Main Menu

treys ross

Started by wolfmansfather, July 23, 2015, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfmansfather

this could be a stupid question.... but did trey drop his comp this summer?

Mister Buddy

I'm pretty certain that I'm hearing it, but I'll leave it to more expert ears and eyes to confirm.

jadirusso

I was thinking he doesn't seem to have it this tour, but can't confirm. Anyone find any concrete evidence either way?
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

Down_With_Sco

I think it's still on the floor, but have yet to see a photo showing it present.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Hoody

I checked the Facebook photos.  Looks like its not there.  It's not up by ts9's at least for dead shows and looks like same set up.  Wouldn't be on floor. 

Which makes me wonder how he changed boogie settings. 

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: Hoody on July 23, 2015, 02:48:27 PM
I checked the Facebook photos.  Looks like its not there.  It's not up by ts9's at least for dead shows and looks like same set up.  Wouldn't be on floor. 

Which makes me wonder how he changed boogie settings. 

Trey's Phish setup is slightly differed from the GD50 shows. The Tru-Tron is now on the floor where it was ontop the rack at GD50. Trey also has the Alesis Microverb up there now since it was taken out of the rack for GD50.

And Trey went back to the two 2x12 Languedoc setup from whatever 2x12 and 1x12 he had for GD50. I only thing I still don't know if he changed speakers back from the tone tubby purple haze speakers.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Mister Buddy

Well, whether he's using the Ross or not -- and I really thought I was hearing it -- his tones this week in Bend were gorgeous. I think this is the best he's sounded since about '98, although I'll be the first to concede that this is very personal preference.

tsbot

Can you recommend a song that it's clear he is using his comp and a song that he is not using it.  Love to really hear the difference, it's hard for me to tell.

Yes his tones this tour are awesome, reminiscent of late 90's in my opinion.

wolfmansfather

i think that divided sky or its ice shows pretty well that hes using a comp, but i guess a song that he isnt would be ghost. but hes always had it so idk

Happyorange27

I digress. Whether he is playing a comp or not, I will tell you this;  the more you evolve as a Trey type player, the more you may find yourself using less and less of the compression ratio and can almost lift off of using the comp all together. I say almost. I've gradually bumped the comp knob down so that I am at the minimum setting, yet getting all the sustain I need because I know where to position my guitar relative to my speaker at any given moment. This can take hours of feeling out this zone but it becomes the happy bubble. Anyway I only share this because I have been floating in the sound sphere of my new custom made tube amp which elevated my entire audio pleasure. 
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: Happyorange27 on July 26, 2015, 07:42:02 PM
I digress. Whether he is playing a comp or not, I will tell you this;  the more you evolve as a Trey type player, the more you may find yourself using less and less of the compression ratio and can almost lift off of using the comp all together. I say almost. I've gradually bumped the comp knob down so that I am at the minimum setting, yet getting all the sustain I need because I know where to position my guitar relative to my speaker at any given moment. This can take hours of feeling out this zone but it becomes the happy bubble. Anyway I only share this because I have been floating in the sound sphere of my new custom made tube amp which elevated my entire audio pleasure. 

I can agree with this. I already have my compRosser at minimum sensitivity.

picture_of_nectar

I dunno why but I like my Sustain at 10 o'clock and my level between 12-1 o'clock.

Seems to be the sweet spot.

Personally I just like my tone better with the Ross on. Maybe because my ear had become so accustomed to it.

BTW, looks like some be pickups in Koa #1, or maybe the ones from Ole Reliable? Dunno. But he's getting some sweet crunchy mid range-y tones outa that rig.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Brian27

I am assuming that when you run the sustain low on your compressor you have the levels of your overdrive pedals cranked right?

Heady Jam Fan

Yeah, I keep my sustain around 9 o'clock. I tried it higher (around 12 o'clock) again recently and didn't dig that much sustain - too squashed.

I turn up the level on my TS's as high as I can without excess noise. If I'm getting a lot of noise at a certain venue, I turn the volume down just a bit and it can make a big difference. But sometimes - in places with poor power or lots of noise-inducing lights and electronics - I turn the level down to 3 o'clock.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Hoody

I've never been able to figure out the ts9 with volume cranked into Ross.  No matter what I get a huge volume jump.  I've taken treys exact settings on the ts9 and Ross and boogie and the volume jump is pretty high.  You can't play it unless you turn guitar volume way down.

Does anyone not have that experience?  There is just no way to keep overall volume somewhat even with those settings.  I don't mind because I like the tone with volume rolled back on guitar.  To me it's the best sound with that set up.  And I've turned ts9s down and think it sounds better.

Curious about others experiences