Deluxe w/ Celestial Gold, Twin w/ stock speakers, Marshall 4x12 w/ Emi. Red, White, and Blues, Hard Truckers JG-1 w/ JBL K120 (looking for another speaker to go with it)

Down_With_Sco

Working on updating the document right now.... will prob take through next weekend to solidify details.

Off the bat, I've noticed:

no Black Cat Vibe anymore only the vintage Shin-Ei still sitting atop the rack next to a Tru Tron and Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere
where the Rack BCV and Super Tremolo were is now either a delay or reverb.
two different 2x12 cabinets (bottom one being miked with at least 2 mics)

Maple/Paduak #1 as main guitar
Spruce/Maple #2 now also has a single coil in the middle position..... anyone know the brand yet??!?!!?
Koa #1 and Koa #2 are there as secondaries.

No green maple or ocedoc present

Mickey has a theremin why? LOL
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Poster

ha nobody noticed all the buckers are reversed in position. also hes using new Tone Tubby speakers. I know because I got some of the same batch for my Hard Truckers Cabinet. No compressor. Rang has a wampler boost / buffer with it in the loop.

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: Poster on June 29, 2015, 03:04:03 PM
ha nobody noticed all the buckers are reversed in position. also hes using new Tone Tubby speakers.

wow that's odd.. didnt notice until u mentioned it

which speaker is trey using, the Weber Silver Bells?
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Poster

Tone Tubby Purple Haze. Bright but smooth. I dig um.

Heady Jam Fan

Are all the speakers Tone Tubby Purple Haze? Any pics confirming that? I see the pics on the GD50 site and all I can tell is the cone is lighter in color, like a hemp cone, and the dust cap is a moderate size (not small like a V30 and not huge like an EVM12L).

I've been using Steamboat Hemp 100 speakers, which are old Celestion G12-80's with a Tone Tubby hemp cone. They also sport the somewhat larger dust cap. They sound really nice - much more clear and articulate on the top end than a lot of hemp cones: smooths out the treble rather than just being dark. However, I find myself adjusting my GEQ just a tiny bit: adding some upper mids to get back the bite of a V30, and turning down the low mids because hemps speakers can be just a bit too fat and meaty.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Poster

Straight from Thom at TT and Red himself at GD50 SC.

Buffered

Quote from: Poster on June 29, 2015, 10:40:16 PM
Straight from Thom at TT and Red himself at GD50 SC.

If you say so!
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

No Nice Guy

No compressor.

Could swear I saw the Ross up by the TS9s
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: No Nice Guy on June 30, 2015, 12:51:41 PM
No compressor.

Could swear I saw the Ross up by the TS9s

That's the Tru tron... also a H&K Rotosphere

seriesnuns

ha nobody noticed all the buckers are reversed in position. also hes using new Tone Tubby speakers. I know because I got some of the same batch for my Hard Truckers Cabinet. No compressor. Rang has a wampler boost / buffer with it in the loop.

I noticed that too. So he had all his guitars rewired.

I'm also wondering how he's doing the switching with a middle pickup.

I just listed to a few songs from SC and he is getting some good tone.

I will verify more of his tone this weekend in Chicago hopefully durring a shakedown or fire on the mountain!

raisingfreen

Just FYI, In looking at the pedal board Trey had on top of of his rack... Initially I think the consensus was he had a "Hughes & Kettner Tube Rotosphere" when in actuality it is a "Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor" if you look close or look at the actual products online in pics the Rotosphere has three foot switches and the Tube Factor has two. The one on his each has only two switches. In any case just an observation. That plus I heard no leslie style sound slow or fast within any of the shows. The Univibe seemed to be used however. Wonder why the addition of this as well as the dual TS9s per usual?
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux