Main Menu

My Trey-ish Rig

Started by afountas, August 13, 2015, 11:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsbot

That is a sweet looking guitar!  I agree that he seems to be improving over time.  His FB page said he is 2 years out and maybe taking time off.  I know of a handful of folks on TGP that have been waiting 2 years since they gave him cash and he showed the first pictures of their builds, not sure what is going on there, but they're not too happy - but hoping for a good outcome.  The pics they provided seem like sweet guitars.   I think he got in over his head when he kept saying "yes" to everyone's request, I'd imagine its hard to turn down 4-5K every time someone emails him, whereas Paul L keeps his list the way it is and doesn't even reply to folks.  David seems to have picked up where Paul left off and I'd also assume a lot more folks go Davids route due to price.   But that is all a bunch of assuming  ;D

This is his pricing he sent me in 2013

Base Price Standard: $5200.00

Upgrades:
Maple neck: $300
Wood Binding: $250
Headstock logo in abalone $100

afountas

The only issue I have with my equator is the 3 toggle switch angle,  It cant be turned to the up and down position are at the proper angle because the hole was routed slight to close to the side of the guitar. 

Quote from: seriesnuns on August 14, 2015, 04:15:22 PM
I'm currently the owner of 2 Equator's. I've decided I only want to play hollowbody guitar's after getting into my first one and loving the way it reacts.

I think his work is getting better as he builds more guitars. Although I heard he's may be taking time off / throwing in the towel. He probably knows 2 years lead time is out of hand.

I think Equator's are fine guitars for what they are. Hand made guitars made by one man. If you look close enough you can find flaws. I've never inspected a languedoc so I can't speak for them.

This is my standard.

The only flaws I can find on this one is on the back of the neck joint there is some coloring issue. This also has a chunkier neck than my other mini.

The only issue with the equators is I have to clean the necks every other session or session. The finish gets sticky if I don't.

Both of these were purchased used at less than half what they go for new. Keep your eye open and haggle when you see one come for sale is what I say.
Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

Buffered

Kevin Chubbuck is the man. I'm about an hour from his place.. if you ever need a babysitter!
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

afountas

Made some changes:

- Replaced TS9's with Maxon OD9 silvers (off all the gear I have, these things have been the most significant factor in trying to emulate Trey's tone)
- Replaced Shitty Ross Clone with Analogman BiComp (you get a perfectly clean tone, unaltered with this pedal compared to most comps I've tried, where there is noticable signal degradation and audible and unwanted overdriven tones)

- just moved some of the stuff around.

Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope