Quick, single-take sample: New Speaker and Recording Setup

Started by Heady Jam Fan, October 23, 2015, 10:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

https://soundcloud.com/jweingarden/quick-test-recording-setup

Tossed an AmpClamp with a stereo-microphone adapter on my speaker cabinet. On the left is an Audix i5 and on the right is an SM57. There are three guitar tracks. The first was a dirty rhythm using both microphones for a wider sound. The second is the i5 panned hard left. The third is the SM57 panned hard right. The bass was recorded DI. The master volume on my Mesa was at .5 - apartment volume!

Lets make this fun:
I recently swapped out the speaker for a couple reasons - can you guess what it is?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

webephishin

sounds good! what sort of plug-ins did u use to shape the sound of the guitar?  That's not just dry guitar recorded from the amp is it?
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: webephishin on October 24, 2015, 11:49:55 AM
sounds good! what sort of plug-ins did u use to shape the sound of the guitar?  That's not just dry guitar recorded from the amp is it?

Thanks! I hadn't even re-eq'ed my amp after swapping the speaker, or messed around with the microphone placement before that recording. I messed with the mics today to get a fuller, wider sound, and adjusted the EQ a little as well, but I hadn't gotten a chance to do that before recording this quick little sample.

I used a free compressor/limiter plugin called Limiter No.6. I just added a touch of compression, and the built in reverb via the smart control.

I also used a preset master track from garageband that has minor EQ adjustments for a rock-oriented sound, and I added a couple layers of compression and limiting on the master as well.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Down_With_Sco

So what is the speaker? Don't make us guess... these forums are slow enough as it is.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on October 24, 2015, 12:34:24 PM
So what is the speaker? Don't make us guess... these forums are slow enough as it is.

Haha, yeah it is...

EVM12L.

I decided to pop the EV back into the cab because I had been finding a need to turn up a bit more with my band lately, and the Celestion seemed to be distorting a bit. I like a very clean clean tone, so I swapped to the EV, then my band decided to take a hiatus, lol. I was fine with that - wanted to work on some of my own stuff and been busy, so now my gear is at home.

Down_With_Sco

Nice, sounds pretty smooth may I add.

How are you liking the Pitch fork? Were you using something else before for octave/harmonies?
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on October 24, 2015, 01:26:28 PM
Nice, sounds pretty smooth may I add.

How are you liking the Pitch fork? Were you using something else before for octave/harmonies?

Thanks man!

I like the pitchfork - I got it to do the sub-octave thing Trey has been doing in a bit in solos, but I find myself using the setting that adds both the sub-octave and fifth above. It sounds huge and wild for leads / melody. A few years ago (at least) I had a Micro Pog that sounded great - of course it couldn't do 5ths, but it tracked better and warbled less. The Micro sounded great for cleans and dirty, while the Pitchfork sounds better with some overdrive especially if using the 5th above (sub-octave is fine as a faux-bass when clean). I tried a Boss PS5 at one point and did not dig it. Maybe I'll record a single note riff of some sort with the Pitchfork setting I've been using.