Main Menu

Scale Legnth

Started by CrazyLegs, January 08, 2016, 12:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyLegs

Hi guys, long time reader first time poster.  I'm currently playing a Gibson ES 339 and I'm relatively happy with it for Phish material, but I've been looking for a long time for a guitar with a 25.5" scale length guitar with a like a 12" radius. Hollow or semi hollow.  What's the group think on solving this problem? What do most of you guys use for a Trey style guitar? Many Thanks!

bigebeer

I got a Phred and love it. Really a nice guitar for the price. There were some cosmetic issues but I don't really care about that since it plays so nice. I put about $200 in upgrades to it and it now plays and sounds like a $2000+ guitar.

Heady Jam Fan

I have a Phred and Artinger - Love them both! The Artinger is pricier and has a 25 inch fret scale. I thought about a PRS Hollowbody as a medium cost option with a 25 inch scale. Some people like the Schecter C-1 E/A semi-hollows for a  cheaper alternative.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

afountas

I used to to have a Schecter C-1 E/A and it was a very nice guitar.  If you get one I would recommend swapping out the pickups though. The PRS semi-hollow bodies have an awesome (and distinctive) tone and are beautifully built instruments. 

The biggest differences I've experienced with high end vs. mid to low end guitars is, the high end instruments are less temperamental during changes of season.  Also, the feel of the neck and frets are substantially better.  I've got a 2014 built Equator that I love it more than any guitar I've ever picked up..   I also have an Olson, which is very very mediocre... actually sort of crappy.  Lastly, I have an american Strat deluxe which is killer just can't deliver the tone I'm looking for like the Equator.

Reason, I mention those instruments is that, as I acquired them, it became very clear that you get what you pay for.  If you have the cash, I would recommend buying a high end instrument. It's something you will have literally forever (as long as you take care of it).  And, If you play a lot, it's an investment into a musical education.
Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: afountas on January 08, 2016, 02:53:55 PM
I used to to have a Schecter C-1 E/A and it was a very nice guitar.  If you get one I would recommend swapping out the pickups though. The PRS semi-hollow bodies have an awesome (and distinctive) tone and are beautifully built instruments. 

The biggest differences I've experienced with high end vs. mid to low end guitars is, the high end instruments are less temperamental during changes of season.  Also, the feel of the neck and frets are substantially better.  I've got a 2014 built Equator that I love it more than any guitar I've ever picked up..   I also have an Olson, which is very very mediocre... actually sort of crappy.  Lastly, I have an american Strat deluxe which is killer just can't deliver the tone I'm looking for like the Equator.

Reason, I mention those instruments is that, as I acquired them, it became very clear that you get what you pay for.  If you have the cash, I would recommend buying a high end instrument. It's something you will have literally forever (as long as you take care of it).  And, If you play a lot, it's an investment into a musical education.

Nice selection. I've heard the same thing about the Schecter; if I ever get one, I'd plan to make a project out of it. At the cost, I'd probably upgrade the tuners, maybe bridge, pickups, add push-pull pots for coil-tapping... Considering the changes over seasons, I've been missing a guitar I had with a graphite neck for that reason. At my new place with central air, its more consistent, but there are some venues I'd walk into and every guitarist's instrument starts freaking out and losing tune.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

CrazyLegs

Thanks guys for the input.  Basically the take away is that as far as "production" guitars goes the Schecter is really the only off the shelf choice.

I couldn't agree more about buying quality gear.  I have come to realize that there really isn't any point in making a mental compromise, you just end up throwing good money (that you could be saving and putting towards something better...) away.  I have a 90's custom shop strat, and an newish Gibson R8 that i use for general rocking out, but I'm finding myself in a pick up Phish cover band and one really needs the hollow bite of a "Trey" style guitar. 

So the PRS is an interesting choice, people seem to like those, yes? Seems like a guitar that was either built for jazz players or decidedly for Phishheads. 

thanks again dudes!

Jkendrick

When you guys are considering a longer scale length is it for tone or for the physical differences in fretting? Or both? My PRS has a 25" scale length with a 10" radius. I practice so much more with my acoustic these past few years that I'm starting to prefer a flatter radius. But would scale length factor into that?
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

tsbot

Check out these guys on Facebook and their videos - lots of close up Treys's leads and such, mostly w a PRS.
He plays quite well.

https://www.facebook.com/7belowphish/

fluffytone72

I have a gibson es 339 and a suhr classic antique with HSS configuration.  I love both guitars dearly, but I really think the Suhr antique gets closer to trey tones for me.  Can't speak highly enough about those guitars.  The scale length will give you some of that Trey "quack" or whatever you want to call it, and the humbucker gets great smooth, fusion tones.  Granted, I am playing through a Divided by 13 FTR 37, which everything kind of sounds smooth through, but don't overlook the Suhr line if your down to spend up a little bit.  Also, with the 339, try upgrading the stock volume pots and work that middle position with some neck rolled off if you haven't already.

Buffered

I definitely agree that part of Trey's "snap" to his tone comes from the longer scale length. I can definitely hear the difference between my Gibson ES339 and PRS DGT (25") Jer's guitars also had a strat scale length with helps with the "snap." I can't really explain it, but I think it's there. Call me crazy...
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation