Weber Cali vs. Purple Haze

Started by Jkendrick, January 05, 2016, 06:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on January 06, 2016, 04:57:44 PM
Cool. It sounds like that's what I should try. FYI, the comparison to the Cali is simply because that's what I have now. I'm not keen to reduce wattage and I really do love my cleans with the California, but I want something less harsh with OD. Sounds like the Steamboat might be just the ticket.

Yeah, I really liked the Steamboat. I bought one for my DR and then got a second for my Mesa. The Mesa C90 is also similar, but not hemp.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

Got my Steamboat Hemp 100 today. I messed around with it for only about an hour. The cleans aren't as sparkly as the Cali, but the OD is definitely smoother. Obviously it still needs time to break in, but I'm liking it so far. I'm hopeful the cleans will be a bit better once broken in, but I doubt it will ever sound as nice as the California to me. My cleans are decidedly un-Trey. The OD sound I'm getting now is much warmer. With Cali it was more fusiony. Thanks for the recommendations.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on January 19, 2016, 06:56:45 PM
Got my Steamboat Hemp 100 today. I messed around with it for only about an hour. The cleans aren't as sparkly as the Cali, but the OD is definitely smoother. Obviously it still needs time to break in, but I'm liking it so far. I'm hopeful the cleans will be a bit better once broken in, but I doubt it will ever sound as nice as the California to me. My cleans are decidedly un-Trey. The OD sound I'm getting now is much warmer. With Cali it was more fusiony. Thanks for the recommendations.

Sounds like you nailed the comparison. I don't think anything will have the sparkle of a JBL, but British speakers excel with overdrive.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

That's funny, I use a C90 and the Steamboat in 2 1-12" cabs and they go great together. I can definitely point out the differences when they're used alone, but together it just sounds like a wider spread of what I had with just a C90 or the SB100 (If that makes any sense) I thought my Steamboat was very sparkly with my Jerry rig.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on January 20, 2016, 10:47:25 AM
That's funny, I use a C90 and the Steamboat in 2 1-12" cabs and they go great together. I can definitely point out the differences when they're used alone, but together it just sounds like a wider spread of what I had with just a C90 or the SB100 (If that makes any sense) I thought my Steamboat was very sparkly with my Jerry rig.

Yeah the C90 and Steamboat are related speakers, so I could see how the similarities would allow them to blend, but the slight differences would add width. I think the hemp cone on the Steamboat gives it a beefier low-midrange.

I also agree that the Steamboat is sparkly. I wouldn't expect anything to be as sparkly as a JBL style speaker, but that's exactly why they aren't ideal with overdrive - those two features are kind of mutually exclusive I think. But for a hemp, British speaker, I think its top-end is impressive: clear and articulate. Certainly not dark like some more mid-focused British speakers (as compared to American speakers like Jensens), nor does the hemp lessen the treble on the Steamboat like a lot of other hemp cones (C. Rex, Hempopotamus...).

Jkendrick

Yeah the reason I went with the Hemp 100 is the reviews say it doesn't sacrifice TOO much of that sparkliness. Just compared to the California it's a noticeable drop off.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Poster

you guys should just talk to Chris at TT if you need TT info. Great people down there. The PH is very underated. Your deluxe reverb is 22 watts... Also there are very different types of JBLs around. Just get a k120 and check back in. Sounds like you guys need to use the real deal. Its cloth dome is smother and doesn't sound like shit when OD or FUZZ hits it. PH is nothing like about 30% of what a real deal JBL is like. They just cant go back in time and get those materials anymore. Huge fucking alnico magnet is a huge fucking alnico magnet. PH has a pretty small magnet by comparison and competely different materials. I still use them for stuff. But a JBL they aint. And that Weber with a paper cone is more like an E120, and I hate those speakers for icepick, and could never getting into Ted's take on the JBL stuff, that was until I tried their 10 sized JBL tribute - those sound great. Again something you gotta look around the box, when your trying to get 'that' tone.