Mesa Boogie Head Shell Build

Started by Heady Jam Fan, November 28, 2015, 01:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

The original Accutronics tank was sounding a little metallic / clangy, so I have a MOD tank replacement on the way (hence the face the reverb tank is missing in the pics).

I was going to try to build it from scratch, but found a guy selling pre-made unfinished cabinets for less than it would have costed me for the wood, tools, etc. I'm also building a TRM Tough Truckers 212 and decided to get this head cabinet to match, but the TRM cab hasn't arrived yet.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Down_With_Sco

Nice, I dig it a lot!

Got a link to share? I'd like to look into getting one of those for my blue stripe fairly soon.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on November 28, 2015, 10:05:59 PM
Nice, I dig it a lot!

Got a link to share? I'd like to look into getting one of those for my blue stripe fairly soon.

Thanks man!

I got this one from SorryCharly on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/sorrycharly?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

My old head cabinet was from Coastline Amps on eBay. I have it listed for sale - its black and a bit taller so the reverb could fit without a cutout.

I decided to build this one for two reasons. First, I ordered a TRM Tough Trucker 212 and figured I might as well build a matching head. And second, I like have some projects (my house is getting full of plants I cloned). Both are white pine, which is really easy to work with, and very light (which is a necessity for a 212 or I know I'll sell it). It took 40 minutes to sand the head from 150-600 grit, and I did about 5 or 6 coats of Tung Oil with 0000 steel wool. Drilled for the handle & feet, painted the screws to match the hardware, a little copper tape, and some caning (adding the wicker).
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

seriesnuns

I have close to the same setup as you, Mesa head and TRM hard trucker 2x12. I was debating having a head built, but my black one was in good shape. I also wanted something a little more personal.

I ended up with tie-dye fronts from Courtnay Pollock. He is the guy who did the tie-dye dead backdrops on the 70's and the recent further tour back drops.

I told him what I wanted and he did it up for me. I had to build the frame, which I may have to redo.

Just finished it up today, Check it out!

Heady Jam Fan

Beautiful rig brother!

What do you think of the TRM Cab? Mine just shipped - I'm doing round metal speaker grills rather than tie die.

seriesnuns

It's heavy duty. Is yours finished or are you going to finish? I have the gun oil finish looks good.

I would get the side handles if they didn't come with it much easier to move.  Yea mine came with the hard trucker style clips. Keeps the speakers in pretty tight.

No complaints excepts with speakers it's heavy!

tsbot

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: tsbot on December 04, 2015, 10:34:29 PM
Man am I jealous of those!  Sweet looking amps and setups!

Would this fit in one of those pine head shell?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-III-Red-Stripe-Rack-Head-with-Rack-/272034490236?hash=item3f5684e77c:g:hBgAAOSwYHxWN3L9

Yes it would! I used to have mine in a rack - I looked at that amp when I considered getting a backup MK III.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: seriesnuns on December 04, 2015, 07:23:12 PM
It's heavy duty. Is yours finished or are you going to finish? I have the gun oil finish looks good.

I would get the side handles if they didn't come with it much easier to move.  Yea mine came with the hard trucker style clips. Keeps the speakers in pretty tight.

No complaints excepts with speakers it's heavy!

Really? Heavy? The Pine version ought to be relatively light compared to 212's with ply or other types of wood.

Mine is unfinished - it says on his site he doesn't sell them finished (maybe he used to?), but also that he uses Formby's Tung Oil Finish, which is not Tung Oil at all. I finished my head cabinet with real, 100% pure Tung Oil and will do the same with the 212.

tsbot

How hard is it to swap over to the shell?  Just some screws and plug and play - or is it more than that?

seriesnuns

Mine is Baltic birch plywood. Maybe heavier than pine? Maybe speakers have a bit to do with mine. 1 alnico 1 ceramic.

Tsbot head swaps are pretty easy.

If you do buy a used mark iii make sure the previous owner swapped caps from a reputable tech or you'll end up doing it at a couple hundred cost. I could tell the diffrence after I did mine.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: seriesnuns on December 05, 2015, 10:25:17 AM
Mine is Baltic birch plywood. Maybe heavier than pine? Maybe speakers have a bit to do with mine. 1 alnico 1 ceramic.

Tsbot head swaps are pretty easy.

If you do buy a used mark iii make sure the previous owner swapped caps from a reputable tech or you'll end up doing it at a couple hundred cost. I could tell the diffrence after I did mine.

Yep, the Birch is notably heavier, and a lot of Alnico speakers weigh a bit more. I got Pine.

I thought about taking my Mesa for a cap job. I brought it to a reputable amp builder and he said everything was in good order, but he tends to be conservative about caps. Although I looked myself when I built this head and they seem to be fine. I brought the same amp builder my Fender and he only switched a few caps, so I did the rest myself and noticed a big difference.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: tsbot on December 05, 2015, 09:58:13 AM
How hard is it to swap over to the shell?  Just some screws and plug and play - or is it more than that?

Depends. If you get one pre-made, finished and ready to go it may be as easy as a few screws and your good to go. The one in my original post was not finished, so I had some drilling, sanding, oiling and wickering to do.

Down_With_Sco

Yo Heady, do you still have the empty black shell for sale?
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on January 14, 2016, 05:18:51 PM
Yo Heady, do you still have the empty black shell for sale?

I just sold it the past weekend - sorry man!