Help me pick a delay

Started by Buffered, January 08, 2016, 01:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Hey all,

So after digging and tweaking my DD-500 for the last few months, I decided to KISS and sold it - I mostly used the DM-2 and analog/tape settings with the Tap Tempo (useful live IMHO) With the fundage, I'd like to switch to a smaller form factor delay, preferably with Top Jacks (pedalboard orientation, although I can swing side jacks if necessary) I like sweary sounds, fattening up leads or a shorter delay time if I'm playing chords. I tend to like darker sounding delays as well. What would you guys recommend for something like this? Should I go back to a TC Flashback?

Here's some items I'm interested in:

Cusack Tap-A-Delay
DLS EchoTap
Empress VMSD – Owned, didn't work well with my FX loop for some reason
Eventide H9 – Expensive and out of budget
JHS Panther – Does this have Top Jacks?
Line6 DL4 – Too big
TC Nova Repeater – Owned a few times, great pedal. Only things I don't like about TC are the footswitches and knowing my signal is converted to digital.
Strymon El Cap – Really love the Tape sounds, but can it be the only delay on my board?
Strymon Timeline – Too Big/Too Many Features
T-Rex Replica – Very interested in this - there's one local to me for sale as well.
Way Huge Supa Puss – Very interested in this, Heady what didn't you like about this?

Thanks
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

bigebeer

May be too pig for you and the jacks are in the wrong place but check out the Pigtronix Echolution 2 (you don't need the recently released version as the software is the same). It replaced 3 other delay pedals that I sold off so it paid for itself. Great sounds and flexibility.

Arafel

I've got the AnalogMan ARDX-20 Dual Delay with the Amazeo Tap Tempo control box and it sounds incredible. Highly recommend it. I know Chuck Garvey from moe. uses it.

Delay: http://www.buyanalogman.com/category_s/513.htm
AMAZEO: http://www.buyanalogman.com/category_s/625.htm
Guitars: German custom hollow Tele; Fender 60th anniversary Tele
Amps: Fender Twin Reverb (head conversion) -> Hard Truckers Fatty loaded with Celestion Century Vintages; Bogner New Yorker
Effects: RMC Wheels of Fire wah -> Analog Man King of Tone -> Analog Man Silvermod TS-9 -> Analog Man Astro-Tone-> Analog Man Bi-Comprossor -> Analog Man Bi-Chorus -> Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Analog Delay (with AMAZEO tap-tempo box) -> TC Electronic Ditto X2 looper - Ernie Ball volume pedal

Buffered

Quote from: Arafel on January 08, 2016, 04:09:49 PM
I've got the AnalogMan ARDX-20 Dual Delay with the Amazeo Tap Tempo control box and it sounds incredible. Highly recommend it. I know Chuck Garvey from moe. uses it.

Delay: http://www.buyanalogman.com/category_s/513.htm
AMAZEO: http://www.buyanalogman.com/category_s/625.htm

Funny you mention that one, I had it and loved it - but then I was like "gahh I need moar delay time and presets and things!" (which I actually don't) I would definitely be happy with just the ARDx20 for two delay times - I heard analogmike is coming out with an updated ARDx20 this year with the amazeo built in.

I'd really like to check out the Walrus Bellweather, but I heard it's hissy and has bad white noise and is a bit out of budget @ $300ish used, especially if it has issues....

Part of me just wants to get a cheapie Flashback and move on with my life - the audio tapping was actually nice I thought.
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

picture_of_nectar

1+ for the ARDX20 w/Amazeo

I Have two delays that give me a ton of options the Analogman, and a TC Flashback Tripple delay that has a ridiculous amount of delay settings available.

The ARDX20 just has a sweet lush analog tone that reminds me of the Maxon AD9, only with much more flexibility with the Amzeo unit.

I haven't even scratched the surface on the Flashback yet, honestly I am still just using the 3 presets it came with loaded because they are great (one is a reverse delay, one is a ambient delay with lots of repeats, and the other is set up as a subtle slapback)

So between those two pedals I have 5 different delays with tap tempo on 4 of them.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Heady Jam Fan

Well, I already mentioned the AD9 on another thread, but I'll mention it again. I love it. I've seen a few vintage ones sell cheap (just over $100) recently. It's simple and in the background so you just set and forget. The Carbon Copy is kinda cool if you prefer more modern pedals. Not as dark as the AD9, but does some more far-out sounds if thats what your into. Both kick the Flaskback's ass IMO.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

dontpanic

Boss dd-7. Lots of features with great sounding analog "mode."

Only complaint is no storage for preset delays-I'm currently looking to pick up a super cheap dohner black arts for this. Check these out too.

Happyorange27

I love my Flashback x4. Really clear delays and tap tempo is a must for me. I didn't like the regular Flashback strum tempo since it requires a few seconds of cutting your signal then you have to strum a few beats. It's a huge distraction. Anyway the x4 saves 3 presets on the first three buttons so you always have 3 delays at your disposal. And the knobs are very foot friendly if you need to tweak in the fly.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Buffered

Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 09, 2016, 12:25:06 PM
I love my Flashback x4. Really clear delays and tap tempo is a must for me. I didn't like the regular Flashback strum tempo since it requires a few seconds of cutting your signal then you have to strum a few beats. It's a huge distraction. Anyway the x4 saves 3 presets on the first three buttons so you always have 3 delays at your disposal. And the knobs are very foot friendly if you need to tweak in the fly.

I didn't find it that distracting, using it live I've always strummed in the setting at the start of songs but you're right it's tough on the fly.

I'm going to try out a Replica this weekend, the dude might be interesting in trading for one of my OD's which helps. It's a digital delay, but really has nice crisp analog tones in it as well.

fluffytone72

Source Audio Nemesis.  Look into it.  It's new and it's the best out there.

Buffered

Ended up with a Replica! Yay!

Poster

got a retro sonic analog delay from the guitarist from the steve miller band. all from a tip from al schnier from moe. Best minimalist slapback delay I've heard in a pedal form factor. Kills at that barely on garcia delay also. Just plain awesome. Mine came with the settings still markered on it, but it basically at the lowest weakest settings possible. Just plain awesome! I've tried probably over a hundred delay pedals now - time flies!