Amp Choices Help/Opinions

Started by tsbot, January 07, 2016, 08:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsbot

Looking for suggestions/opinions.  I've been getting help from some folks here and now I'm torn. I play through a Hard Truckers 2x12 w Celestion V30's and of course the G2.    

I got a Mesa Mark III red stripe long head a few weeks ago, didn't think I liked it at first, but now I've dialed it in pretty good and am digging it.  I also have a handwired Deluxe Reverb Blackface AB763 (specifically a Vintage Sound 22), that has a mid circuit, mod to take out trem, reverb on both channels etc.  I can't keep both and have folks (some here) interested in the Mesa - I listed it a week after I got it, but now I've had time to play it more.  I don't play out much, usually the basement, but brining a head and cab if I was to go to a buddy's house or elsewhere is a lot vs just the DR combo.  I feel the Mesa can do what the DR does, but the DR cannot do everything the Mesa does.   I like the idea of the Mesa, but its an older amp of course, has been gone through by Mesa in 2011, but you never know when it'll need more work.  My DR is new in late 2013.  The DR gets a little dull turned down, where the Mesa has the MV that works pretty well.  Somebody on The Gear Page has been helping me dial in the DR, stating to change the rectifier to a solid state and maybe a speaker change (it has a WGS V30 in it - but a true speaker change to me would be the two of them in my Hard Truckers cab, it also has JJ 6V6s's - which are close to 6L6's I've heard, but I've thought about going to true 6L6's in it - it has external bias points).  

I don't want to dump money in the DR if I'm going to sell it.  But if I can mod it more (6l6's, ss rectifier, maybe speakers), will it get the sound more articulate at lower volume, and not break up too much at volume 4?

I know the true DR is modded and played through a Bruno 4x12 with Alnico Blues - of which I will prob never get.  So sticking to the true sound would be the Mesa in the HT w V30's.  

Thanks for reading and your opinions - and stay tuned because one of them will be for sale!

seriesnuns

You can have your DR modded for a master volume. I believe it's called either pre and post phase inverter.

I had it done in my old Reverend Hellhound. Just find a good tech as it may involve adding resistors and volume pot. I also added mine in 4 ohm hole so it didn't need any holes drilled and was completely reversable.

I would stick it out with the Mark iii. I really dig this amp and how it takes all kinds of effects and how easy and simple the controls are to tweak. If I was checked out in 2011 I wouldn't think much could go wrong with it of you take care of it.

Jkendrick

Wait the mk3 is EASY AND SIMPLE to tweak!?  Mine was a bitch. In late 80s/early 90s there was no Internet to help me though. The difficulty I had dialing it in is why I sold it all those years ago.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

tsbot

Quote from: Jkendrick on January 07, 2016, 09:11:04 PM
Wait the mk3 is EASY AND SIMPLE to tweak!?  Mine was a bitch. In late 80s/early 90s there was no Internet to help me though. The difficulty I had dialing it in is why I sold it all those years ago.

Haha!  That's why I sold my first one when I got my Artinger 2 years ago too.  Always tweaking!  Now it sounds good but my mental roadblock is still present.  However the roadblock goes away knowing I play it w my G2 like Big Red :) - although it comes back (roadblock) knowing I completely suck comparatively.  See my dilemma  ;D

seriesnuns

I had a lonestar special that had a few more gain stages and could really get intricate where each time level affected the next and you really had to study the manual.

You set your gain and volume by adjusting the volume and master. After you balance that out adjust your tone left to right. Then the presence to further darken or brighten the tone. You can do your Eq around the same time as the your shaping your tone. I would also adjust the push pulls at the end.

Mesa manuals are pretty good at describing how the amp works. If your constantly adjusting your input level via OD level or compressor level then I find myself compensating by adjusting the volume and master.

I also find the master really sensitive. Like 1/16" of an inch makes a huge difference in volume.

http://mesaboogie.com/media/User%20Manuals/Mark%20III.pdf