Main Menu

treys ross

Started by wolfmansfather, July 23, 2015, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian27

I like my compressor level, and the level of my overdrive pedals to be at unity gain with my amp volume. There is none of that jump in volume happening here at all. I stay away from single channel amps. I stay away from amps without a master volume. A 2 channel amp with master volume is the only way i go with amps. I set my dirty channel volume to the loudest i can stand when the drive is set where i want it. Then i set up my clean channels volume so that there is no jump or loss of volume at all when i change channels. The master volume of my amp is cranked. 

picture_of_nectar

Yup same here. Unless the Level on the Ross is set way low I will get a volume jump with the TS9 up past unity. I just set the TS9 at the unity level and call it good.

I feel like there must be another way Treys levels are kept even. Perhaps in his rack or through the PA at the soundboard.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Down_With_Sco

Well the Ross is not on the floor, maybe it's hiding under the Microverb on the rack?
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

dontpanic

Definitely not hearing the ross in his tone. Getting some hints of '02/'03 tone for sure. Love that tone. Also, really surprised he kept the Dead effects. Definitely thought the majority of them would not stay.

Really digging the super-fuzzy-layered-octave sound.  Anybody got an idea of what's going on there? Heard it a few times on tour. Sounds like he could potentially have the whammy octave down as well as the boss... I don't know, I play neither of these pedals. The drive sounds really heavy though. Isn't there a new drive pedal on the board too? H&K? This may go back to the unknown channel switching on the mesa... Good sound though.

I would also like to say that the volume jump has been a problem for me as well. I always want the volume maxed on my drives because I think it sounds best, but the volume jump is inevitable. If I turn down the ross to compensate, and like most of you leave it on all the time, my clean is too low. What to do? Finally just decided to turn the freaking things down a bit. Really wish my mesa (50 cal +) had a more versatile two-channel setup (one master volume per channel, but standard volume acts as gain for both.

Hoody

So how's trey do it?  How's he kick on the ts9 with no volume jump?  Even if you have the Ross on lower volume you get the jump if you have them max volume.  And now he doesn't even have it in the rig.  Yet no volume jump.  Or very slight.

Also - what's in the 4th rack space down, below the ibanez delay?

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: Hoody on July 28, 2015, 08:09:14 PM
Also - what's in the 4th rack space down, below the ibanez delay?

TC Electronic D-Two
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Hoody on July 27, 2015, 07:41:19 PM
I've never been able to figure out the ts9 with volume cranked into Ross.  No matter what I get a huge volume jump.  I've taken treys exact settings on the ts9 and Ross and boogie and the volume jump is pretty high.  You can't play it unless you turn guitar volume way down.

Does anyone not have that experience?  There is just no way to keep overall volume somewhat even with those settings.  I don't mind because I like the tone with volume rolled back on guitar.  To me it's the best sound with that set up.  And I've turned ts9s down and think it sounds better.

Curious about others experiences

Hmm, I always felt it sounds better with the TS volume cranked. I don't get big volume changes, but you could crank the volume on the lower-gain TS and leave the volume at 9 o'clock on the higher gain TS. I don't get huge volume changes usually... The biggest volume change, in the context of playing in a band and cutting through, was between using my guitar volume knob to get a clean tone and turning my guitar volume back up for a dirty tone. I always felt like my clean tone fell into the background a bit and I was always adjusting the treble on my amp: bright enough for my clean was too bright for my overdriven tone. So I got a TS5 and modified it to be cleaner, louder and brighter. So I still have the TS voicing on my clean tone.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9