Cryptical Criticism

Started by Jkendrick, January 06, 2016, 07:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkendrick

I'm considering doing a short 10 minute solo acoustic set at a local open mic. This is somewhat terrifying for me as I've never been on stage alone before and I've never sung lead vocals in any capacity. I'm hoping you guys can give me a bit of constructive criticism. This is Cryptical Envelopment. I think I might lose the riff at the end as it's tough to play and I'll be nervous as is (I screw it up here and it was just me in our family room). Don't be gentle. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jajjrqwAIqs

By the way, the set I'm thinking of would be:

Poor Places - Wilco
Oviedo - Blind Pilot
The Naming of Things - Andrew Bird
Cryptical - GD
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Jkendrick

I know you were probably all taught if don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. But I actually want you to ignore that very good advice. I want to hear some criticism from you all. If rather get it here than embarrass myself at the open mic.
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Walker done done

I think your guitar playing is great, you have good control of what you're doing and execute well.  Sing with more confidence. 

I think it's great you're getting out there, and you should be nervous.  Jerry Garcia was once asked in '93 if, after 30 years of playing, did he still get nervous, and he responded that he absolutely did and that he'd be scared if one day he didn't.  It meant that he still took it seriously and respected what he was doing. 

Being nervous is part of it.  But like any good professional, like a baseball closer when the game is on the line, you have to want to be in that moment and you have to want to be given the ball when it counts.  I've always thought of getting on stage like that.  That's what I WANT to do, that's where I WANT to be, so be nervous, or rather what I call having anticipation (because it's not really nerves; I'm not "worried" about being up there or how I'm going to perform - all that shit goes away once you're up there), as you lead up to the gig, but once you get out there, execute and let all your hours of practicing flourish.  Do what you came to do.  Do. Your. Job.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Hans Moleman

When I started singing nerves were extremely high too, I can relate. I've become comfortable playing guitar on stage (nervous but comfortable with it), but the singing thing really threw me for a loop. One recommendation I'd make would be to start out with some songs that are crazy simple on the guitar. For your first few on stage experiences it'll be helpful to not have to worry about the guitar playing at all. Something where you can just strum away. Also, while you're strumming and singing, concentrate on your breathing. It will 1) help your singing and 2) give you something else to concentrate on. Just from my own experience getting into the singing side of things.

tsbot

Good thread and nice playing - also very strong of you to throw it out here and ask for real feedback.  We are always our own worst critics - which is good and bad.  My wife told me my New Years resolution (glad she's in charge haha) is to play one open mic a month.   I like the KiSS theory to start.  When is the big day?

Jkendrick

Thanks everyone. I understand the KISS and I do feel I've chosen relatively easy tunes. But I also don't want just simple strummers. My strength is the guitar not my vocals. So I want to at least have some interesting guitar parts that will distract from my singing. ;) As for when, I'm not sure. This is the open mic:

http://thegoodfoot.com/sonic-forum/

It's every Monday. I'm starting an intense one year Masters program this Monday (after 22 since I graduated), so it won't be this Monday. Probably about a month. I've been to this open mic and I was surprised how good most of the performances were. Which is great, but also makes me a bit more nervous.

Does anyone have specific feedback on the ending? The riff at the end is cool as I feel it helps bring it close better than the chromatic walk up riff. But it is a tricky riff and I flub it often even when I'm not nervous. Do you think it adds enough to keep it should I lose it?