Moved some gear around, here's the new rig!

Started by Buffered, September 29, 2015, 11:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Hey everyone,

I hope you all had a great summer, and made it to some shows!  I started playing lead guitar in an original jammy band around Boston, and decided to upgrade my rig a lot and wanted to share the changes with you guys.

What went out

Carr Slant 6v - Great amp. A little on the pricey side for me, and I found that I was always worried about it when I gigged it this summer so I moved on. The OD side was modded to a Dumble style drive, and it was almost too smooth!

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+ - Really nice OD w/ the Burn set low, almost a little too bassy though with my guitars. Also, the cleans weren't robust enough or big sounding which is what I prefer and I think from this experience, I'm going to stick with 6*6 style amps from now on!

Skreddy Little Miss Sunshine - Phase pedals are sweet for sure. I used this happily all summer with the band, but after extensive ABing I found that it colors the mids (maybe to make it more chewy sounding?) and I preferred the transparency of the other pedal. Not bad by any stretch (in fact the best phase I've tried) Do all phase pedals color the mids?

What came in

Fulltone MDV3 - I've been wanting to check out one of these since they came out, really liked the big gold version I tried and I guess this is almost identical in circuitry. I like the on/off, but it seems a little gimmicky, however the switch is not awkward at all to use. The sweep is a little fast towards the toe region, but it's really chewy sounding and fun to play chords or lead with. I haven't played it with the band a lot yet, but I like the way my original tone is more preserved.

Analogman TS9 Silver - You guys know all about these, and they're the real deal. It plays so nicely with my amp's clean and OD channels it's essential. I have a Rockett Blue Note for when I play single channel amps, but the Silver is better for the two channel setup (less knobs helps too lol)

Wampler Ego - This is a Ross clone, but with a blend control. Playing live, it's just so helpful having a little something to reduce any spikes in dynamics without totally squashing my sound. I've had these before, and I got rid of them for one reason or another but this one is a keeper. Love the top jacks too.

PRS DGT - A Berklee kid was getting rid of this and needed cash reaally bad so I lucked out big time. I was saving for my bday so it worked out perfect! It reminds me of Duane Allman's goldtop, and fits the music really well. The coil taps work better than a few other guitars I've tried, and almost sounds tele-like. Perfect for when we cover Band tunes! Really like the neck also, and it's the first PRS I've seen that doesn't have a crazy top, those just don't appeal to me.

Mesa Boogie 5:50+ 1x12 - I played this at my local store, and bonded with it right away. Big cleans like my Carr, but with the same OD side as the 5:25+ (same preamps, different power amp section) but also with different power ratings for when I'm at home recording or playing with the band. The tones were less woolly-sounding too than my 5:25+, which can probably be attributed to the power tubes. A little heavier, but that's ok.

Here are some pics:

MDV3 - 3leaf Wonderlove (meatball clone w/ Mutron III options) - Turbo Tuner - TS9 - Ego - TC Nova Repeater in FX loop

Thanks for reading!

Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Regarding the Phaser... you said "the other pedal." Do you mean the Fulltone MDV? Either way, I think almost all phase-based modulation pedals alter the tone. I guess that's kind of part of the definition of being out of phase - there is some phase cancellation, right? I don't know, but that's also been my experience and I generally also search for modulation pedals that don't hugely impact tone. I loved my Fulltone MDV2, but actually one of the reasons I sold it was because it affected the tone. IIRC, one of the changes Fulltone made from the original vibe circuit was to retain more treble that would otherwise be lost, but I found myself trying to decrease the treble in the MDV2. I also wanted a smaller, simpler pedal and I tend to have a thing for vintage gear, so I tried a handful of MXR Phasers. Out of the vintage ones, each sounded different, but the one I kept was the most transparent and with the least noise (which was the first-run Phase 90, which was also the least metallic sounding). I prefer the sweep of a Vibe pedal to a Phaser, and the MDV was my favorite Vibe out of the ones I had a chance to try.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on September 29, 2015, 04:30:03 PM
Regarding the Phaser... you said "the other pedal." Do you mean the Fulltone MDV? Either way, I think almost all phase-based modulation pedals alter the tone. I guess that's kind of part of the definition of being out of phase - there is some phase cancellation, right? I don't know, but that's also been my experience and I generally also search for modulation pedals that don't hugely impact tone. I loved my Fulltone MDV2, but actually one of the reasons I sold it was because it affected the tone. IIRC, one of the changes Fulltone made from the original vibe circuit was to retain more treble that would otherwise be lost, but I found myself trying to decrease the treble in the MDV2. I also wanted a smaller, simpler pedal and I tend to have a thing for vintage gear, so I tried a handful of MXR Phasers. Out of the vintage ones, each sounded different, but the one I kept was the most transparent and with the least noise (which was the first-run Phase 90, which was also the least metallic sounding). I prefer the sweep of a Vibe pedal to a Phaser, and the MDV was my favorite Vibe out of the ones I had a chance to try.

Hey Heady, yes I was referring to the MDV3. I hope I wasn't confusing, I know phase shifters all alter the tone but I wasn't sure if all of them had a bump in the mids like the LMS I tried - after reading the description a few times I think the builder wanted to do that to sort of get more swirl out of the pedal and more in to vibe territory, other than that I'm not sure. I had the creme MDV for a few years, and sold it to try some other vibes - all of them altered the EQ depending on the way the internal trimmers (with the Fulltones and Foxrox Aquavibe) and that's interesting you had the same findings. For the fun of it, I opened up my MDV3 and twiddled the internal trimmer with that one - these affect the intensity of the "phase pulse" I think, the manual was a little generic but as I tried the extremes of that trimmer I found the same thing kind of going on with the LMS I had - getting into phase land. Fulltone says that these are factory set, but mine was a little weak in the throb and low and behold, the initial setting was off when I opened mine from what was marked at the factory. The throb also increases, but the pedal changes a bit of the EQ. I haven't tried it yet with a band though after tweaking it, well see if it stays that way. I like these vibes the best too, pretty straightforward to figure out. Thanks for the reply!

Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

afountas

Analogman Silver Screamer is INSANE. 

I just bought the Analogman maxon OD-9 with Silver Mod (going from a standard TS9).  I never thought the difference would be so drastic.... worth the $220 for sure.

It's 100% smoother when on full scream and the low and mid range is way better.  For me it was the biggest difference in trying to get the Trey clean scream sound with infinite sustain. 

... now I am going to buy the a 2nd one !!!

Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

Buffered

Quote from: afountas on September 30, 2015, 10:34:54 AM

I just bought the Analogman maxon OD-9 with Silver Mod (going from a standard TS9).  I never thought the difference would be so drastic.... worth the $220 for sure.

It's 100% smoother when on full scream and the low and mid range is way better.  For me it was the biggest difference in trying to get the Trey clean scream sound with infinite sustain. 

They're one of the best OD's I've tried! I had a OD9 silver mod, the only differences IIRC is that the OD9 is true bypass whereas the TS9 is buffered. Did you get that new? I bet you could get a silver for around $130 if you're patient. That's how much I paid for mine off ebay and it was built in 2014 and minty.

Arafel

I'm an AnalogMan junkie. They say it's healthy to admit your addictions. I had Mike silver mod my TS9 about six years ago, and that started an all AnalogMan quest. I now have: TS9 silver, King of Tone, Astro-Tone, Bi-Comprosser, Bi-Chorus, and ARDX20 delay with the Amazeo controller. I've thought about sending my BiComp back for the Rev 4 mod. My only non AM pedals are an RMC Wheels of Fire wah and the TC Ditto Looper, plus the volume pedal and a Korg Pitch Black tuner
Guitars: German custom hollow Tele; Fender 60th anniversary Tele
Amps: Fender Twin Reverb (head conversion) -> Hard Truckers Fatty loaded with Celestion Century Vintages; Bogner New Yorker
Effects: RMC Wheels of Fire wah -> Analog Man King of Tone -> Analog Man Silvermod TS-9 -> Analog Man Astro-Tone-> Analog Man Bi-Comprossor -> Analog Man Bi-Chorus -> Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Analog Delay (with AMAZEO tap-tempo box) -> TC Electronic Ditto X2 looper - Ernie Ball volume pedal

afountas

Quote from: Buffered on September 30, 2015, 12:12:04 PM

Got it new but will try for a used 2nd one on ebay.  I get the TS9 difference isn't true bypass, and see a few on ebay pretty cheap, but figure I'll hold off for another OD9 Silver to match the pair.

They're one of the best OD's I've tried! I had a OD9 silver mod, the only differences IIRC is that the OD9 is true bypass whereas the TS9 is buffered. Did you get that new? I bet you could get a silver for around $130 if you're patient. That's how much I paid for mine off ebay and it was built in 2014 and minty.
[/quote]
Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

Heady Jam Fan

I've had several Silver TS9's and definitely like them, but I prefer my stock TS9's from the 80's. Since money is tight, I was thinking about trying the new mini Tube Screamer and selling my vintage TS9's, but isn't too likely to happen.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on October 01, 2015, 08:25:39 AM

I've had several Silver TS9's and definitely like them, but I prefer my stock TS9's from the 80's. Since money is tight, I was thinking about trying the new mini Tube Screamer and selling my vintage TS9's, but isn't too likely to happen.

To be honest, I didn't like the mini TS very much.  My friend picked one up, and it didn't really sound all that nice to me.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: No Nice Guy on October 01, 2015, 12:59:36 PM

To be honest, I didn't like the mini TS very much.  My friend picked one up, and it didn't really sound all that nice to me.

Interesting - I am always skeptical of the TGP hype-machine ;), but the only opinions over there have been positive. However, I have heard its less smooth / more bite, which is not the direction I'd want to go for a Trey'Jam tone. It might work well for pushing an amp into distortion, but it doesn't sound ideal as the main source of distortion. The size (and cost) is nice though.

afountas

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on October 01, 2015, 01:24:09 PM

Interesting - I am always skeptical of the TGP hype-machine ;), but the only opinions over there have been positive. However, I have heard its less smooth / more bite, which is not the direction I'd want to go for a Trey'Jam tone. It might work well for pushing an amp into distortion, but it doesn't sound ideal as the main source of distortion. The size (and cost) is nice though.

I am super curious to know what a set of stacked OD9 silvers sound like when they're on together. 

Effects:

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: afountas on October 01, 2015, 03:49:59 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on October 01, 2015, 01:24:09 PM

I am super curious to know what a set of stacked OD9 silvers sound like when they're on together. 

They're pretty glorious imo.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo